1/72 Buccaneer S.2D

Evening people. Thought it was time for a little update. The evenings have been taken by sorting out the fuselage. The fit wasn't brilliant, so I took my time by starting at one end and working my way backwards.

IMG_7923.jpg

Here we have the port intake...

IMG_7924.jpg

...and starboard intake. Not looking forward to sorting these intakes out.

IMG_7925.jpg

Looking at port side and joins don't look too bad but need tidying-up all the same. Also in the pic are the air brakes glued shut, no I'm not doing them open. On the right are the slipper tanks, tail fin and the resin tail plane. And the paints I will end up using will be Colourcoats.

IMG_7926.jpg

Another pic, this time including the four Martels, undercarriage doors undergoing 'sink mark' filling, wings that are yet to be looked at but pitot will be replaced by one by Master, and no I'm not doing wings folded...I like a simple life

This evening, I started removing the raised panel lines and ended by filling the seems where necessary.

Time for a beer me thinks.

Stuart

Edited by Courageous
Image link fix
  • Like 6

I hope the MARTIAN doesnt notice this...

You might get away with it

Blimey there some work to do in those intakes, I can see why Matchbox plumped for separate intake mouldings for them

I dont want you to think I am envious of the slipper tanks, oh no, not at all

not

honest

Anyway, beer time sounds about right, cheers  :drink:

• 2 weeks later...

Time has not been standing still on this 'ere bucc. Since the last update, most of the work has been done on the bodywork and those dreaded intakes.

IMG_7946.jpgPort intake

IMG_7947.jpgStarboard intake

I couldn't believe how much work had to be done on these intakes, hours of filling, sanding, filling and sanding. Eventually it was time for a layer of Mr Primer Surface 1000 to be applied, sanded and re-applied. And now I think I'm done, not perfect but considering what it was like, we're good to go :yes:.

With the intakes done, it was time to move onto the airbrake/ fuselage area.

IMG_7948.jpg

IMG_7949.jpg

The airbrake has been placed into the fuselage and it can be seen that their is a size issue; brakes too wide or fuselage too narrow? Time to look at some plans me thinks :hmmm:

Also of concern is the nose cone as I've heard their are issues here also :shrug:

Suggestions please.

Stuart

Edited by Courageous
Image link fix
  • Like 5

Excellent work on tidying up those intakes, looks like a bit of a chore to do!

Just seen the disscusion about the intakes interior colours.  On Navy service jets they were not white, but much darker.

My interpretation is that they were a natural metal finish which quickly weathered/oxidised to an off metal tan-ish hue.

Natural metal finish was standard for 1950s/'60s jets in the FAA.

Unfortunately I cannot find any official references to the intakes finish, but having spent hours looking over period photographs and sticking my head inside an unrestored S.1 that is the conclusion I come to.

A few examples in photos seemed to have been painted in EDSG or close to.

But, definitely not white!

Hard to find photos with the light shining down the intakes, but they are out there

These might help a bit,

royal-navy-buccaneer-with-ark-royal-in-t

https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fabpic.co.uk%2Fpictures%2Ffull_size_0105%2F1159379-large.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fabpic.co.uk%2Fpictures%2Fregistration%2FXV866&docid=zS94Higz2a9FrM&tbnid=m1BQRPoO7rTerM%3A&vet=10ahUKEwjwvbjy07DZAhVKLcAKHSO6D4IQMwg9KAAwAA..i&w=1024&h=664&itg=1&bih=637&biw=1366&q=Buccaneer XV866 air britain&ved=0ahUKEwjwvbjy07DZAhVKLcAKHSO6D4IQMwg9KAAwAA&iact=mrc&uact=8

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1159378

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 3

Looks like too much taper in the fuselage section Stuart, the brake petals look right enough to me

As you know I have spent many an hour studying that tail area in 1/72 scale

If you bulk out the section where the brakes fit you should be ok, I would suggest Matchbox got that area right

(In a very odd manner!).  😱

Edited by perdu

• 2 weeks later...

In between other builds, 1:1 DIY, snow and sub zero temperatures, I've managed a bit of work on the old Bucc.

IMG_7954.jpg

IMG_7955.jpg

Nose and tail sections needing some attention with a filler and sanding routine.

IMG_7966.jpg

Tail nearly there.

IMG_7967.jpg

A shot of primer on the fuselage. Still some areas that need a bit of tidying up and a few panel lines that need to be erased.

IMG_7968.jpg

A collection bits primed and ready for fitting. Outer wings sanded, primed, scribed and reprimed, port wing fitted with metal pitot from Master.

