shipbuilding: full hull or waterline ?

s.e.charles

I'm not a 'ship-builder' but l understand that 'full hulls' are the much preferred option when it comes to displaying them. 

However, dioramas are a different story, obviously.

So, unless you're going to build a diorama with a ship in dry dock, or beached on some far off shore, I'd go for waterline for dioramas.

Rearguards,

Badder

Wot he says; waterline handy for dioramas and wargaming, full hull for on stands like museum or builders display models.

But you can build full hull for a diorama; just cut a deep V slot for the ship to sit in and build up the sea around it

That choice is all down to how the modeller wishes to see their model when finished.  Most builders I know tend to make their models as full hull and displayed on a plinth in a display case; much like how they would be seen in a museum.  For me, I find that to be a bit too sterile and would prefer the model to have story behind it; therefore I put mine into diorama settings.   One personal observation, and it is purely my own view, is that full hull models that are displayed like museum pieces should not be weathered.  I find nothing more disconcerting than seeing rust streaks and other weathering on an otherwise pristine model.  To weather a full hull model should require it to be weathered overall, including the barnacles below the waterline and the grimy waterline tide-mark included etc.

Mike

58 minutes ago, bootneck said:

That choice is all down to how the modeller wishes to see their model when finished.  Most builders I know tend to make their models as full hull and displayed on a plinth in a display case; much like how they would be seen in a museum.  For me, I find that to be a bit too sterile and would prefer the model to have story behind it; therefore I put mine into diorama settings.   One personal observation, and it is purely my own view, is that full hull models that are displayed like museum pieces should not be weathered.  I find nothing more disconcerting than seeing rust streaks and other weathering on an otherwise pristine model.  To weather a full hull model should require it to be weathered overall, including the barnacles below the waterline and the grimy waterline tide-mark included etc.

Mike

I agree fully with those sentiments. The only full hull display that should be weathered is in a "dry-dock" setting, often represented simply by wooden blocks. And then the weathering could include remedial cleaning.

Dave