1/72 Buccaneer S.2D

Hi Guys,

This is a subject that has appeared more by accident than by design. A recent and out-of-the-blue PM from a BM’er, offered me a 1/72 Airfix Buccaneer kit with resin bits to build up. Needless to say, I accepted his offer and here it is…partially started. This will be a relatively slow build that will done during lunchtime at work

The parts supplied look like they’re from an early and later boxing of the Airfix kit, kit decal set and a pile of smaller stuff, some of it resin. 

IMG_7814.jpg

Here we have the fuselage halves; the lower half is fitted with a resin bomb bay that is screaming for something to put in it. Wheel wells are looking a bit anemic and will need to be detailed a little. The upper fuselage contains something that is meant to resemble a cockpit but is way out. and when you’ve got a nice pair of MB resin ejection seats, it’s a must to do the cockpit and will be a mixture of scratch and decals.

IMG_7815.jpg

IMG_7820.jpg

There is a resin tail plane and a vacform canopy included; wonder if these are corrections?

IMG_7816.jpg

The pitot tube is already fitted, the refuelling probe is ‘pants’ and as already discussed, these parts will most probably be replaced.

IMG_7817.jpg

The undercarriage looks basic and will get some attention.

IMG_7819.jpg

Q1: With the bomb bay exposed, can I still build an S.2D and if so what can I hang in there as I have a number of bombs?

Q2: I have been informed that the bomb bay should have some kind of 'fairing' to aid airflow when open?

First things to do:

1. As always, the cockpit, especially when you’ve got a pair of resin MB ejection seats.

2. Add detail to anemic wheel wells.

3. Get data on tail plane and canopy

4. Purchase probe/ pitot set.

5. Fiddle away at undercarriage.

So until the next update, it's over to you guys.

Regards,

Stuart

Edited by Courageous
Image link fix
  • Like 11

It looks like a decent place to start from, the seats are magnificent as is the bomb bay

I envy you the tailplanes unit, I still have miles to go on mine

😕

I will be tagging along, I have considered getting the later Airfix one for my Blackburn stable

I'm keen to follow this! The Bucc has long been a favourite of mine, from watching Test Pilot endlessly as a child. Dad built me a later version of this boxing - with, I think, C batteries in the bomb bay as nose weight! - that I had hours of fun playing with.

Good luck and bring on the updates!

• Like 1

@massimo, I plan on using the kit decals for an S.2D; 809 NAS, FAA, HMS Ark Royal, 1976.

I know very little of the Bucc, so all help will be grateful.

Have taken a quick look at this pitot/ refueling probe replacement by Master. Looks nice, don't see how it fits though.

Stuart

Edited by Courageous
Addition
  • Like 1

Q1: With the bomb bay exposed, can I still build an S.2D and if so what can I hang in there as I have a number of bombs?

four british 1000lb bombs wouldnt look amis in the bomb bay,would need confirmation if the navy used the internal bomb bay?

Q2: I have been informed that the bomb bay should have some kind of 'fairing' to aid airflow when open?

dont recall the buccaneer ever having a fairing open around the bomb bay

look here for loading options and just about anything else buccaneer related http://www.blackburn-buccaneer.co.uk/

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Jo NZ said:

If you can't find a suitable bomb load, how about a large "Fly Navy" sign in the open bomb bay, as they used to do for air displays?

Not a bad idea...has anybody have a pic of what his 'sign' looked like?

25 minutes ago, buccymad said:

four british 1000lb bombs wouldnt look amis in the bomb bay,would need confirmation if the navy used the internal bomb bay?

dont recall the buccaneer ever having a fairing open around the bomb bay

look here for loading options and just about anything else buccaneer related http://www.blackburn-buccaneer.co.uk/

The bomb bay open is a concern as it does limit the aircraft choice in using the kit decals. And if it transpires that the -D didn't have a payload inits 'belly', then it's 'Fly Navy'. The other option is a -B, and that has a belly tank, no bomb bay and would mean fitting the belly tank which would be a pity.:frantic:

The S2D was basically the Navy version of the RAF,s S2B. Having a marginally better nav kit than earlier marks and the ability to carry Martel missiles on the "universal" wing pylons.

The D didn't have the fuel tank in the bulged bomb bay door as the Navy didn't like it for deck landings. The large cylindrical auxiliary fuel tank fitted inside the bomb bay was only fitted for long ferry fights or when roled up for "buddy" inflight refuelling.

