Early Airfix out the box Buccaneer.

Another trip down memory lane...

Airfix_T2_Bucc.jpg

The Airfix Buccaneer in its early days. So early, it's still an NA39!

I've built it using old paint and glue, following the box top illustration.  Yup, that's blue on the top surface!

Apologies if any serious modellers have just spat tea all over their screens.

I can turn out a detailed model on occasion, these early kind of builds have a firm grip on me though.  Keeping things uncomplicated gets kits built at a higher rate than going all superdetailed. Both ways suit me just fine.

Tony.

Edited by TonyW
Correction
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Fab! I have to admit I love building these old kits too, and having just been given a copy of a book called 'Buccaneer Boys' this type may well be on my radar soon too! 

Great result,

Ray

That's a lovely looking NA39. 

That's a great bit of nostalgia seeing the good old tube glue again . 

There's nothing wrong with building these old kits in the way they were and with the materials that were available at the time.

I personally think it's a good thing every  now and then to go back to basics purely for your own pleasure. 

A great model and thanks for sharing it. 

• Like 1

I don't know what number Humbrol that copperycolour is but man I reckon that went on a few kits I built as a kid!

Nothing wrong at all with a fun build for pure enjoyment.....that's what it's all about isn't it :)

Cheers

Bruce

Just had a look on Scalemates and it shows this boxing as 1960, and was still being churned out until 1989! Were the decals still usable? Your model looks very good, more photos would be nice.

Not being a collector, I love to see these old kits built – it's what they were made for. I feel a little sorry for those kits that will never achieve their potential.

3 hours ago, rholland said:

I built this kit in the same colours in or about 1968. Brilliant stuff, well done!

Richard in NZ

Now that rings a bell, reckon mine was about the same time. I really should dig it out ( yes, still got it) & give it a tidy up.

I do like your's Tony, I really enjoy these nostalgia builds. :)

Steve.

I've dug through my files looking for more pictures of the model. My files are a bit of a jungle though. Here's a few to get on with for now...

Buc_2.jpg

IMG_3857.jpg

I get as much enjoyment out of setting up photo's as I do building and collecting. Win/win if you ask me!

I have a Buccaneer finished in a more accurate grey somewhere. Still finished in a very basic way, but slightly more accurate. When I find pictures I'll add them here.

How about the US Airfix take on the plane...

buc_4.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Gorby said:

Just had a look on Scalemates and it shows this boxing as 1960, and was still being churned out until 1989! Were the decals still usable? Your model looks very good, more photos would be nice.

Not being a collector, I love to see these old kits built – it's what they were made for. I feel a little sorry for those kits that will never achieve their potential.

The decals were fine. That's not always the case though. I usually give them a coat or two of clear before using, to give them a better chance of working. They generally need quite a soak as well.

I fully understand you feeling sorry for old kits not being built. Luckily Airfix issued the same kits in about a million different boxes over the years, meaning builders are plentiful. A fair few of my old style builds are from later issues, built with old paints and decals. I won't build a mint original old kit though. If it's survived up to now in one bit, it won't be me who builds it. Fortunately there's a ton of kits to go around, so everyone can please themselves.

Tony.

• Like 2

Here's the blue NA39 again, a bit of forced perspective got it flying over an Airfix HMS Fearless diorama that never got finished.

Buc_3.jpg

And here's the proper grey one...

Buc_grey.jpg

The wings fold and the nosecone folds back on this one. As a ten year old I was mightily impressed by these features. These days less so, the nose cone has a habit of opening a fraction while on display, and looking a bit wrong. 

Tony.

• Like 4

Cracking project Tony,looks a superb end result too,funny as I was scrolling down the post I thought I remembered some dramatic box art

for this kit and there it is!

This really takes me back. The old Arfix glue, stick a pin in the end as it didn’t come with a top. I also remember the old Airfix paints in the glass jars. I suddenly have a yearning to build retro style :D

13 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Not half as wrong as the Zero's on the US boxing!

Some of the US Craftmaster/Airfix box tops are so bad they are fantastic! The Sunderland and Walrus look like the end of the worlds arrived. I'm not sure if the Sunderland is rescuing the blokes in the raft, or bombing them!

IMG_8548.jpg

The EE Lightning below has to be unique, showing the plane doomed. I think a bit of US pride might not have let the American kids see the plane at the top of it's game.

IMG_8531.jpg

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, cngaero said:

That's a lovely looking NA39. 

That's a great bit of nostalgia seeing the good old tube glue again . 

There's nothing wrong with building these old kits in the way they were and with the materials that were available at the time.

I personally think it's a good thing every  now and then to go back to basics purely for your own pleasure. 

A great model and thanks for sharing it. 

The tube of glue,brings back memories.

16 minutes ago, glatisant said:

The tube of glue,brings back memories.

I remember the tiny little tube of glue that used to come with the early Frog kits. In fact the in oldest kits in my stash, the little tubes are now solid, but I still leave them there purely for nostalgia. 

• Like 2