Fine panel line pin washes

kitman

Hi just after any help regards very fine panel lines and rivets. I am really struggling at the moment to get any sort of pin wash to work on the kit i am working on at the moment. I have tried enamel / sludge wash methods so far but both seem relucent to 

work. Anybody any ideas as to what i can do to help. Ps - i have put a varnish on the model. Thanks in advance.

In which way is it not working mate?

if you are more specific it may help...

At a guess if it’s not staying in the detail then either - 

1. you are not leaving it to dry long enough so its all getting wiped away. 

2. The gloss(? As you dont say) varnish it too thick and has filled in all the detail so it can’t hold onto the wash. 

Also a general point, most times its advised to remove a wash in the direction of the airflow, to provide streaking at the same time. 

Some times you have to box clever depending on the orientation of the panel lines. As in you can end up wiping the wash out completely of a lengthwise/airflow panel line. 

So I always start by wiping off any excess wash perpendicular to each panel line which can help push it into it. 

Then work on the streaking later. 

Hope this helps. 

• Like 1

Another thing to mind out for is what you’re using to wipe off the wash. If it’s too soft (like a cotton bud) you can end up wiping the wash out of the lines.

Best thing I’ve found is an old bit of t-shirt with quite a close weave, wrapped tightly round a finger.

You need to watch out for how much thinners/white spirit you’re using as well, too much and you’ll just end up reconstituting the initial wash.

Mart

• Like 1