Kinetic 1/48 T-Harrier...any good?

yeehah1

20 10 2017

Hi Guys. I haven't posted here for a while but I just saw an on-line model shop advertising the Kinetic 1/48 T-Harrier (as they call it). You can apparently make the T2/T2A/T2N/T4/T4N/T8 .

My question is ... is it any good??

Thanks in advance

Liam

2 hours ago, yeehah1 said:

20 10 2017

Hi Guys. I haven't posted here for a while but I just saw an on-line model shop advertising the Kinetic 1/48 T-Harrier (as they call it). You can apparently make the T2/T2A/T2N/T4/T4N/T8 .

My question is ... is it any good??

Thanks in advance

Liam

The kit was only released in the last few days, it won't be too long until we start seeing the first reviews. I believe the Kinetic Sea Harriers were well-received so you won't be taking too much of a risk on a duff kit if you decide to take a flyer on this new one.

I was lucky enough to receive an advance copy for review and will appear in SAM in due course.

There are some changes to the assembly of the wing and intake sections that were the Achilles heel of both the FA2 and FRS1.

Still needs a little care and attention to detail in test fitting the parts with some sanding needed in places.

Super decal sheet as well,covering nearly a dozen airframes.

Hope this is of help

Rick G

sDX0pX.jpg

• Like 4

Hi everyone, 

Please see this thread too:

I have just updated this post having seen a lovely T8 spoilt by dropped ailerons (I was alerted to a FB posyt by Alan Kelley of Coastal Kits Display Bases).

If a first generation Harrier had dropped ailerons on both sides, it was u/s !

Despite a lot of input from two IPMS(UK) Harrier SIG members (Chocks Away and me) with the two-seater kit on the airframe side (NOT the ordnance CADs) there are some known issues with the kit we are "disappointed/frustrated" with but which, presumably, are brought about by the economics of kit production...

The BIG POSITIVE! - For the first time ever you have a 1/48th scale first generation Harrier two-seater kit which will enable you to make all marks of the aircraft - the T2, T2A (more powerful engine), T4 (more powerful engine again), T4A - pointed nose, RWR fin, original tail-sting, T4N (Navalised T4 for SHAR FRS1 training) and T8 (uprated for FA2 training with Doppler panel bulge ahead of front u/c bay) - with two nose options (original/LRMTS), 3 fin options (original/tall/RWR fitted), 2 tail-sting options (original/RWR) and a separate Doppler panel for the T8. Overall, the fuselage, cockpits, canopies, noses, fins and tail-stings are accurate. The kit instructions do provide guidance on the nose/fin/tail-sting combination needed for each marking provided. Both canopies have laser-cut MDCs in them - beautifully rendered.

The BIG thing to remember with first generation two-seater Harriers is that the mark reference T2-4 does NOT indicate what nose/fin/tail-sting combination was fitted; but refers to the mark of Pegasus engine fitted. That's why you see T2s and T4s with original and tall fins, original or laser noses and original or RWR fitted tail stings. Yes, it's a minefield! BUT... DON'T PANIC! The Harrier SIG has this covered and will be publishing guidance at Scale ModelWorld.

Yes, you will also be able to make G-VTOL from the kit, with a few scratch-built additions; the VAAC Harrier two, with even more scratch-built items, e.g. the under fuselage pods. As mentioned above, you can also make TAV-8A and TAV-8S from the kit, with replacement seats. Sadly, no Indian Navy T60 markings included but, if you have a Kinetic FRS1 kit you could raid that for markings.

The Not So Goods - from Selwyn's comments on the sprues...

Inboard pylons -  Yes, they have the kinked leading edge of the type used exclusively by the Royal Navy single seat Sea Harrier and are not representative of the two-seater or GR1/3 / AV-8A/S pylons.

To fix > A bit of judicious cutting and sanding.

Rocket pods -  These were wrong in the SHAR FRS1 kit and are on the same sprue form that kit as the FRS1 type wings needed for the two-seater, so Kinetic have added an existing sprue to the box, rather than use a new sprue. In the FRS1 they were meant to be the RN 2-inch pods (NOT Matra 155s) but someone clearly mis-interpreted things.

