Fairy Power Spray Help Wanted!

Max Headroom

I have a Tamiya  Beaufighter to do as a nightfigter in overall black and am debating on how to do the weathered RDM Special Night look. To do this I will need a paint mule to experiment on.

Enter the newish Airfix 1/72 Defiant. This was rattle canned with Humbrol Black.

37786919072_b43a1a0279_b.jpg

37818936721_4c5bf5f278_b.jpg

You can see it didn’t go well......I blame the lack of primer underneath, the black being sprayed directly onto unprepared plastic.

So it has to come off.

Hidden in the kitchen I found this bottle of Fairy Power Spray

37770145606_9025782abc_b.jpg

I have heard good things about this stuff and it’s power to remove cruddy paint jobs. However what I have not seen is how to work with it. I know it’s alkaline and so gloves will be needed, but how long does it need to be left on? I’ve read somewhere that it needs overnight, but the label on the back of the bottle says up to 15 minutes!

Obviously I do not want to leave it too long, otherwise I fear that I will end up with plastic gloop in the bottom of my plastic(?) container.

Next problem is how to remove the residue off the model. Do I wipe it off, rinse it, or will it need scrubbing with a toothbrush?

All tips gratefully received!

Thanks 

Trevor

Hi, why not test it out on a tailplane first to see how it works. I have sprayed it onto the plastic and left to for 10-15 mins and found the paint comes off by rubbing gently with an old toothbrush or cut down paint brush whilst using water to clean the area. I have never it on overnight as I never needed to as it is powerful stuff. 

HTH

Robert

• Thanks 1

FPS will not dissolve the plastic.

Spray onto the model; place in a zip-lock plastic bag for some hours; remove and scrub off loosened paint under a running tap; use an old toothbrush, a nail-brush and even a washing up sponge scourer- all may be needed

MrMuscle oven cleaner works faster

• Like 2

IIRC they changed the formula of Fairy Power Spray a couple of years back, if you've got an old bottle it'll work fine (I usually left mine overnight either in a plastic container for small parts or in a loosely tied carrier bag for larger parts) the new formula stuff which I believe has a lemon scent isn't as strong or as effective as it used to be.

• Like 1

The Lemon scent certainly does not work, but the standard is still available on the supermarket shelf next to the lemon version.

I forgot to say that a regular squirt of Fairy washing-up liquid on the softened paint helps to get it off the plastic. The soft paint goes a bit like grease; hard to remove cleanly, w-p/l helps

37785180726_a4497dd697_b.jpg

I tried scrubbing it after half an hour and nothing except that some of the crinkles disappeared! :slowclap:

More stuff applied and I think I’ll leave it overnight :fingerscrossed:

Trevor

EDIT - just had a look and the paint is now bubbling........

Hi Trevor. Not sure if you will find this useful                                                                                             http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/20159-very-cheap-acrylic-paint-remover-from-tescos/&page=3&tab=comments#comment-2810968

• Thanks 1

Interesting - I've used FPS recently, I only had to leave it on a few minutes before scrubbing off with an old toothbrush, kitchen roll, and lots of water.  This was removing Mr Hobby and Tamiya acrylics.

Thanks for the tips guys, much appreciated. I’ll scrub the Defiant later and see what’s what.

Rummaging on the shelf of doom I also have a semi complete Airfix Hurricane IIc (unpainted!) which I could use as an alternative.

Trevor