Hornet F.1 Help

Bruce Archer

Hi All!

I thought I was buying a Hornet F.3, but in the box was an F.1. The decals are for silver airplanes, which I do not do (personal choice I just do not like silver airplanes), so I need help in acquiring a camo'd scheme for the F.1. If some one has decals they can part with, great.

Thanks!

Bruce

Bruce, 

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, however you may struggle to find a camouflaged Hornet F.1 scheme - I think. 

There are a few examples of Medium Sea grey (Upper) over PRU Blue (Lower) examples, however AFAIK the traditional camouflage may have been introduced when the F.3 was more prominent. 

These grey / blue Hornets still look quite nice and will get you out of the 'all silver' look that you don't like. 

HTH... Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bruce Archer said:

Any Med. Sea Grey and PRU blue scheme is oK. Google is NOT my friend on this.

Can anyone help?

Bruce

I don't know how legal this is, however here goes nothing! 

Here's a nice profile of Hornet F.1 PX232 from 65 Squadron. 

Cheers... Dave

37096084144_0d1247f764_b.jpg

I've just found an image of PX275, wearing white codes GO:F, and PX217 with no unit markings if that's any help.  Both sport two-colour roundels (fuselage and upper wing surfaces) and fin flashes.  You could do one of the prototypes, RR515 and '519IIRC, with Dark Green and Ocean Grey upper surfaces, Yellow undersides and "Type C" upper wing roundels.

I'd treat the profile that Dave has posted with caution: the upper cowling panels were Medium Sea Grey and the demarcation between this and the PRU Blue followed the panel edge above and behind the exhausts.  Hornet F. Mk. Is also did not carry bombs or rockets, being regarded purely as interceptor fighters.

Hi All!

Thank you for your help. I also finally found 3 schemes on the weirdest place...Amazon.com. I looked to see if they carried the Warpaint book on the Hornet. They did. And they had images of some of the pages and showed : PX232 YT*R of 65 Sqn, PX238 XL*D of 226 OTU, and finally PX275 GO*F of the Central Fighter Est.

Bruce

Though note steve219's warning re underwing stores on Mk Is (they couldn't carry them).  I also believe that all the above MSG/PRU Blue profiles above are in error by suggesting that the colour demarcation sweeps up to meet the tailplane: in fact the straight line demarcation appears to continues through to the tail.

The Air Britain Hornet File offers photos of the following Mk Is in MSG/PRU Blue:

PX302 EB-D (black codes) 41 Sq (p.39) 

PX232 YT-R (white codes) 65 Sq (p.73, 75)

PX238 XL-D (black codes) 226 OCU (p.92)

PX275 GO-F (white codes) CFE (p.93)

PX216 WA-T/N (black codes) Yorkshire sector, personalised code of W/C Tiny Neale.

and profiles as follows:

PX281 XL-E (black codes) 226 OCU (p.43)

PX250 SH-H (white codes, Type C roundels/fin flash) 64 Sq (p.43).

plus numerous serial/code correlations for the different squadrons.

Or you could do something a little different:

Hornet PR.2 PX216 R (small white code) iin overall PRU Blue as tested at Boscombe Down (photo, p.21). 

Hornet PR.2 VA964 in overall PRU Blue as used for barrier trials at RAE - no codes, blue/red markings (photo, p.127). 

HTH

Edited by Seahawk
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...