Thanks for looking and hopefully the next update won't be too far away.

Stuart

Edited by Courageous
Image link fix
  • Like 9

Hi, 

I see you're progressing well on your Buccaneer!!!

The primer gives it a very smooth look!!!:yes:

I would remove the airbrakes and make 2 cross cuts about 1cm deep at the fuselage end. 

I would then add four small spavers to open the cone out a bit , to match the airbrakes.

Ciao 

Massimo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Courageous changed the title to 1/72 Buccaneer S.2D

Things are ticking along albeit very, very slowly...the Bucc mojo is very low. Try as I may, the rescribing of the panel lines is not my forte so I've abandoned that idea and having none. So as I prep everything before primer, I've come across a little problem and believe that I may have missing parts.

royal-navy-buccaneer-with-ark-royal-in-t

The parts that I believe are missing are those 'sticky outy' things that are outboard of the outer stores pylon. I have have no idea what these dudes are or if they should be fitted for the build subject of an S2D, Ark Royal, 1976. If they should be fitted, can somebody post a good image of these beasties so that I can scratch a pair?

Also, the front coming where the HUD sits, is it the same across all variants as their is nothing there for the Airfix kits?

Stuart

Edited by Courageous
Addition

Essentially they were ECM defensive measures and they are the aerials for the wide-band homer system.

They changed a little in style, the S.1 period they were more circular in cross section where as later on they are squared off more in section and the side elavation of the tip takes on an odd shape. 

The display for this system was in the rear cockpit, port side, adjacent to the main radar display.   It was modified during the long service career, which is why the shape changed a little.

Eventually in the late 1980s the Sky Guardian system was fitted in these pods.

You should have these pods (I would say the later type) fitted for the jet you are building and the coming is pretty much the same across all types.

I would say the nearest shape to what you need are in this walkaround, nice clear shots in the first few pics

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry peeps but I had a little stall on this old girl. I've got other things out of the way and took another look at the Bucc. I had a minor mishap, namely I broke one of the wing-fold joints and had to carry out a bit of remedial repair, and I'm now at the point where I just want it painted. So, it sits with primer and awaits painting but first the canopy.

Looking at the canopy, it doesn't look straight forward like the stuff I'm used to, so, what's the best way to mask and paint this, I don't have masks before you ask?

Stuart

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi BMers.

Many modelers have slowed down over the last few weeks/ months to various reasons; heat, humidity, football, DIY, holidays and for me, a backlog of models awaiting a paint job. Backlog cleared and it's the Bucc's turn.

IMG_8193.jpg

IMG_8194.jpg

Painted overall with EDSG (ACRN02) and bays painted with Blue/ Grey (GW13), both from Colourcoats. I have read a few debates about the colour for the bays and seeing that I already had a blue/grey, I used that. The Bucc was then 'Kleared'. Next stop, stickers and bits.

Stuart

Edited by Courageous
Addition
  • Like 8

Decal time.

IMG_8195.jpg

IMG_8196.jpg

Main problem I had was with the second hand instruction sheet that had a lot of the decal numbers blacked-out, which didn't help with placement. So, the main decals went on and some of the bigger stencils. Decals were MicroSold and settled nicely, and when done, Tamiya satin varnish was applied.

IMG_8197.jpg

Here we have bombs, pylons, Martels and undercarriage (top). Canopy, blast shield, undercarriage doors (middle). Antennae and seats (bottom). 

Next stop, putting it all together.

Stuart

• Like 13

Looking very good and an excellent job knowing the base kit,but..

Hope you don't mind me  making a few points if I may?

Is the fuel vent back to front? Difficult to tell from photo.

I don't think Navy Buccaneers had the chaff dispensers but open to correction on that.

XV344 wasn't Martel capable so lovely as your missiles are they wouldn't be correct for that airframe.

• Thanks 1

You may be right Scimitar. I have since checked for the fuel vent, yes it's back to front and will be corrected before the next update. As for 'countermeasures' mounted under the tail pipes, they're staying there now if they're wrong.

Stuart

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

Looking every inch a Buccaneer Stuart! Lovely job, looking forward to the finish!

Cheers Terry. Definitely looks like a Bucc, and I will be happy when it's finished.

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

That's coming along very nicely if I may say so!

Cheers James. Not to shabby, hey.

25 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Very nice. Looks purposeful in overall grey. Didn't see anything with that much character flying down the Mall yesterday...

Cheers Adrian. Mall yesterday...I would have thought that after 100 years, you'd have a bit more variation.

Stuart

• Like 1