LDRG Chev Truck, SAS Jeep and vignette

Ceithearn

Hi Everyone, 

It's been a busy summer and fall.

Have to mention, if you have a chance to visit, the Canada Space and Aviation Museum in Ottawa is absolutely first class. 

Posting these pics more as a test after moving off PB. Village Photos does seem to work quite well at the moment.

Ongoing vignette/environment for the LDRG truck and SAS Jeep. Many firsts again on this project including varying degrees of filters, washes and weathering. Scratch build on the rope is cotton string with paint, wash and mud. Scale doesn't look great in the photo, not quite as bad in real life, size certainly could be better.

Work is ongoing with accessories, figures and the diorama base.

This project is not on par with many of the amazing builds displayed on Britmodeller but I'm enjoying the hobby and improving (hopefully) with each project.

Also on the go is an AFV Wiesel, my first shot a modern vehicle.

If anyone has simple ideas/projects to add to the diorama such as grasses, gravel, or other please let me know. 

Thanks to everyone who posts their how-to tips and helps with advice; this is a great community.

Regards,

Robert

resized_ed0896df-ff84-46e6-9f27-d3f0b055

resized_f8d915b5-2d3f-4521-b421-1d63123e

resized_3501b672-8077-4b83-80c5-48183cda

• Like 12

Hi Robert,

A classic pairing if ever I saw one! :D

I built both of these back in my teens circa 1978. I returned to the hobby 2 years ago and will definitely be getting them both again!

Your vehicles look great to me; the figures a little harder to see and judge. That rope definitely needs replacing though.

When it comes to the diorama, you'll have to think about your figures. The problem is that two of them are shown actually driving the vehicles, or are about to set off, or have just this moment stopped. So, it will look a bit odd if you have cargo and equipment sitting on the sand all on its own. You'll need more figures re-supplying and re-fuelling your vehicles at a pit stop. Or maybe they're just pulling up at, or about to leave a campsite.

Have a search and look at what other members have done with these two classics.

And lastly, you should post this topic in the diorama WIP section and show your progress in there. You'll get many more tips!

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 3

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 6:28 AM, Carius said:

Hi my friend, glad to see you here. I will be following this project with interest :popcorn:

Cheers :popcorn:

Thank you Carius.

This is going to be an ongoing evolution adding, fixing pieces while carrying along with other projects.

As you know your fabulous build(s) of these has been a template for my project:smartass:

R.

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 7:20 AM, clive_t said:

:thumbsup:Hi, looking great so far. Following also :popcorn:

Appreciate the encouragement Clive, thank you. Keeps me going :D

R.

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 7:31 AM, Darby said:

Always a good pairing for a simple dio. and coming along nicely. If you Google 'Ruddy Sand Nav!' you'll see how basic mine was. 

Your dio is various nice Darby! Particularly like your dust covering and additions along the side of the truck. :clap:

Couple questions, which product or what did u use for the dust? One of the Mig or Vallejo dust products I would imagine? Application technique? The gravel and rock, is that a purchased product or I see your garden is nearby....

Thanks, will continue to add accessories and features to mine.

R.

12 hours ago, Badder said:

When it comes to the diorama, you'll have to think about your figures. The problem is that two of them are shown actually driving the vehicles, or are about to set off, or have just this moment stopped. So, it will look a bit odd if you have cargo and equipment sitting on the sand all on its own. You'll need more figures re-supplying and re-fuelling your vehicles at a pit stop. Or maybe they're just pulling up at, or about to leave a campsite.

I have no experience of either of the vehicles, but I can say it might be worth taking a look at the MiniArt British Jeep crew set, which includes 3 seated figures, one of which can be posed looking over his shoulder with one hand on the steering wheel, the other resting on the back of the seat. Might be it looks a little better given the vehicle (s) are 'parked'.

If it were me, though, I'd just hack them up and readjust the pose to suit! :)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Badder said:

Hi Robert,

A classic pairing if ever I saw one! :D

I built both of these back in my teens circa 1978. I returned to the hobby 2 years ago and will definitely be getting them both again!

Your vehicles look great to me; the figures a little harder to see and judge. That rope definitely needs replacing though.

Have a search and look at what other members have done with these two classics.

And lastly, you should post this topic in the diorama WIP section and show your progress in there. You'll get many more tips!

Rearguards,

Badder

Hi Badder,

Thanks for the comments. Love the SAS and desert campaign as subject matter :)

The rope....doesn't look as bad irl but yes could use a better scale and hopefully finishing technique.

Working on a new driver for the truck now. Jeep....driver is testing play in steering box after driving through that gully....perhaps a change later.

Project has taken on a life's of it's own. Started as the truck build, then, while reading SAS history, thought a jeep would be good idea....the chaps needed an environment....:frantic:

Dio section good idea. Would be nice to add some desert flora and fauna for colour and contrast.