No easy fix!

The wing outriggers appear to be moulded with groundlocks fitted which is OK for a parked aircraft but not good for a taxying jet diorama.

They may also have the SHAR tie-down rings on.

Seat straps - at least we got the long versions which can be cut down; rather than the other way around!

IFR probe - Despite saying the longer two-seater version was needed, only a single seat probe has been provided.

To fix > add a short extension from rod.

Agreed on all other ordnance comments - We suggested what should be included, e.g. 330 gallon tanks, CBLS units, providing RTS information for the two-seaters to Kinetic but what we got was SHAR stuff, the majority of which cannot be fitted as it was not carried. So, we'll need to go aftermarket for those. (Come on you after-market guys, get in the mix, there's money to be made from Harriers! Stores, corrected IFR probe, VAAC and G-VTOL modifications, so do something different please than your usual PE for cockpits or resin MB.Mk9 seats. Thanks!)

And, finally... Please, please do not drop BOTH ailerons on the two-seater or any other first generation Harrier, i.e. GR1, GR3, AV-8A, AV-8S, single seaters. The ability to drop both ailerons was a Harrier II development ONLY, i.e. AV-8B series, GR5/7/9 and the two seaters - TAV-8B, T10/12.

As mentioned briefly above, after a lot of work by Chocks Away (with a little help from me) at SMW in November, the Harrier SIG will have some information sheets available to help people with their two-seater builds. To save on mass printing, these will be laminated draft copies not to be taken away. Once finalised, we'll upload the pdfs to the Harrier SIG site (from where they can be downloaded with a link to their location their on BM) after the show when we have had a chance to look at the sprues "in the plastic", so to speak. Patience please! I ask you here NOT to pester us for information before we are 100% happy to release it, thank you. Good things come to those who wait... Like this kit.

For which, I must say a very big THANK YOU! to Raymond and all his team at Kinetic, especially Laurent Stern, for doing what no British or other kit manufacturer has yet done, despite many requests... Kinetic have given us (i.e. you!) not only the best SHAR kits yet produced but have now given us (i.e. you, again!) a first ever styrene kit in 1/48th scale of a two-seater first generation Harrier. Yes, with the above items all fixed, it could have been 100%.

But, we have an accurate airframe to work with and, we are all model makers, aren't we? So what's to stop all/any of us from being able to make some fantastic Harrier two-seater models from the kit. I look forward to seeing many on BM in the future... and at SMW too.

Talking of the future, I believe that Kinetic still intend to release models of all the UK Harrier family in 1/48th scale, which means the GR1/3 and GR5-9 plus the T10/12 will follow; which equals lots of Harriers to look forward to! If you want second generation AV-8Bs and TAV-8Bs too, then I suggest you contact Kinetic via Facebook and let them know there's a demand out there.

Best wishes, happy (vertical) landings!

Nick

Edited by NG899
  • Like 7

Good evening everyone,

Despite having put a lot of effort into getting the FA2, FRS1 and T8 kits as right as we can, neither Graham (Chocks Away) nor I have yet built an FRS1.

(I know, we need to do 100 lines of: “If Raymond makes them, we must build them!”)

Graham just sent me a photo which shows that on the two-seater (as well as on the FRS1 kit having checked) the underside of the leading edge dog tooth is incorrect - the underside should replicate the upper surface and will need building up with scrap card and filler and sanding to shape. 

Another simple fix!

Another addition to the list of fixes for the GR1/3...

Cheers

Nick

Hi, all.

Two very minor observations/questions on the model.  

I seem to recall the main undercarriage bay roof should have 2 indentations for the wheels?  Kinetic show the location, but do not indent them.

My photos of inside a T4 nose undercarriage bay seem to show that the roof is all pretty much at one level - I seem to remember a panel at the rear top to get into the air conditioning pack.  Kinetic show the back of the bay continuing up into the void behind the rear seat.

BTW, these are not complaints - but my AMS is telling me to get this build right...

