Su-35S and Su-30MKI 1/48 builds

paulsbrown

I am doing the two together, the Su-30MKI is a ton of work so I've started the Kitty Hawk Su-35 as an easy side project (hopefully).

The Su-30MKI will be Blue 01 prototype which crashed at the Paris air show. So a lot of carving and fitting the Sol Su-35 (Su-27M) canards to the Academy fuselage but the major part of beginning has been the cockpit. I have the Neomega Su-30 cockpit but the MKI is a different layout so the front and back consoles had to be remade. I tried making some resin copies of what I made with plastic card but I'm new to casting and gave up.zS6aCtx.jpgtGuqsAX.jpgGESM6JX.jpg

.NZpNQJK.jpgoBKZ6xX.jpg

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

That is a great start, lots of work too. Like the cockpit. What is the Akan code for the cockpit paint you are using, looks lovely,

Cheers

Thanks Valkyrie, it's the 73069 Grey Dark Blue interior color, lightened with white probably by 50% for the Su-30 and about 25% for the Su-35.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, exdraken said:

An Mki!!

Great choice and good start!

The 01 only had the standard Su-27 single nose wheel if I remember correctly!

Thanks exdraken,

06 had the single nose wheel and 01 has the twin. 01 also has the larger stars which was the decider for me.

VpKvAmp.jpg

• Like 1

Looking great! The cockpit paint from Akan definitely improves with the addition of a touch of white like you have done. Great progress on these, you must have a good space to work in.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good Paul.

Look forward to see your progress on the Su-30mki 

I have been thinking about building it for the last 15 years or so...

Any chance to see some pictures of your collection of Flankers in 48th?

You got a new follower.

Cheers

Adrian

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Been trying to catch the Su-30MKI up with the Su-35.

The Su-35 coming together without issue, wings on and AKAN eggplant and light blue coats on, next will be the various grey radiotransparent panels.

The Su-30 needed a lot of catch up at this point so I put the Su-35 aside and resumed finishing the added canards, just a few spots not quite smooth enough so more putty and sanding!

Then on to the intakes, I do really appreciate all the latest Flankers having one piece intakes, the Academy 2 part intakes are so fragile.

6KGv3q2.jpgV9BfJQQ.jpgvwIfNzA.jpg

In these photos working on squeezing in the excellent A.M.U.R. Reaver engines which do require some brute tactics being much bigger than the Academy or even Cutting Edge nozzles.  I also added a new tail cone, new resin nose, the HUD, Fairy Hobby canopy and rudder extensions (which need sanding down). 

Nearly ready for some paint but first I will finish the cockpit and canopies. The AKAN Su-30MKI colors look pretty good so far, I always test the colors on a 1/144 kit to get a better idea of 

accuracy. 

kMnpPOs.jpg

Ssl4p1q.jpg FodsGvYA.jpg

• Like 2

Getting the engines in was pretty much just brute force. The larger cans leave a 1/4" gap that I filled with card and putty and just forced down the area that holds the tail and elevator with a lot of glue and big clamps. The stinger's gap was easier given that it's pretty hidden by the engines and also needed to be made a little bigger and longer for this one.

WOW Paul that`s some pretty good progress.

Is there a significant different in size between the two.

The Academy kit is considerably smaller than the Hobbyboss but I haven`t compare it with the Kitty Hawk.

Cheers

Adrian  

5 hours ago, adrianm2 said:

The Academy kit is considerably smaller than the Hobbyboss but I haven`t compare it with the Kitty Hawk.

Thanks!

Yes I've heard Academy included the pitot in the aircraft's nose to tail measurements so it was always a little under scale as a kit. I've got Academy/Sol/HB?KHs up on the shelf together and they still look fine together so I'm not too distracted. 

Here's a minor update with a photo from the other day where I was just about ready to start the final painting. As of this weekend all the rescribing and smoothing out is done and have started with the camo. 

AKAN pale blue base coat is now down and two darker colors are coming next (the dark blue here was just to simplify masking around the IRST and Fairy Hobby windscreen). mUPvBYk.jpg

• Like 1

The dark blue and the overall pale blue were excellent matches according to my references but I ended up greying down the middle blue for a better match.

The 1/144 model has all the attempts to get there.

Just to be safe I did all three colors on one of the elevators before spraying the whole thing. Next will be some clean up of overspray and then hopefully it's all down hill from there.

MN5criq.jpgnkkjreU.jpgmOQPM4z.jpg

• Like 3