As Buccymad said, a standard weapon fit in the bomb bay would be 4 x 1,000lb or 540lb bombs. These would be loaded with their 1,000lb carriers on the top of the bomb, into the 4 rectangular recesses in the bomb bay you have.

http://www.blackburn-buccaneer.co.uk/Pages1_files/Technical_files/Tech7_files/1000lb_2x1.jpg

The aerodynamic fairings you mention, were fitted to the front and rear of the bomb bay when WE177 "buckets of instant sunshine" were loaded to stations 9 & 10. These were side by side in the middle section of the bay. 

The fairings smoothed the airflow to allow clean release of the nukes.

Edited by Phone Phixer
  • Like 4

I used to visit BAe Woodford in the 80's, when they were converting the Navy Buccs to RAF versions - the hanger was full of them. Curiously there was a catch net at the end of the (pretty long) runway.  It was for the Buccaneers - as carrier aircraft the brakes are only there to stop it falling off the flight deck, and no use at all on landing. I guess Woodford could have fitted arrestor wires on the runway....

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Courageous said:

I'm still searching through the pile of bits but how does 2/4 1000lb bombs in bay, fuel tanks on inboard pylons and Sea Eagles on outer pylons sound?

No Sea Eagles. They only came into use around 1985, so RAF S2B Bucc's only.

They would need to be Martel missiles.

Rob.

On 20/10/2017 at 4:59 PM, Phone Phixer said:

No Sea Eagles. They only came into use around 1985, so RAF S2B Bucc's only.

They would need to be Martel missiles.

My mistake, I misread Wiki...Martels it will be.

Just taken the wastage off these lovely ejection seats and a thought came into my head. Having only the resin seats as reference, I have no images of their launch rails. Can anybody help with what these looked like?

And while you hopefully do that for me, I'll look into removing this thing called a cockpit tub.

Stuart

The rails were part of the ejection gun. The Bucc used the Martin Baker Mk 6 seat, the main assemblies were similar to all other seats of that era.

The Mk 6 introduced the rocket pack to allow zero-zero ejection capability.

These pictures, although not Mk 6 seats will give you the general idea of how the seat structure fits onto the gun & rails, the result is not much is visible.

Ejection gun

https://images.ehive.com/accounts/5372/objects/images/1askn3r_9pci_l.jpg

Seat and gun together,

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/uploads//monthly_01_2012/post-12336-1326557510.jpg

How it all looks in the cramped confines of the Bucc's cockpit.

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/buccaneer/walkaround.php

I cant seem to get the last item to work as a link. You will just need to copy & paste into a new window.

Hope these are of help.

Rob.

Edited by Phone Phixer
Linky no work.

Very useful links Rob, thanks.

Am I to take it that the ejection gun is bolted straight onto the bulkhead? Is their a bulkhead behind the pilot's seat as I can't tell from photos but I imagine their would have been?

Stuart

Yep, the ejection gun is bolted to the bulkhead using 2 bolts.

It wasn't a full bulkhead between the 2 cockpits. More like a framework that had a few areas filled in with sheet metal, other areas had instuments/nav kit filling in the voids.

xv361%2035.jpg

This is looking through from the rear to the front cockpit.

Photo taken from the BM walkround section. There are some really good reference photo's in there.

Just be careful, some of the aircraft have later mods that would not be valid for your planned S2D (like chaff/flare dispensers).

• Like 1

It's the end of a working week with a number of lunchtime sessions and it's update time.

IMG_7821.jpg

First job was to make a hole in the upper fuselage, so with gusto it's out with what was supposed to be a cockpit tub. If you're wondering why, I had resin ejection seats that impacted on the canopy so the floor needing lowering anyway, so you might as well do the the whole tub right?!

IMG_7822.jpg

Here we have the makings of the the new 'office'. A bit of trial and error but we're getting there. This will only be a representation with the major bits and will no way be accurate, but hopefully will be good enough.

IMG_7823.jpg

And just a pic to show you how it looks with the navi's seat placed in its offset to starboard configuration.

Comments and critique welcome.

Until next time.

Stuart

Edited by Courageous
Image link fix
  • Like 7

Guess what, it's update time.

IMG_7824.jpg

IMG_7825.jpg

Not an accurate pair of offices but miles ahead of what the kit was offering.

IMG_7826.jpg

A quick blast with the primer.

IMG_7827.jpg

Seats 'plonked' in to see how it all looks.

Detail painting later as paints are at home.

Next on the list are wheel wells. Again, they a very basic and need sprucing-up a bit.

Until next week.

Stuart

Edited by Courageous
Image link fix
  • Like 16