Also, does anyone have recommendations for Dark Sea Gray these days?  I find Gunze H-75 a bit less blue than I remember and really don't like spraying Xtracrylix on anything other than single colour schemes. Any views on Mig or Hataka?

Regards

Tim

4 hours ago, TimB said:

Hi, all.

Two very minor observations/questions on the model.  

I seem to recall the main undercarriage bay roof should have 2 indentations for the wheels?  Kinetic show the location, but do not indent them.

My photos of inside a T4 nose undercarriage bay seem to show that the roof is all pretty much at one level - I seem to remember a panel at the rear top to get into the air conditioning pack.  Kinetic show the back of the bay continuing up into the void behind the rear seat.

BTW, these are not complaints - but my AMS is telling me to get this build right...

Also, does anyone have recommendations for Dark Sea Gray these days?  I find Gunze H-75 a bit less blue than I remember and really don't like spraying Xtracrylix on anything other than single colour schemes. Any views on Mig or Hataka?

Regards

Tim

For some reason there seems to be a lot of questions around the main undercarriage bays on GR3 and T2/4 around lately.  Main undercarriage doors were closed 99% of the time, the doors only opened on take off  for wheels up and obviously closed again immediately .  On the ground, they were normally closed (the doors were only opened for a few servicing tasks and then usually closed again), meaning the open main undercarriage bay was seldom seen,  so I really wouldn't be that bothered about wheel indentations as nobody would ever see them anyway.

Selwyn

8 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

really wouldn't be that bothered about wheel indentations as nobody would ever see them anyway.

Selwyn, you are of course right.  But my OCD will know it's there (or not)!  Also, by chance, my 2 photos of stationary T-birds (4 Sqn S at Deci with ferry tanks and the VAAC at Yvl) have the main u/c doors open!  I agree that is unusual - I think the reason I have some photos of inside the nose bay and none inside the main bay is that they were normally closed.

Regards

Tim

5 hours ago, TimB said:

Hi, all.

I seem to remember a panel at the rear top to get into the air conditioning pack.  Kinetic show the back of the bay continuing up into the void behind the rear seat.

Tim

If you recall TimB, the Air Con pack access through the nose wheel bay was on the single seat aircraft (PIB).  The Unit was mounted at the rear of the cockpit "hump" on the T-Birds and the rear fairing had to be removed for engine servicing on pre, post and T/R flight servicings.

As regards main u/c doors.  During my time, these were normally left open during flight line operations and only closed after the crew had arrived and the main u/c ground lock removed during the walk round.  Otherwise, as Selwyn had said, they remained closed.   Similarly the nose lock was also removed and the small red painted panel in front of the nose doors closed after the hydraulic valve had been pushed home.  Outrigger locks were only removed after engine start, shown to the crew and stowed in the box at the side of the pan.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that the T-Birds, particularly on 233 OCU, were often flown as single seaters especially during the weapons phase.  For this, a bright green "Apron" was fitted over the harness of the rear seat by the armourers to prevent said harness lashing about in flight.  You may have read that when flown single seat, the dayglo weights on the tip of the tail had to be removed.  This was only  if the rear seat had been removed.  They never were and so the "Apron" was fitted.

Dennis

The indents in the main bay are there, BUT, as flat outlines rather than concave depressions. A simple fix = Cement a piece of 40thou styrene above the bay and use a curved rasp to create the concave depressions, about 10 mins work once the 40 thou has dried.

Another watch-out depending on the T4 airframe you're making is which airbrake to fit, the original long one - like on the GR1/3, or the short one - as on the SHARs.  Check reference pictures carefully!!!

Hope that helps

Cheers

Nick 

• Like 1

G'day all,

Great info on a kit I have on order. I have a few questions regarding the T-Harrier boxing, hpoefully someone with a kit can answer these questions.