All the best,

R.

1 minute ago, Ceithearn said:

The rope....doesn't look as bad irl but yes could use a better scale and hopefully finishing technique

If you do replace the rope, you just need some thinner cotton/braid. If I make ropes from cotton/braid nowadays, I give them a soak in dilute PVA first, then pinch them between my fingers at the top and squeeze while running my fingers down to the other end. This flattens and sticks the fibres down, giving the 'rope' a non-hairy finish. You can then wrap it around the bumper and it will set hard in positon, requiring no glue.

3 minutes ago, Ceithearn said:

Project has taken on a life's of it's own. Started as the truck build, then, while reading SAS history, thought a jeep would be good idea....the chaps needed an environment....:frantic:

My dioramas evolve a lot too! My current one started out as a winter setting for a StuG III hiding behind a derelict building and is now a summer scene featuring a Cromwell, Churchill and Universal Carrier and an entire house! :lol:

I look forward to seeing your diorama evolve as well!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ceithearn said:

Your dio is various nice Darby! Particularly like your dust covering and additions along the side of the truck. :clap:

Couple questions, which product or what did u use for the dust? One of the Mig or Vallejo dust products I would imagine? Application technique? The gravel and rock, is that a purchased product or I see your garden is nearby....

Thanks, will continue to add accessories and features to mine.

R.

Cheers. The dust is a mix of ground up non oil based pastels and a very light spray of Tamiya acrylics (can't remember which ones). The base is a bag of small pebbley stuff for railway modelling sprayed and dusted with the above. The bags etc. along the sides were just what came with the kit.

• Like 1

Not to rain on your parade,  but I see the fairy story of blue stripes is still alive and kicking.  This colour was never a usual disruptive colour in the desert, at this period early 1942 the basic colour was Light Stone BS.61 or by May 1942 , Desert Pink  ZI which is similar colour to your base.  By June LRDG vehicles were plain colour. The type of scheme depicted was used in 1941 when the Caunter patterning was in use, before these Chevrolets were available.   According to one of the founder members of SAS, Reg  (surname?),  in his book, the yellow SAS jeeps were Desert Pink too over which the unit added patches of Light Stone, dark green and "light green".  The darker colour being the newly introduced Dark Olive Green of October 1942 and lighter colour probably old BS.28 Silver Grey.   Otherwise very neatly built.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 11:34 AM, Badder said:

If you do replace the rope, you just need some thinner cotton/braid. If I make ropes from cotton/braid nowadays, I give them a soak in dilute PVA first, then pinch them between my fingers at the top and squeeze while running my fingers down to the other end. This flattens and sticks the fibres down, giving the 'rope' a non-hairy finish. You can then wrap it around the bumper and it will set hard in positon, requiring no glue.

My dioramas evolve a lot too! My current one started out as a winter setting for a StuG III hiding behind a derelict building and is now a summer scene featuring a Cromwell, Churchill and Universal Carrier and an entire house! :lol:

I look forward to seeing your diorama evolve as well!

Rearguards,

Badder

Thanks for the specifics on the rope Badder, will give that a try. The existing rope at first looked like it would work...wet it was a thinner diameter and not all fuzzy. Then, as it dried, it became a completely new beast all large and fuzzy like a cute caterpillar.

The dios are fun to let the imagination run.

All the best,

R.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 11:55 AM, Darby said:

Cheers. The dust is a mix of ground up non oil based pastels and a very light spray of Tamiya acrylics (can't remember which ones). The base is a bag of small pebbley stuff for railway modelling sprayed and dusted with the above. The bags etc. along the sides were just what came with the kit.

Thanks Darby. Certainly can use those nuggets of information and experience, appreciate your input.

All the best,

R.

21 hours ago, Mike Starmer said:

Not to rain on your parade,  but I see the fairy story of blue stripes is still alive and kicking.  This colour was never a usual disruptive colour in the desert, at this period early 1942 the basic colour was Light Stone BS.61 or by May 1942 , Desert Pink  ZI which is similar colour to your base.  By June LRDG vehicles were plain colour. The type of scheme depicted was used in 1941 when the Caunter patterning was in use, before these Chevrolets were available.   According to one of the founder members of SAS, Reg  (surname?),  in his book, the yellow SAS jeeps were Desert Pink too over which the unit added patches of Light Stone, dark green and "light green".  The darker colour being the newly introduced Dark Olive Green of October 1942 and lighter colour probably old BS.28 Silver Grey.   Otherwise very neatly built.

Mike I really enjoy this kind of detail, certainly don't view your post as a rain shower. Having read several books on the SAS, it's early days and origins, can't say I recall any discussion on the specific camo schemes. Given my memory, that isn't saying much!

We'll have to say the blue was a splash of colour splashed on by colour blind painter.

Do appreciate you taking the time share your knowledge on the subject! 

All the best,

R.