1:48 Hawker Sea Fury from Hobby Craft

Kallisti

Many years ago - well 2012 to be exact I started to build this kit for a GB on another site (UAMF to be precise) however part way through I discovered a major problem with the kit I'd bought of eBay and gave up the build at that time. Ever since its been languishing on the shelf of doom until I did some sorting out last week and picked this up again.

DSCF6924.JPG

I'd bought some aftermarket stuff to go with it to improve some parts of what is essentially  a very basic kit

DSCF6929.JPG

I'd bought the resin cockpit set that was intended for the Trumpeter kit. This meant in needed a bit of fettling to fit this one,  but I reckoned it was possible. So here is the sprue shot - can you spot the problem?

DSCF6926.JPG

Anyway, so I started building and the cockpit went in okay

DSCF7122.JPG

Bit closer

DSCF7126.JPG

The wings went together okay

DSCF7124.JPG

Then the problem revealed itself...

DSCF7125.JPG

Yup thats one SINGLE tailplane - the other one was missing!  Back in 2012, I'd only been back in the hobby about a year and a half, so this was enough to put me off the kit and it got pushed back into the shed. Since then of course I'd built some truly ridiculous things (bar armour Scimtars, giant Oil Platforms etc etc), so the challenge of scratch building a new tailplane crossed my mind as being an interesting and doable challenge - lets face it, I've overcome worse problems in my modelling career!

I've got one tailplane so this can be used as a template, so I cut up some 1mm plastic card and sandwiched it with some .75mm card and slathered it with filler...

DSC_8922.JPG

DSC_8923.JPG

Then after several sanding, shaping and more filling sessions, it got given a coat of Mr Surfacer 1000 from a rattle can

DSC_8926.JPG

This has been sanded a bit more, some surface dimples filled again and more sanding and now its currently got a new layer of Mr Surfacer 1000 drying to see what it looks like.

I've decided to build this as an Australian plane in sky and EDSG, so looking forward to progressing and finishing this after all this time...

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

...and here it is now complete. i can't honestly say its one of my best builds - it was more a matter of guilt to get it off the shelf of doom, but it looks like a Sea Fury after all is said and done!

Its painted with Tamiya XF-21 for sky and XF-77 for Extra Dark Sea Grey. Had issues with the original matt varnish I was using and everything went chalky, so gave it another coat of clear and on advice from some of my club-mates, I tried out Daler Rowny Artists acrylic matt varnish and it was marvellous! Went on with the airbrush like a dream, just smells a bit as I thinned it with turps. Next time I'll thin it with Sansodor which smell a lot less unpleasant!

I didn't dirty it up too much, just a panel line wash and so it appears as a RAN Sea Fury FB 11 of 807 NAS, Nowra NSW in the late 50s

DSC_8969.JPG

DSC_8970.JPG

DSC_8971.JPG

DSC_8973.JPG

DSC_8974.JPG

• Like 5