Kinetic 1/48 T-Harrier...any good?

yeehah1

1 hour ago, Selwyn said:

If you are doing  4 sqn XW272  the standard Warload in germany for all in the harriers in early 1980's was BL755.  We never actually flew live  BL 755, I think there was a peacetime restriction on doing so, the BL755 we had on deployment were all  Oxford blue drill rounds and just used for load training, they were never flown. 

Selwyn

They were loaded and flown by HS to operational aircraft baled to HS at Farnborough :-

XV807 233OCU 1974

lqzGzGW.jpg

and dayglo units flown by XV789 of 4 Squadron demonstrating the Ski-jump :-

hVJYqyF.jpg

U Tube screen grab :-

QoSLBkK.jpg

NG899 - Nick - save these - saves an email !!

Interesting to note - no guns - strakes only

Dennis

Edited by sloegin57

On 27/11/2017 at 01:55, sloegin57 said:

They were loaded and flown by HS to operational aircraft baled to HS at Farnborough :-

XV807 233OCU 1974

and dayglo units flown by XV789 of 4 Squadron demonstrating the Ski-jump :-

U Tube screen grab :-

NG899 - Nick - save these - saves an email !!

Interesting to note - no guns - strakes only

Dennis

Not suprised ....about 20 mins in the air with that lot on lol

9 hours ago, Selwyn said:

If you are doing  4 sqn XW272  the standard Warload in germany for all in the harriers in early 1980's was BL755.  We never actually flew live  BL 755, I think there was a peacetime restriction on doing so, the BL755 we had on deployment were all  Oxford blue drill rounds and just used for load training, they were never flown. 

Selwyn

There are one or two shots on the Gutersloh spotters site showing blue BL755s being flown

13 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

There are one or two shots on the Gutersloh spotters site showing blue BL755s being flown

Is that dark blue or light blue? dark blue (Drill) were not for flight. Light blue (Practice) could be flown but I never in all my time on first generation harriers ever saw one! Interesting trials shots of the dayglo BL755 being flown( obviously some sort of flight trial) and the (green with yellow band ) operational round drop, (probably for a firepower demonstration) especially as in both cases they do not have gunpods fitted. In my time you never flew a Centreline pylon with just strakes, always gunpods fitted.

Selwyn

Edited by Selwyn
  • Like 1

On 27/11/2017 at 08:05, sloegin57 said:

Another combination 

Dennis

Hmm maybe aden guns not fitted or empty ammo tanks.But seriously weight was a problem trust me the amount role changes we used to do.That said we had the air to air to consider and clearly operating of an CVS was clearly a different set of rules to clagging stores on to lob over the border

Got a few other pics of the Orange ones, I think they were at Farnborough 

Looks like it’s Saxe Blue on the BL755, XV783

http://sg-etuo.de/Squadrons/No3SquadronGR3?p=2

XZ965

http://sg-etuo.de/Squadrons/No3SquadronGR3?p=4

XZ991

http://sg-etuo.de/Squadrons/No3SquadronGR3?p=5

The concept of practise BL755s is a curious one !

1 hour ago, Dave Fleming said:

Got a few other pics of the Orange ones, I think they were at Farnborough 

Looks like it’s Saxe Blue on the BL755, XV783

http://sg-etuo.de/Squadrons/No3SquadronGR3?p=2

XZ965

http://sg-etuo.de/Squadrons/No3SquadronGR3?p=4

XZ991

http://sg-etuo.de/Squadrons/No3SquadronGR3?p=5

The concept of practise BL755s is a curious one !

Why is the concept of a practice BL755 a curious one?  Most air dropped weapons have practice versions,  it would probably have the normal  cartridge ejection system and  inert bomblets. The reason you did not see many practice BL755 was because they were probably quite expensive as they had a  sophisticated cartridge bomblet ejection system.

The US had practice  CBU's  such as CBU 57/58 based on the SUU 30 bomb case. Very much simpler in design, they were actually filled with large pebbles that simulated the bomblet pattern on the ground.

Selwyn

18 hours ago, Selwyn said:

Why is the concept of a practice BL755 a curious one?  Most air dropped weapons have practice versions,  it would probably have the normal  cartridge ejection system and  inert bomblets. The reason you did not see many practice BL755 was because they were probably quite expensive as they had a  sophisticated cartridge bomblet ejection system.

That's what's curious - are they inert units for practising load/load changes/handling, are they droppable and if so, are they just single units or do they actuall 9as you suggest) replicate the real weapons. And are they reusable?

7 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

That's what's curious - are they inert units for practising load/load changes/handling, are they droppable and if so, are they just single units or do they actuall 9as you suggest) replicate the real weapons. And are they reusable?

Practice weapons are designed for aircrew practice i.e. dropping.  In the RAF Drill weapons are for ground training  ie load training for groundcrews etc

The US use Practice weapons for both tasks, they don't have dedicated "Drill" weapons.

Hope this clarifies?

Selwyn

Edited by Selwyn
  • Like 1

A couple of posts on here refer to the Wingman Stencel seats for the AV-8A (which I'd like to do) however they're marketed as Stencel IIIAJ's. Are these really close enough for the Stencel IIIS's required? I see Pavla also do some actually marketed as SJU4's (S1I1S) but they look very softly moulded? Any thoughts please? TIA

Hi,

The Wingman seats were referred to as a close example.

The Pavla seats  are marketed as SIIIS SJU-4 seats, which are the variant fitted to the Harrier II AV8B and has the wrong headbox shape for the seats fitted to AV8As and TAV8As which were Stencel IIIS SEU-3As. Yes, it's very confusing! Especially when you look at sites like the ejection seat site where the SIIIS information refers to AV8Bs and the SJU-4 variant they used.

For a TAV8A/S both front and rear seats need to be fitted with canopy breakers, those on the rear seat being smaller than those on the front. As yet no one makes those seats but I'm sure someone will soon do so.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Nick

Evening Nick,

Thanks for the explanation regarding the Stencel seats. It's much appreciated. Would you happen to have a link (or indeed a photo) of the SEU-3A seat please so that I may at least see if I can modify any of the available ones until the proper one's come out from anyone. As the canopies will be open I shall only tack them in for now and replace when available.

Again, many thanks for your help. 

From what I can see the Wingman option is the closest of the SIIIS seats I can find on the market. Sadly the breakers are cropped from some of those images. Dave, I think you may have another which shows both?

Cheers

Nick

• 4 months later...

Here's another thumbs up for a good synopsis of this kit, thanks.  The kit appears to have been available for a while now, so anyone know where do we go to get the cheapest deal on one?

cheers

Mike