An Oriental Fantasy

This little flight of fancy is called, "The Legend of the Golden Statue of Guzzi", and depicts the mythical Hero Daimyo Yamaha with his fearless companions, Lords Honda, Kawasaki and Suzuki -- not forgetting the Lady Kittan, who've ventured across the stormy Sea of Neepon to rescue the stolen GSofG from the evil clutches of The Blue Witch of Baidou Mountain and her sidekicks, the nefarious Wizard of the Opera, Wun-Wun and his Sorceress Sister, Tu-Tu. 

Also featured are The Witch's two familiars, Yin and Yon, who take the form of two Giant Hamsters -- and an Earth Demon summoned by the Siren Song of Tu-Tu, (think Sarah Brightman on an off-day). The Blue Witch of Baidou Mountain has just awoken her secret weapon, "The Giant Green Chinese Dragon Who Lives in a Bowl of Beef Chow Mien"; and I'm not too sure how the two enormous Vampire Bats fit into the story, but they were too good to leave out.

Oh, and the character wearing Batman's Cape and lurking at the back of the Pagoda Shrine is apparently called....Hairy An-aah-san. The virtuous Lady Kittan describes him as such....

"He isn’t even a Latin. He’s, like, totally some kind of hirsute aboriginal barbarian from the mountainous northern region of an invariably mist-shrouded and semi-mythical island out in the Western Sea which is, like, beyond the knowledge of civilized cartographers. The Jesuit priests say the women of this utterly miserable place are renowned for their haunting beauty, but, totally have bad teeth. It’s also whispered that even ladies of the noble classes are, like, quite outrageously profane – and, and……they’re habitually unchaste as well --- probably.”

....But that's likely just Kyoto Valley Girl hyperbole....:o

The Samurai figures and Lady Kittan are from Pegaso, Romeo Models and First Legion. The three Necromancers and the Pagoda Shrine are by K&C. The "Hirsute Scottish Barbarian" is from Draconia Miniatures and I think the Vampire Bats are by Games Workshop. I've no idea where I got the Giant Chinese Dragon, the Earth Demon, the Golden Statue of Guzzi, or the two Giant Hamsters, but they could've been born to star in this particular show. The rest is just the usual static grass, plus bits & pieces I had lying around.

Cheers....B)

H

29-Aug-2016_b-L.jpg

29-Aug-2016_a-L.jpg

29-Aug-2016_d-L.jpg

29-Aug-2016_c-L.jpg

29-Aug-2016_e-L.jpg

29-Aug-2016_f-L.jpg

Edited by Cadman
spellin'
  • Like 13

Thanks Guys. It was fun.

It's just as well I didn't post the full story though, as it comprises of a prelude, 2 chapters and 29 A4 pages -- so far.

:whistle:

I wonder if I've enough photo's available to post up a reasonably interesting WIP thread? I'll have a look and see what I can do later today, my time zone.

Cheers

H

• Like 1

Hi Cadman,

Great to see your latest masterpiece. Instantly recognisable and instantly likeable - a real feast for the eye. 

How long did this one take you to make?

And it's interesting to hear that you're writing a story. Which came first? The story or the diorama?

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Badder said:

Hi Cadman,

Great to see your latest masterpiece. Instantly recognisable and instantly likeable - a real feast for the eye. 

How long did this one take you to make?

And it's interesting to hear that you're writing a story. Which came first? The story or the diorama?

Rearguards,

Badder

Hi Badder,

The story was done concurrently with the diorama. It's just a piece of nonsense done to while away the time while paint and glue were drying and reads like a cross between a GM Fraser novel, a Monty Python script and a few pages from The Beano.

PM me an email address and I'll fire it to you as a Word attachment if you like.

Two assignments in India earlier this year have highlighted certain health issues resulting in me having to take a temporary spell of paid leave so's they can be addressed and sorted out, but more importantly, it also caused a complete loss of Mojo for completing some unfinished modelling projects and hence my absence from participating on this forum. But I'm gradually getting motivation back, as per this flight of fancy.

These small dio's don't take that long to put together while doing other things - a month maybe - and in this case the process was simplified because most of the elements used were already finished in any case. For example, the Pagoda and three Chinese figures were sold pre-painted by the manufacturer and had been bought years ago. All I had to do was add a few details and locate them onto the base.

k.%20Dio-L.jpg

n.%20Dio-L.jpg

o.%20Dio-L.jpg

Similarly, I assembled and painted the Pegaso, Romeo Miniatures and Draconia white metal kit figures ages ago and they had just been loafing around in the display cabinet. So they were also ready to be used.

c-L.jpg

b-L.jpg

a-L.jpg

I had done a bunch of Pegaso Female Samurai Warriors for a different diorama, so one of them was drafted in to be the Lady Kittan character.

d.%2054mm_Samurai%20Camp-L.jpg

e-L.jpg

The Chinese Dragon is resin and a nightmare to paint because it acted just like a coiled spring anytime a paintbrush went near it, but I got there in the end. 

f-S.jpg

The Giant Hamsters and the Golden Statue of Guzzi were churned out in a couple of days.

m.%20Dio-L.jpg

l.%20Dio-L.jpg

So it was just a case of dreaming up some outlandish scenario and then slotting everything into a simple base.

i-L.jpg

g-L.jpg

h-L.jpg

On reflection the location of the blue banners is all wrong -- they interfere with getting good photos and need to be moved to the back of the diorama, and the lion statues ought to be at the front of the pagoda shrine. I'll do that when I get around to it.

