MRP modern RAF colours.

NealParkes

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if you can guide me on something.

I have been perusing the MRP colour chart and they do seem to cover WWII RAF colours quite nicely however there does not seem to be anything in the range to cover more modern aircraft.

I was wondering what people did for Light Aircraft Grey and Camouflage Grey (Barley Grey)? I'd like to replace my Mr Hobby when they run out and was thinking about picking up some paint at Telford therefore wing my research now.

Thanks for your help.

Neal

I have been waiting for MRP to do the modern RAF colours for some time. Over a year ago I asked Rene if he had plans to do the modern colours and he said he did but so far nothing has appeared.

There are various paint sets out there that claim to be the BS colours but so far I haven't found any that are completely satisfactory to my eye (maybe that's the problem). Mr Hobby's Dark Green is actually the best match I can find but their DSG and LAG are not to my liking.

I have recently bought the Hataka Modern RAF paint sets but haven't had the chance to do anything other than do spot checks with them (I am a bit apprehensive about them as my first experience of Hataka paints ended with them all being thrown in the bin but they are supposedly much improved since then).

I did a comparison of the various colours in a Phantom WIP thread on BM a few years back which should still be floating around (providing Photobucket hasn't blocked it). I still haven't finished that Phantom due to not finding a dark grey that I liked although Mr Hobby had a few that were possible options IIRC.

Hope that helps

Duncan B

On 10/19/2017 at 3:25 PM, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Cough cough - that Dark Sea Grey you got from me does match the British Standard, tyvm! You might need your eyes recalibrated :lol:

You need that cough seen to Jamie :) Your colours do match very nicely but I assumed the OP was only interested in Acrylic paints, my mistake. Let me correct that right now.

Neal, Sovereign Hobbies do a very comprehensive range of modern enamel paint colours including the British Standard matched colours (I know because Jamie showed me the very expensive paint swatches he used to match them) also he is very pedantic (but don't tell him I said that) about his research so would not let anything into production that he isn't entirely happy with. As chance would have it Sovereign Hobbies will be trading at Telford this year so you could always drop in on him and take a look at what he has on offer. (remember to ask for a good discount, say I sent you).

Duncan B

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Now now there's no need for the sales patter! It's not like I'm a sponsor who needs mentioned :jabber:hahaha

It was good sales patter though. 

I had completely forgotten that I had your DSG! I guess I have one less excuse for getting one of the Phantoms painted now.

As for Sponsorship, I'll not be doing that again. :worms:

DB

• Haha 1