1/43 Ferrari 166 Allemano Spider

Ladies and gentleman I present my latest: Derby Automodelli’s 1/43 scale resin Ferrari 166 Allemano Spider. It’s built pretty much OOB, except that I replaced the kit’s exhaust pipes with brass tube. It’s depicted as the 1948 Targa Florio-winning car #36.

z (1)

z (2)

z (4)

z (5)

z (6)

z (7)

There were a couple of errors in the kit – mainly regarding decal placement – the number on the boot being spaced either side of the number plate for instance (photo below came to the rescue there, courtesy Targapedia), and the instructions also direct you to place leather straps on the bonnet, but they were not present for the 1948 Targa (but we installed for the Mille Miglia a month later).

zz 2 36 Targa 1948  (3)

This car was the only 166 with Allemano Spider coachwork and also one of the first Ferraris built. It was ordered by Count Bruno Sterzi as chassis #001S and delivered to him on 4th February 1948 with Milan registration number MI 11 1176. The 1948 Targa on 3rd and 4th April was its first race, where it was driven by Clemente Biondetti with Igor Troubetskoy as his navigator.

By the time the car raced next (at the 1948 Mille Miglia in May) it had been modified with a larger radiator and grille, as seen below. It seems to have disappeared after the 1951 Targa Florio, and following a few ownership changes, but it’s rumoured to be still alive ‘somewhere in Italy’.

zz 3 178 1948 MM

• Like 4