In the FRS.1 boxing, the underwing insert panels have a noticeable step where the forward curved edge meets the wingtips, just outboard of the outrigger wheel fairings. I have had a look at my FA.2 boxing and a similar breakdown exists but this is not an issue as the wingtips in the FA.2 kit seem to have a thicker cross section and so meet at the same level, i.e no step. Looking at the wingtip parts on the sprue shots supplied so far, it looks like the same wing design as the FRS.1 is used ion the T-Harrier kit, i.e. the double dog tooth leading edge. Is the wingtip 'step' of the FRS.1 kit present?

Also, in both the FRS.1 and FA.2 releases, the two aileron hinges/fairings do not marrry up to the ailerons when they are in the neutral position as the ailerons are thinner than the training edge of the wing, resulting in a noticeable step down to the aileron surface, has this been corrected?

Finally (my biggest gripe), does this boxing include 'retracted' outrigger wheels?

I really want to do an in-flight Harrier but the biggest stumbling block for me seems to be that all the kit releases so far do not include the option of retracted outrigger wheels. This seems strange as the kit supplies two options for engine inlet blow-in doors, partially open (engine not running) and all flush (engine running and forward speed), but the undercarriage options only permit a hovering in-flight depiction without modification (assuming that you are not bothered by compressed u/c oleos!) yet all the box art so far depicts the kit subject in flight. It is not a simple fix as the kit supplied outriggers will need extensive modification and these are handed so twice the work is involved. The fairings they retract into are not a simple flat opening and the supplied kit outriggers are not wide enough to meet the width of the outrigger fairings.

If you want to depicts a hovering jet, you will need to modify the blow-in engine doors so that all the doors are open, and if you wnat to be really accurate, the undercarriage units will need to have extended oleos and uncompressed scissor links,

cheers,

Pappy

Hi Pappy,

Bearing in mind that I have yet to build a Kinetic SHAR or two-seater, the best answers I can give are as follows. I do know Chocks Away is in the midst of a rapid TAV-8S build from the kit so, after SMW he may have some more ideas. 

Wing-tip fit - I know some work has been done to make the fit of the FRS.1 style wing easier to the "T-Harrier" fuselage than is the case with the FRS.1 kit. Doing a dry fit of the wing-tip, there is still an issue, caused in part by a raised triangle inside the wing-tip leading edge; 30 seconds with a sanding stick cures this. On the lower wing part there is also a curved edge from the front of the outrigger fairing to the wing leading edge which overlaps the straight (correct!) line of the section moulded under the main wing section. 30 seconds with a scalpel removes the curved bit on the lower wing part. Job done!

Note: There is a known error with the underside of the FRS.1 wing which slipped through the net with the T-Harrier, namely the shape of the dog-tooth on the underside of the wing, which has a step in it. The dog tooth on the upper surface is correct in shape and location, so should be replicated with scrap styrene and filler on the underside. Another 2x 60 seconds fix, excluding drying time for the filler! This is NOT an issue on the FA2 kit where the dog-tooth was faired-in.

Ailerons - Aaaaaarrrgh! NO 1st generation Harrier had the ability to drop both ailerons at the same time to enhance low speed lift; that only applies to 2nd generation Harriers - the AV-8B and RAF GR5-9/T10-12. So, no serviceable Sea Harrier or T2/4/8 should ever be seen with both ailerons dropped, got it! The aileron hinge mechanisms are on sprue E, part E1 for the incorrect dropped ailerons and E4 for the neutral ailerons. As far as I can see no changes have been made. A bit of thin styrene card should resolve this issue; another quick fix.

Retracted outriggers - No. In a word, none are included. I know from a SIG member who is making an inflight SHAR that the kit outrigger fairings and 'boots' are too narrow to use them matched to the kit's openings retracted outriggers. A quick fix is to use one layer of 5 thou styrene sheet over the outrigger fairing and two layers of it over the 'boots'; something I've had to do with the odd Airfix SHAR before now. 

Your comments about depicting a hovering jet apply to all Harrier kits I can think of. Having just finished a 1/48th scale Hasegawa/Revell GR.9A in "just after take-off from Ark" mode, I sympathise with them; and for that I had to drop the two-part flaps (and ailerons!) too. I hope what I have said above helps.

