1/72 CC Liberator Hasegawa/Eduard?

Chuck1945

Some time Eduard was supposedly going to rebox the Hasegawa B-24 kit as a Coastal Command Liberator, adding parts as necessary. AFAIK this project has not appeared. In the meantime Hasegawa has issued their B-24 in Coastal Command guise. Any ideas if the Eduard became the Hasegawa one, if they are or will be separate endeavors, and the extra stuff in the Hasegawa version?

The Hasegawa kit is pricy, but most of Eduard's reboxing with their own decals and resin goodies are too so I suspect that part is a wash. I think I would prefer Eduard goodies but if that project is DoA, I want to get the Hasegawa kit while it is still available

Edited by Chuck1945
fix typo

58 minutes ago, Scott Hemsley said:

Take a look here, this might answer your questions ...  http://www.72news.eu/2017/10/eduard-consolidated-liberator-gr-riders.html

Scott

Thanks, that appears to answer the question, Eduard coming eventually. If priced like 1/48 Royal Class, it will be pricy!

Hard to believe the Hasegawa kit will probably be less costly than this one is when released.:o

Then again, if you can find an Academy (Minicraft?) B-24D or J on the secondary market, there's another route you can take. It may also work with the existing Hase. Liberator kit(s), I dunno ... but if it does , it's bound to be less pricy than either the new Hase issue or the new Eduar5d's release.

Pavla (http://www.pavlamodels.cz/) have 2 sets that cover the CC Liberator. Look in the section Resins for aircraft kits and select the 1/72 option.  Set U72-40 has enough to do a Liberator GR.V and VI (for the RCAF) despite the mfgr's description. It does not have a one-piece Emerson nose turret like the Hase. kit nor the 4-gun tail turret as used by some RAF Liberators and evidently contained in the pending Eduard release...Set U72-25 specifically covers the rocket-firing winglets that were fitted to some CC Liberator GR.V's..

Scott

6 minutes ago, Scott Hemsley said:

Then again, if you can find an Academy (Minicraft?) B-24D or J on the secondary market, there's another route you can take. It may also work with the existing Hase. Liberator kit(s), I dunno ... but if it does , it's bound to be less pricy than either the new Hase issue or the new Eduar5d's release.

Unfortunately, the Academy/Minicraft B-24s suffer from many inaccuracies not present in the Hasegawa kits.

I note you  chaps are all in North America,  it should be noted that many  of these Eduard  specials end up being discounted, certainly in the UK, going from "how much!" to, "I'll have one of those" .... though that may just be another Eduard trick,  as you start out  with the "how much!"  figure and then think you  got a bargain?

Bear in mind in the  UK Hasegawa kits are very overpriced,  so the Eduard specials are usually cheaper than the Japanese imports Limted Editions,  and have the extra bits.

As  for the Coastal Command....I suspect this is a big part of it  for Eduard

http://www.japo.eu/products.php?prod=17

bookcover17.jpg

""B-24 Liberator in RAF Coastal Command Service with Focus on Aircraft of No. 311 (Czechoslovak) Squadron RAF"

cheers

T

6 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

I note you  chaps are all in North America,  it should be noted that many  of these Eduard  specials end up being discounted, certainly in the UK, going from "how much!" to, "I'll have one of those" .... though that may just be another Eduard trick,  as you start out  with the "how much!"  figure and then think you  got a bargain?

Bear in mind in the  UK Hasegawa kits are very overpriced,  so the Eduard specials are usually cheaper than the Japanese imports Limted Editions,  and have the extra bits.

As  for the Coastal Command....I suspect this is a big part of it  for Eduard

http://www.japo.eu/products.php?prod=17

bookcover17.jpg

""B-24 Liberator in RAF Coastal Command Service with Focus on Aircraft of No. 311 (Czechoslovak) Squadron RAF"

cheers

T

Here, the Hasegawa CC kit has a MSRP of $100. 1/72 Eduard Royal Class kits (based on the Spitfire IX and Fw 190A-8 are around $90 (MSRP) and 1/48 RC are $100-150. The MSRP pricing came from Sprue Bros listings, actual price is usually less but still a "How Much!"

• Like 1

On 10/18/2017 at 1:29 PM, Scott Hemsley said:

Take a look here, this might answer your questions ...  http://www.72news.eu/2017/10/eduard-consolidated-liberator-gr-riders.html

Scott

Wow!  I wonder if Eduard might make that clear sprue available separately, or maybe as an "overtree."  They've corrected the most glaring problem of the Hasegawa B-24D: the fact that the kit has the wrong tail turret.

SN