1/72 Gloster Mars X Nightjar - completed

Patrik

I filled in the panel lines that did not exist on the real airplane, scribed other ones that did, and worked on the undercarriage a bit. I used the photo-etched legs from the kit and scratchbuild the axle. You can see Mk. II on the photo. For the Mk. I - that ended up in thrash - I used plastic pieces glued by Tamiya Extra Thin in order to represent the ribs. I did one side, let it "mature" overnight, and in the morning the axle was nicely bow-shaped, quite probably by some overreaction of the axle plastic to the glue. So I changed to aluminium foil and CA glue for the Mk. II, and the result looks really nice in my opinion, The original photo-etched axle from the kit is in forefront for comparison.

20171226_DSC_0052.jpg

Edited by Patrik
  • Like 2

Most recently I was occupied with construction of the prominent gun shelves. Is it just me, or do more of you hate scratch building parts that come in pairs (triplets, quadruplets, ...), and need to look almost identical? OK, here they were at least mirrored, in this case meaning I managed to start the second shelf assembly exactly the same way as the first = the other way round than needed.

However I am nearing the first round of painting, the fuselage + lower wing are more or less complete. I just need to add a few details on the upper wing central section before I start with the brush.

All the best in 2018 for all of you

Patrik

20171230_DSC_0073.jpg

• Like 4

Patrik, do you have a close-up shot of the underside or can you you tell me the wing shape...concave? The kit being a vacform implies that the wings will be concave but I don't see this in any of your images, this also applies to the tail section.

Happy 2018.

Stuart

Tried to make a photo of the upper wing profile for you. Concave it is, but in fact much less apparent than the photo may indicate. The lower wing is of the same profile and the tail is flat, so the tail underside profile depends on your sanding skills.

The leading edge is on the right.

20171231_DSC_0080.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Not that much to show in past few weeks except slow painting progress. I am almost through the first round, small corrections still needed, but I am ready to upgrade the kit to its biplane form.

By the way you can guess which marking I selected for my Nightjar. Small hint - I hope I survive decorating the wheels without permanent brain damage.

20180121_DSC_0090.jpg

• Like 5

The plan for the wheels had been like white first, then mask the white circle, then blue and the tyre black, and in the end the red circle as a decal (not forgetting the silver dope on the inner side).

Working so far! Just that the oblique conic section is from principle not a circle, but an ellipse - so hopefully not only the matematicians among us understand the problem of masking a circle over a cone in an oblique position.

The wheels of H8537 have been shown as red-white in older references. Also the kit instructions and decals have it in the same way. Whereas the Datafile No.160 does not in my opinion bring a 100% proof H8537 wheels were not red-white only, it on the other hand shows without doubt that other airplanes of No. 203 Squadron from the same period had the wheels in blue-white-red combination. So it is most probably safe to assume H8537 was no exception.

20180128_DSC_0102.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Skiing vacation combined with business travelling reduced my modelling to the "watching the work of the others over the internet" kind in past three weeks. And the task I was facing did not help either. But now, when all 8 interplane struts have been measured, carved, tested, shortened, tested again, ..., masked and painted, I am on the best way to be able to present you the Nightjar in its biplane form next week.

20180218_DSC_0103.jpg

• Like 2

Biplane at last. The only real mistake I made was not cutting the pipe under the central section before the upper wing was on. It was quite a pain to get both the shape and the size right in the small gap afterwards.

Just a few more details and I can go on painting the wings.

20180224_DSC_0105.jpg

• Like 5