So, what can be done? It is unlikely that manufacturers will start to add them in and provide pilots. The after-market people may be interested but will want someone to produce masters... Take one step forward volunteers! (Where has everyone gone?) Now, I do know that Kinetic work closely with Wingman models, to whom I have directed people for Stencil seats for TAV-8As and 8Ss and with whom I worked on the GR9/T12 book.

I suggest that a shortlist is compiled of the resin parts people would like to see to enhance the Kinetic family of Harrier kits, with a list of people willing to make the masters, which will need to be high quality. The lists can then be put forward to Wingman who can decide whether to take things forward to not. It's an idea I'm kicking off with Harrier SIG members after SMW, if my initial discussions there with Wingman prove positive. 

So, folks, it's over to you.....

(Where has everyone gone?)

Cheers

Nick

Edited by NG899

15 hours ago, NG899 said:

Hi Pappy,

Bearing in mind that I have yet to build a Kinetic SHAR or two-seater, the best answers I can give are as follows. I do know Chocks Away is in the midst of a rapid TAV-8S build from the kit so, after SMW he may have some more ideas. 

Wing-tip fit - I know some work has been done to make the fit of the FRS.1 style wing easier to the "T-Harrier" fuselage than is the case with the FRS.1 kit. Doing a dry fit of the wing-tip, there is still an issue, caused in part by a raised triangle inside the wing-tip leading edge; 30 seconds with a sanding stick cures this. On the lower wing part there is also a curved edge from the front of the outrigger fairing to the wing leading edge which overlaps the straight (correct!) line of the section moulded under the main wing section. 30 seconds with a scalpel removes the curved bit on the lower wing part. Job done!

Note: There is a known error with the underside of the FRS.1 wing which slipped through the net with the T-Harrier, namely the shape of the dog-tooth on the underside of the wing, which has a step in it. The dog tooth on the upper surface is correct in shape and location, so should be replicated with scrap styrene and filler on the underside. Another 2x 60 seconds fix, excluding drying time for the filler! This is NOT an issue on the FA2 kit where the dog-tooth was faired-in.

Ailerons - Aaaaaarrrgh! NO 1st generation Harrier had the ability to drop both ailerons at the same time to enhance low speed lift; that only applies to 2nd generation Harriers - the AV-8B and RAF GR5-9/T10-12. So, no serviceable Sea Harrier or T2/4/8 should ever be seen with both ailerons dropped, got it! The aileron hinge mechanisms are on sprue E, part E1 for the incorrect dropped ailerons and E4 for the neutral ailerons. As far as I can see no changes have been made. A bit of thin styrene card should resolve this issue; another quick fix.

Retracted outriggers - No. In a word, none are included. I know from a SIG member who is making an inflight SHAR that the kit outrigger fairings and 'boots' are too narrow to use them matched to the kit's openings retracted outriggers. A quick fix is to use one layer of 5 thou styrene sheet over the outrigger fairing and two layers of it over the 'boots'; something I've had to do with the odd Airfix SHAR before now. 

Your comments about depicting a hovering jet apply to all Harrier kits I can think of. Having just finished a 1/48th scale Hasegawa/Revell GR.9A in "just after take-off from Ark" mode, I sympathise with them; and for that I had to drop the two-part flaps (and ailerons!) too. I hope what I have said above helps.

So, what can be done? It is unlikely that manufacturers will start to add them in and provide pilots. The after-market people may be interested but will want someone to produce masters... Take one step forward volunteers! (Where has everyone gone?) Now, I do know that Kinetic work closely with Wingman models, to whom I have directed people for Stencil seats for TAV-8As and 8Ss and with whom I worked on the GR9/T12 book.

I suggest that a shortlist is compiled of the resin parts people would like to see to enhance the Kinetic family of Harrier kits, with a list of people willing to make the masters, which will need to be high quality. The lists can then be put forward to Wingman who can decide whether to take things forward to not. It's an idea I'm kicking off with Harrier SIG members after SMW, if my initial discussions there with Wingman prove positive. 

So, folks, it's over to you.....