I also re-located the guy on top of the pagoda before he put his big clumsy feet through the roof.

p.%20Dio-L.jpg

Anyway, I'm glad so many members of the forum have enjoyed this one -- and there's more to come.

Cheers

H

Edited by Cadman
added a photo
  • Like 2

Hi Cadman,

Firstly, I'm sorry, to hear you have health issues. I hope you have the sort than can be.... er.... sorted! If not, join the club! It's good to see you back on BM either way though, obviously! You are one of those members who stand out, what with your instantly recognisable and colourful dioramas.

Whether you painted the figures ages ago, or recently, they took time and effort and can be included in the 'build time' for the diorama. I mean, I have 3 or 4 AFVs sat on a shelf waiting for theirs. Those dioramas won't be started for a few years yet, but the AFVs each still count as the 'subjects of those dioramas' and part of the build!

I forget whether I've asked you before, but have you ever considered making moulds of some of the scenery, like the pagoda, and replicating them for future dioramas

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Badder said:

Hi Cadman,

Firstly, I'm sorry, to hear you have health issues. I hope you have the sort than can be.... er.... sorted! If not, join the club! It's good to see you back on BM either way though, obviously! You are one of those members who stand out, what with your instantly recognisable and colourful dioramas.

Whether you painted the figures ages ago, or recently, they took time and effort and can be included in the 'build time' for the diorama. I mean, I have 3 or 4 AFVs sat on a shelf waiting for theirs. Those dioramas won't be started for a few years yet, but the AFVs each still count as the 'subjects of those dioramas' and part of the build!

I forget whether I've asked you before, but have you ever considered making moulds of some of the scenery, like the pagoda, and replicating them for future dioramas

Rearguards,

Badder

Wish I hadn't mentioned the health thing, but oh well. The latest test results will be available tomorrow afternoon and I expect them to show an improvement over those I took in the UK around five weeks ago. Mind you, appointments at the local hospital tend to be "interesting" seeing as most of the staff don't speak or understand English, and the very few that do still need the wife to translate my muttering and mumbling for them.

I've no idea where I'd find the kind of moulds you mention Badder. Almost everything I use has to be imported including handtools, hobby paints, and so on. Last time we went on a mission to find auto primer in this town they looked at me like I've got two heads. "Primer? What's the stupid foreigner talking about?"

Having said that, I wonder what the Missus was actually saying to them? Hearing her swear in a Scottish accent for the first time can be one of those 10-second of stunned silence moments....

:o

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

Just seen it on a decent sized screen. Fanflippingtastic, there is so much going on, I really like these dios of yours. Magic. :thumbsup:

Steve.

Cheers for that Steve.

I do often think that I tend to make my dioramas and vignettes too "busy", with perhaps just a bit too much going on. I dunno?

Here's a selection of some quick snaps into two of our living room cabinets I took this morning for a mate of mine in Oz that might demonstrate what I'm meaning.

DSC_0014-L.jpg

DSC_0013-L.jpg

DSC_0012-L.jpg

DSC_0011-L.jpg

DSC_0016-L.jpg

DSC_0015-L.jpg

And I really must get around to moving those two blue banners to the back of this one.

DSC_0010-L.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks, I like those. I think dios need to look busy,if things are spaced as in life, they look a lot of effect & lack action & impact to my eye, sort of true life scale effect. Lots of action in a small area tells the story better I reckon.

Steve.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cadman said:

with perhaps just a bit too much going on. I dunno?

Not for me there isn't. 

I agree with Steve, above.

There's a lot to catch the eye and to keep interest levels up.

I just caught up on the pictures above, Female Samurai, lovely.

Then there's a tank hidden in there, The blue Centaur? and a Huey?

Is that native American's in the tree's, with the woman in the foreground?

If you ever need to move it would all be a nightmare to pack!

Please keep the pictures coming, as and when you have time.

Oh, and I too wish you good health.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Is that native American's in the tree's, with the woman in the foreground?

Hi Pete,

Yeah, that little diorama is based on Robert Griffing's painting, "The Taking of Mary Jemison"

Jemison-24-3-S.jpg

It's an interesting story which you'll find on Wikipedia here;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Jemison

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cadman said:

I've no idea where I'd find the kind of moulds you mention Badder

I use liquid latex to make the moulds. I should imagine that's quite easy to find in your part of the world? :idea:

I hope your test results are good.

Rearguards,

Badder