Tamiya releasing new paint range

Builder

It'll be nice if they can bottle their good old Rattle can colour - AS12 Airframe Silver. 

I tend to use a fair bit of this stuff and am getting a little sick of having to decant it all the time. 

Mind you, it's a lovely paint and always seems to behave itself.

Does anyone know Japanese and can decipher those paint names?

Cheers.. Dave  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mike said:

Seems quite a small initial range :hmmm: Wonder what prompted them to move into lacquers when everyone else seems to be moving away?

Might be that MRP paints are taken the modeling world by storm and they might feel that it is cutting into their market. Lets face it paints have changed a lot and MRP paints are leading the way on that. Lacquers spray better then acrylics and the new formulas make it better then Floquil was in the day.  

Hacker...my opinion does not count in my house lol

Hmmmm this is interesting! 

I wonder if all the new paints’ shades will match 

what they already have out in enamel & acrylic or if they are going to release some new specific colours, as most of their current range is quite ‘generic’ apart from some of the higher numbers of XF paints...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony Oliver said:

Hmmmm this is interesting! 

I wonder if all the new paints’ shades will match 

what they already have out in enamel & acrylic or if they are going to release some new specific colours, as most of their current range is quite ‘generic’ apart from some of the higher numbers of XF paints...

Well it's a perfect opportunity to tweak some existing colours and come up with some 'accurate' shades in areas where they're not particularly strong - Luftwaffe, for example.  

• Like 2

On another forum, someone has posted some translations to the colours:

1) Black, 2) White, 3) Flat Black, 4) Flat White, 5) Semi-Gloss Black, 6)Pure Blue, 7) Pure Red, glasses.gif Pure Yellow, 9) Clear, 10) Laquer something, sorry, can't read it. 11) Silver, 12 - 15 are all Imperial Japanese Navy Greys. Sorry, can't read 16 & 17. 18) Dull Red, 19) Gunmetal, 20) Gold, 21) Italian Red, 22) Flat Base, 23) Flat Clear, 24) Semi-Gloss Clear, 25) Imperial Japanese Air Force Brown, 26) I.J.A. Green, 27) German Grey, 28) Olive Drab, 29) Olive Drab 2, 30) Light Sand.

http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=262872

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG
  • Like 1

The full list is:

1 Black 
2 White 
3 Flat Black 
4 Flat White 
5 Semi Gloss Black 
6 Pure Blue 
7 Pure Red 
8 Pure Yellow 
9 Clear 
10 Lacquer Solvent (10mL) 
11 Silver 
12 Kure Navy Arsenal Gray (Japan Navy) 
13 Sasebo Navy Arsenal Grey (Japan Navy) 
14 Maizuru Navy Arsenal Gray (Japan Navy) 
15 Yokosuka Navy Arsenal Gray (Japan Navy) 
16 Wood Deck Color 
17 Linoleum Deck Color 
18 Dull Red 
19 Gunmetal 
20 Gold 
21 Italian Red 
22 Flat Base 
23 Flat Clear 
24 Semi Gloss Clear 
25 Brown (Ground Self Defense Force) 
26 Dark Green (Ground Self Defense Force) 
27 German Gray 
28 Olive Drab 
29 Olive Drab 2 
30 Desert Sand

• Like 3

Interesting, but is there a review somewhere that allows for the conclusion that this paint is similar to MRP (i.e. an ink-like, super fine and pre-thinned acrylic lacquer)? My first hunch would be that it's more like GSI Mr Color, also an acrylic lacquer, but otherwise quite different in pigmentation and viscosity. Mr Color is THE go to paint in Japan, more that Tamiya's alcohol based acrylics so it would make sense for T to grab some of GSI's market...

J

6 minutes ago, JeffreyK said:

Interesting, but is there a review somewhere that allows for the conclusion that this paint is similar to MRP (i.e. an ink-like, super fine and pre-thinned acrylic lacquer)?

No.  In fact, I haven't seen anything other than a simple (single) product announcement so far, let alone any hands-on reviews. 

You're right though, it's far more likely to be like Mr.Color.  In fact, I would imagine that it will be chemically almost identical to Tamiya's existing lacquer paints, only thicker and in bottle form.

4 minutes ago, ICMF said:

In fact, I would imagine that it will be chemically almost identical to Tamiya's existing lacquer paints, only thicker and in bottle form.

Yeah that makes alot of sense 👍🏿

All the R&D done then if its their spray cans repackaged, rather than starting a new paint from scratch. 

It’s ok take the current Tamiya acrylic thin with lacquer thinners and spray away. Result a beautiful paint that’s fast drying. The same can be done with GSI acrylics..

I look forward to the new tamiya Lacquers I’ll give em a try for sure.

On 18/10/2017 at 13:42, Mike said:

Seems quite a small initial range :hmmm: Wonder what prompted them to move into lacquers when everyone else seems to be moving away?

You might like to eat your own words!!

http://www.akrealcolors.com/

Looks like AK are moving forwards into  lacquer paints now.

Obviously no good to those who are still piloting a brush.

On 20/10/2017 at 7:31 PM, Plasto said:

It’s ok take the current Tamiya acrylic thin with lacquer thinners and spray away. Result a beautiful paint that’s fast drying. The same can be done with GSI acrylics..

I look forward to the new tamiya Lacquers I’ll give em a try for sure.

I do the same with Tamiya and Mr Hobby. Can't beat cellulose thinners for a smooth finish and a heightened sense of wellbeing :wacko: 

Lacquers are the new acrylics :) 

• Like 1

It’s a paint chemistry thing. I’m not an expert but I think the base pigment etc is a polymer that is where the Acrylic moniker comes from. The solvent this base pigment is suspended in is the lacquer bit.

Acrylic in model paint terms has come to mean a paint that can be thinned and cleaned up with water or an Iso Pro based thinner.

In the paint world that’s not the general discriptor for acrylic..