I am the egg man...I am the Walrus... Mk.I HMS Victorious

...goo goo gajoob (hey, that’s how it’s written).

Wow! What an ugly airplane! 😝

And after building it, I still think it’s ugly. But what a lovely kit! So glad Airfix went back to its recent ways, and made a kit that went together swimmingly. In fact, I used absolutely zero filler. And best of all, it’s in the Indian plastic! Soft, but it makes it easy to sand. It holds detail superbly and panel lines are tack sharp. OOB with Xtradecals, of a FAA Walrus embarked on the HMS Victorious in Okinawa, 1945. And yes, I know I totally spaced and forgot to add the RN and serial numbers. Oops! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

EeGYNQL.jpg6GIgZDh.jpgBYEcQE8.jpgLXTsepT.jpgkfGq7ia.jpgtu8y8hh.jpgRYqFWnR.jpgvtZ5ks9.jpgdNB88aP.jpge7Tg5iQ.jpgClmonPW.jpgRfxNCLT.jpg5uExLmu.jpg

• Like 65
  • Thanks 1

You've made a first class job. What a great finish. The weathering looks excellent. Very well done. Joe. 

• Thanks 1

That does look very splendid and I can only hope for it in the 'proper' scale at some time in the future. Neatly built and subtly weathered but may I be so bold as to suggest that the decals are rather too bright for such a worn look? Just my opinion, take it for what it is worth.

• Thanks 1

Superb work you did there Habu.

But you cannot say the Walrus is ugly, I love it very much as I love all these old fashioned aircraft

which have been designed between the two world wars.

You really did a great job.

Congratulations. Polo.

• Thanks 1

Looks fantastic! But one minor thing. The struts on the tail plane, the horizontal bar is not on the real aircraft, this is something added to help alignment by airfix and should be removed during the build process. I think the instructions do mention this but perhaps they are easy to miss! 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Habu12 said:

Well, I imagine since Airfix has been pantographing kits up and down, I wouldn’t be surprised to see this in 1/72.

I certainly hope so.  Their old 1/72 kit is a bit past its sell by date.  While they're about it they could scale down their Sea Vixen, Javelin and forthcoming Sea Fury too.  Anyway, congrats on creating a real beauty (eye of the beholder, obviously) and a great paint finish. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, snowen250 said:

Looks fantastic! But one minor thing. The struts on the tail plane, the horizontal bar is not on the real aircraft, this is something added to help alignment by airfix and should be removed during the build process. I think the instructions do mention this but perhaps they are easy to miss! 

I might have missed it as well. No worries, I’ll cut them off, thanks!

• Like 1

Great build, thanks for sharing. It's definitely on my "to get" list.  How was the fit of the struts to the wings?  I've not built a biplane in years, but that was always my dread.

As for scale, stop complaining you lot, It is in a correct scale! 1/72 is way too small! I like to be able to see my models without a microscope thank you!

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Devilfish said:

Great build, thanks for sharing. It's definitely on my "to get" list.  How was the fit of the struts to the wings?  I've not built a biplane in years, but that was always my dread.

As for scale, stop complaining you lot, It is in a correct scale! 1/72 is way too small! I like to be able to see my models without a microscope thank you!

I only had to trim the mounting point on one cabane strut. That was it. It fit excellently. And yes this is a perfect scale for this subject. But if they did it in 72, I’d still get it 😝

1 hour ago, Rob G said:

It's pretty subtle, but Steps 49 and 50 show it. ;)

I’ll clip them off👍🏼

Edited by Habu12

Cracking Shagbat, hope mine turns out as well. Got one last week, have opened the box & drooled over it.

No, it's not ugly but just has character.

Pete

Edited by Buzby061
  • Thanks 1