(Where has everyone gone?)

Cheers

Nick

Cheers Nick, thanks for that useful summary.

So no sooner had I asked the questions above than this arrived!

DSCN4820_zpsgi5shqmf.jpg

I went straight to the wing section provided on sprue "I" which has apparently been re-worked for better wing to fuselage fit.  I didn't think the fit was that bad on the FRS.1 kit , but it did need some trial fitting and some sanding to get the one piece upper section to settle into the fuselage aperture neatly to minimise  any remedial seam work, so it will be interesting to see what effect the changes have on fit.

As Nick mentioned, there is a small raised triangular section on the inside of the underwing inserts

DSCN4824_zpspeho6j7x.jpg

A few quick passes with a sanding stick should allow for a better fit.

This is a dry fit without the offending raised area removed

DSCN4821_zpswdzwsyjh.jpg

"On the lower wing part there is also a curved edge from the front of the outrigger fairing to the wing leading edge which overlaps the straight (correct!) line of the section moulded under the main wing section. 30 seconds with a scalpel removes the curved bit on the lower wing part. Job done!"

I'm afraid you lost me here with this bit Nick. Any chance you could explain it a bit more slowly for a thickhead like me?

And I assume that this is the bit of the underside 'dogtooth' that needs building up

DSCN4822_zpsgw7sz1ko.jpg

The correction should be pretty straightforward.

One other thing I noticed, the rocket pod nose cones have all the rockets sticking out of the openings.

DSCN4823_zps8xygto1v.jpg

This looks very attractive at an airshow but in reality they should be inside the pod with no bits sticking out. I think there may also be frangible covers over each opening as well, doubtless Selwyn will swing by and enlighten us all.

If there is going to be a consolidated list of after market  for the Kinetic family of Harriers, my list would include:

• Retracted outrigger wheels!
  • Tyres that actually have tread on them (the kit nose and main tyres don't)
  • A correction for the aft reaction control outlet on the underside of the tail boom (the kit item has the circular grilles and rectangular outlet transposed)
  • Aden gun pods that have all the lumpy and holey bits included.
  • Rocket pod cones without rockets sticking out of them
  • Main gear doors that match the size of the main gear bay opening (length), the kits items are a tad short. No so noticeable if you leave the doors open (they are normally closed)

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy

On 08/11/2017 at 18:43, Pappy said:

Cheers Nick, thanks for that useful summary.

So no sooner had I asked the questions above than this arrived!

I went straight to the wing section provided on sprue "I" which has apparently been re-worked for better wing to fuselage fit.  I didn't think the fit was that bad on the FRS.1 kit , but it did need some trial fitting and some sanding to get the one piece upper section to settle into the fuselage aperture neatly to minimise  any remedial seam work, so it will be interesting to see what effect the changes have on fit.

As Nick mentioned, there is a small raised triangular section on the inside of the underwing inserts

A few quick passes with a sanding stick should allow for a better fit.

This is a dry fit without the offending raised area removed

"On the lower wing part there is also a curved edge from the front of the outrigger fairing to the wing leading edge which overlaps the straight (correct!) line of the section moulded under the main wing section. 30 seconds with a scalpel removes the curved bit on the lower wing part. Job done!"

I'm afraid you lost me here with this bit Nick. Any chance you could explain it a bit more slowly for a thickhead like me?

And I assume that this is the bit of the underside 'dogtooth' that needs building up

The correction should be pretty straightforward.

One other thing I noticed, the rocket pod nose cones have all the rockets sticking out of the openings.

This looks very attractive at an airshow but in reality they should be inside the pod with no bits sticking out. I think there may also be frangible covers over each opening as well, doubtless Selwyn will swing by and enlighten us all.

