Alam Halfa Ridge: 3RTR at Leaguer, 1st September 1942

In two days' time, on 23rd October 2017, will be the 75th anniversary of what is widely regarded as the 'Battle of El Alamein' - more accurately, the Second Battle of Alamein. That this will in all probability receive at least some coverage in the national news will not come as a great surprise; indeed, such commemorations are vital in remembering the sacrifices made in the name of freedom. Almost as a natural consequence, however, the importance of other battles leading up to 'Alamein' is all but unknown to the lay person. The Battle of Alam Halfa is, I believe, one such event. Commencing on 31st August 1942, it raged for about a week, finally petering out by 6th September with the withdrawal of the Axis forces. It was the last offensive mounted by the Germans in North Africa, and they were soundly beaten in all but name. My personal belief is that what prevented the battle being more widely publicised is Montgomery's refusal to be drawn into pursuit of the retreating Axis forces. Because of this he received a fair amount of criticism from many, Churchill included, for being 'over-cautious'. Perhaps more telling, though, is the comment made by his Axis opposite number, Rommel: "The swine didn't come out!" History now relates, of course, that the weeks of preparation time that Alam Halfa bought Montgomery were put to good use, and the resulting success of the attack on 23rd October was in large measure due to that.

It would be fair to say that I have, over the past few years, developed a personal interest in the Battle of Alam Halfa, since learning of my late father's possible involvement in it. I say 'possible' because his untimely death at the age of 43, just 3 weeks before my 3rd birthday, robbed me of any chance I would ever have of actually hearing his experiences in his words. His service record - the retrieval of which was itself something of a detective mystery - revealed little in the way of campaign or battle details, aside from a brief reference to his being wounded in action on 1st September 1942:

37796215352_3657c8d034_b.jpg

Thus my desire to find out more was sparked.

36583553934_5ae19519c8_b.jpg

Trooper William John Tucker, 7890460

His attestation papers showed William John Tucker enlisted into the 44th Royal Tank Regiment in Bristol in January 1939, aged 19. Thereafter, a series of transfers, temporary promotions (Acting Lance Corporal), not to say demotion back to Trooper (for refusal to obey an order), and even a harrowing sea voyage from Greenock in Scotland to Port Said in Egypt aboard no less a vessel than RMS Queen Mary, culminated in his joining the 3rd Royal Tank Regiment on 20th July 1942.

At this point, hard facts around his movements start to become increasingly difficult to come by, to be replaced by conjecture, and, some might be forgiven for saying, 'wishful thinking'. Such facts as there are about 3RTR's activities during this period are recorded in the Regimental Diary. Typically, other ranks were not mentioned by name save to record their death, so there is no specific mention of my father by name. There are, however, tantalising glimpses of events in which he would in all probability have been involved. There is mention, for example, of the arrival of 137 reinforcement personnel on 20th July, which coincided with the known date of his arrival in Egypt. The mention, on 23rd July, of a fortnight's training being organised in readiness for the arrival of American-built M3 Grant tanks, led me to suppose that he, as a trained tank driver, would also have been amongst those receiving training. From there, to the mention of the regiment's casualty count at the end of 1st September (one officer, five other ranks wounded) led me to suppose that he was one of those five. Indeed it's possible that those six, including my father, were the crew of one Grant. However, the fact that the regiment suffered loss and damage to Grants and Crusaders that day means that I can't be 100% certain of this, nor even his being in a Grant when he was injured. Nor, of course, did it mention the nature of his injuries. His service record showed his being out of action until 15th September, so it's likely that he would have been evacuated to the rear before the end of the day. Therefore, I've used a bit of licence to include a full crew in the diorama. Not only that, I've portrayed the tank and its crew 'at leaguer' at the end of the fighting on 1st September. However, the regimental diary shows that the withdrawal to night leaguer took place after 7:30pm, by which time it would have been getting dark!

I had hoped to have this diorama completed in time for the 75th anniversary of my father being wounded, however it was not to be. In retrospect, I would have to admit to spending too long on interior detailing on the vehicle that simply will not be seen; that said, no experience can be truly called bad experience if one can learn something from it, and I learned plenty. Regardless of its lateness, I am proud to dedicate this dio to my father, and his RTR colleagues many of whom failed to return home at the end of the war. If you would like to follow the WIP for the tank, you can find it here. There are separate WIP threads for the figures here, and the diorama base here. The tank also has its own RFI thread, here, in case you interested in just the tank.

So finally, here is - my first diorama, 'Alam Halfa Ridge: 3RTR at Leaguer, 1st September 1942'. I hope you enjoy these few photos; I have enjoyed the whole project immensely, and although there are things that I might have done differently or better, at least I now have some experience to build on.

Comments, criticisms all welcome!

37796124182_dcf8331c05_b.jpg

37779434316_421ce123fc_b.jpg

37828389141_ff82608810_b.jpg

37828387881_deff82d1a4_b.jpg

37828384341_52c46a4343_b.jpg

37828379921_b6af564b2b_b.jpg

37828376061_6c90e55978_b.jpg

37828373731_8e56850496_b.jpg

37779422556_252ba4480a_b.jpg

37828366221_b16722b5e2_b.jpg

37569941550_c93617114f_b.jpg

37828360351_778f7f495d_b.jpg

37796101592_c405e88e15_b.jpg

37796100012_956fdd160a_b.jpg

37117855064_ba273f972f_b.jpg

37828348761_4b2f81a059_b.jpg

37569929820_2bc93839a5_b.jpg

37117842144_178e366157_b.jpg

37569928010_98b5fc1f03_b.jpg

37569926280_9f58178969_b.jpg

• Like 46
  • Thanks 3

An interesting and informative introduction to this superb tribute, Clive.

I've already commented on your Grant and figures during your WIPs, so I will give others a chance to heap praise upon them!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1

Clive

A great and very fitting tribute. Lots of detective work to get to the scene, which is always of interest, and a wonderful re-creation of a scene that was (no doubt) repeated many times across the North African deserts and the many days and nights spent there by valiant troops (of both sides).

No matter that it has arrived later than originally planned - it still serves as a heart warming reminder to those of who vow never to forget the efforts and sacrifices of those who have gone before us.

All the best

Kev

• Thanks 1

That's a superb diorama.

Hacking around at figures to get the exact pose you want is always difficult; and then there's the painting that has to be done.

These figures look terrific and I bet they look even better from normal viewing distances.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Hamden said:

Stunning Tribute as well as workmanship!

Every small detail thought of and recreated OUTSTANDING!

Roger

Cheers Roger, very kind of you :thumbsup2:

5 hours ago, Gimme Shelter said:

wow - such brilliant work - so much to see, so much going on - right down to the toilet roll

smashing modelling

Thanks 'Gimme' much appreciated  :)

Absolutely outstanding work and attention to detail. Very inspiring - the painting detail is fantastic. The 1/72 Airfix 'Lee/Grant Tank' was one of my favourites from my youth and your personal story about tracking back on your Dad's service record is absolutely fascinating. Well done and more power to your elbow! Regards, Mike.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...