Bf-109F propellers

Masinissa

I just started working on the 1/48 Eduard Royal Class Bf-109F kit. As many of you already know Eduard has one common sprue that covers all the Bf-109 kits that they offer at this time. 

There are three propellers on sprue frame H, which also is labeled BF109 FGK.

As I was looking at photos of some Bf-109Fs in North Africa and then looking at Eduard's two propellers choices for the F. It looks like there should be an another type of propeller that was used on the F.  It has a rounded tip and slightly broader chord. By the way Eduard offers two aftermarket Brassin propellers and hubs for the F. An Early and Late propeller, however their still not like this one.

See here:

me109-10.jpg

Does anyone have information about this or can you point me to a reference?

I think I may be able to rob a prop from a Hasegawa Bf-109G and use that.

• Like 1

IIRC, the Bf-109F-2z trops and Bf-109F-4z trops had a wider chord VDM prop fitted, which would be broader than the one fitted to the other F variants; don't quote me on this one, but I think it might be the same as the one used on  the late G's. Most likely to take advantage of the GM-1  nitrous oxide  injection system installed on those two tropicalized variants. I think both  also had deeper oil coolers as well. Can somebody help us out on this one?

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling

Hasegawa supply the following options in their 48th scale Me109 kits

Me109F-2 Thin prop

Me109F4 (trop) Thin prop and wide blade prop (the thin Hasegawa prop looks like this one but maybe thinner)

Me109G2 Same wide blade prop as per F4 Trop

Me109G4/6/14 different wide blade prop

Me109 G-10/K-4 Fat paddle blade prop

12 hours ago, 72modeler said:

IIRC, the Bf-109F-2z trops and Bf-109F-4z trops had a wider chord VDM prop fitted, which would be broader than the one fitted to the other F variants; don't quote me on this one, but I think it might be the same as the one used on  the late G's. Most likely to take advantage of the GM-1  nitrous oxide  injection system installed on those two tropicalized variants. I think both  also had deeper oil coolers as well. Can somebody help us out on this one?

Mike

Yes the Bf-109F-4 does have the deeper oil cooler and Eduard has you use this option to build the F-4. I'm sure now that the wider chord prop was fitted, but it was different than the one used on the Bf-109G-6. This wide chord F propeller may also have been used on the Bf-109G-2/4.

Thanks for you help.

10 hours ago, Charlie Hugo said:

Hasegawa supply the following options in their 48th scale Me109 kits

Me109F-2 Thin prop

Me109F4 (trop) Thin prop and wide blade prop (the thin Hasegawa prop looks like this one but maybe thinner)

Me109G2 Same wide blade prop as per F4 Trop

Me109G4/6/14 different wide blade prop

Me109 G-10/K-4 Fat paddle blade prop

Thank you for your help.

I pulled out a Hasegawa Bf-109F-2. The thin prop in the kit looks pretty close in shape to this one in the photo used on the F-4 Trop. I'll go with it.

It also looks like I can use Ultracast's Wide Blade Prop, which was made to fix the Hasegawa G-10/K propeller, on Eduard's soon to be released Bf-109G-10 and later 109K.

I imagine Ultracast/Ouickboost/Eduard will address this with correction/enhancement sets.

Quickee Question about the pic ? The prop blade btm left, is it painted a different colour on the reverse ? Can't recall seeing this before although I'm no luftwaffe expert, maybe it's just shadow ? Anybody like to comment ?

Cheerio

Clive

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, there were 3 types of props used on bf 109 f s(db 601e engined) , early narrow (vdm 9-11207a)  used on f1-2, late  (vdm 9-12010a) used on f3-4. And the prop (vdm 9-12087a) used on the f 4z which was also used on the g1-2, the f-4 had a standard oil cooler, the f-4z had a deeper oil cooler and the same engine as the g-2 with gm-1(dB 601e)

Edited by Niknak
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Niknak said:

the f-4z had a deeper oil cooler and the same engine as the g-2 with gm-1(dB 601n)

erm, it as always been my understanding that all the G series have the DB605 apart from the G-0

the image below covers the difference between F  and G

Art-Messerschmitt-Bf-109G-mark-variants-

10 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

erm, it as always been my understanding that all the G series have the DB605 apart from the G-0

the image below covers the difference between F  and G

Art-Messerschmitt-Bf-109G-mark-variants-

The db 601e was developed in 1941 to the db 605a by refining the cylinder blocks and increasing the displacement and other improvements such as an increase in the maximum allowable rpm to 2800 (as opposed to 2600 in the earlier engines) and gm-1 boost system. The db 601e with gm-1 was used on the bf 109 f-4z

Edited by Niknak