If there is going to be a consolidated list of after market  for the Kinetic family of Harriers, my list would include:

• Retracted outrigger wheels!
  • Tyres that actually have tread on them (the kit nose and main tyres don't)
  • A correction for the aft reaction control outlet on the underside of the tail boom (the kit item has the circular grilles and rectangular outlet transposed)
  • Aden gun pods that have all the lumpy and holey bits included.
  • Rocket pod cones without rockets sticking out of them
  • Main gear doors that match the size of the main gear bay opening (length), the kits items are a tad short. No so noticeable if you leave the doors open (they are normally closed)

cheers,

Pappy

Pappy,

As you say the noses are horrendously wrong. Just confine these rocket pods to the bin. For a RAF rocket  pod source an aftermarket set of 18 shot SNEB 155 pods, the 36 shot 2" pods were RN only and  I have never personally seen an RN T bird with these pods, I think they were out of service before  the navy started operating two seaters.

A nice set of the correct RAF inboard pylons would be nice too!

Selwyn

@Selwyn I worked on FRS-1 and T-4N's from 1985 and we  never used rocket pods, didn't even train how to load them on aircraft. We only ever used CBLS with 3kg or 28lb practice bombs, oh! plus Aden cannon and 100ig tanks.

Just now, Shar2 said:

@Selwyn I worked on FRS-1 and T-4N's from 1985 and we  never used rocket pods, didn't even train how to load them on aircraft. We only ever used CBLS with 3kg or 28lb practice bombs, oh! plus Aden cannon and 100ig tanks.

Just as I thought. You sure they were 28lb Practice bombs? I thought they had been replaced by the 14kg by then?

Selwyn

Oh, they were definitely 28lb. Blooming awkward things to load, especially on the wing pylons where you couldn't lie down, stand up or even crouch properly.

Good morning all,

Pappy - glad the fixes for the wing tip worked out; yes you've spotted the dog-tooth problem, another easy fix. Thanks for the list, a few thoughts for fixes if aftermarket items do not happen...

• Retracted outrigger wheels! >>> Already covered above.
  • Tyres that actually have tread on them (the kit nose and main tyres don't) >>> Noted, the treads are on the CADs but are probably too feint. Note, in operational use tyres did not last that long so having little tread is not too big an issue.
  • A correction for the aft reaction control outlet on the underside of the tail boom (the kit item has the circular grilles and rectangular outlet transposed) > Oops! Part E25 can be fitted back to front so that things are the correct way around, the opening masked then filler and sanding sticks used to correct the shape. Will correct for the GR1/3.
  • Aden gun pods that have all the lumpy and holey bits included. >>> Noted, the lumpy and holy bits are all on the CADs. The holes are an easy fix with a drill bit, noting that the forward four cooling holes on both pods are the same, with the holes on the starboard side being ahead of those on the port side; those holes are not handed differently for starboard and port pods. (I hope that makes sense!) The parallel lower blisters could be made from thin strip and filler, not easy, even in 1/24th scale, having done it!
  • Rocket pod cones without rockets sticking out of them. >>> Noted. God knows how that slipped through!  Someone got confused with some of the Russian pods maybe... See below.
  • Main gear doors that match the size of the main gear bay opening (length), the kits items are a tad short. No so noticeable if you leave the doors open (they are normally closed) >>> I think resin for these is a waste of money, your's potentially! An easy fix is to fit 10 thou strips at each end and sand to shape; granted an extra strip maybe needed inside the door to keep the one on the narrow edges square.

All - I can only apologise (as a modeller not as a representative of Kinetic) for the rocket pods in the SHAR kits, which are supposed to be RN 2-inch ones  (three tiers of rockets) and Matra 155s (two tiers) . I cannot guarantee Kinetic will fix them when they release the GR1/3 - the 2-inch ones will be needed for Op Corporate GR3s on Hermes - I can try and persuade them. I had suggested CBLS 100s for the two-seater but, as we know, they did not materialise.  Maybe with the GR1/3? Where I'd also like to see Phimat and 330s...

Cheers

Nick

Edited by NG899

23 minutes ago, Shar2 said:

Oh, they were definitely 28lb. Blooming awkward things to load, especially on the wing pylons where you couldn't lie down, stand up or even crouch properly.

I know! Been there done that! getting the peg in the hole when you couldn't see either was always fun. And don't forget to turn the transit/dropping screw! 

Selwyn