AEC Matador(Marshall?) 6x6 fuel bowser details

general melchett

Hi chaps, does anyone have any images or details of the pump system of the Mk II AEC 0854 version of the 6x6 refueler? I'm modding the venerable Airfix kit into, hopefully, a more accurate Mk II in time for our Bomber Command display at Telford but need details of the rear Stuart Turner pump system, (not the earlier petrol engined Zwicky PTO pump version). While the kit is basically a Mk II 0854 it has 'details' for the later S&P PTO pump system which was designed for AVTUR with the booms and hoses and totally wrong for the version I'm after. I've had a good 'Google' around and taken a few screen grabs from video of the vehicles but can't seem to find anything substantive on this system and wondered if anyone here had anything more.

Cheers

Melchie   

Thanks Jari, I have that image, unfortunately, it's an early Mk 1 with the Zwickey PTO pump system, (the Mk 1 had a different steel cab roof, deeper radiator, spare wheel carrier and autovac tank fitted next to the rad). 

This is the only scanned image I have showing the Stuart-Turner Mk II, while it shows the general arrangement, unfortunately, it's in shadow and the chap is standing right in front of the pump, (how dare he do his job, doesn't he realise there's important modelling to be done here!).

img053_zpsb4xt5ojw.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2017 at 10:50 AM, general melchett said:

the chap is standing right in front of the pump, (how dare he do his job, doesn't he realise there's important modelling to be done here!).

Dare I suggest that in extremis you could model it as a vignette with a figure stood right in front of the pump who might just co-incidentally be obscuring some of the bits that are hard to get an image of...

• Like 1

Dare I suggest that in extremis you could model it as a vignette with a figure stood right in front of the pump who might just co-incidentally be obscuring some of the bits that are hard to get an image of...

Now that, as my fellow philosopher and feathery hat holder private Baldrick would say is a 'cunning plan'. I shall commission a committee to look at the feasibility of 'running it up the flagpole', 'square the circle' or even 'look under the bonnet' of the idea..you might be onto something here Marvel, I'll get my 'man' Darling to look at it right away...

It's straying perilously close to pongo subjects that are "green and strangely brown". 

Ah, Strangely-Brown, didn't he buy it at Gallipoli along with Drippy and Bumfluff? I apologise for the profanity! let me assure you that it's a temporary aberration and once the Telford show is over will quietly be put to bed to never again see the light of day...except of course for regimental dinners and related RAF WWII ground equipment functions... 

8 hours ago, general melchett said:

Ah, Strangely-Brown, didn't he buy it at Gallipoli along with Drippy and Bumfluff? 

The very chaps!  And don't forget Sticky who was out for a duck, and Gubber who snitched a parcel sausage-end and went goose-over-stump frogside.  Brave men, all!

8 hours ago, general melchett said:

I apologise for the profanity! let me assure you that it's a temporary aberration and once the Telford show is over will quietly be put to bed to never again see the light of day...except of course for regimental dinners and related RAF WWII ground equipment functions... 

Delighted to hear it mon General!  My doctor tells me that equilibrium will be restored if I just keep taking the little pink pills.  Personally, I'm far from convinced...I actually suspect he's a spy!

Edited by mhaselden
  • Like 1

I actually suspect he's a spy!

Great Scott!....guard, guard, bolt all the doors, hammer large pieces of crooked wood against all the windows, this security leak is far worse than we'd imagined...oh, and prepare the Cocker Spaniel, potty and flowery baps...we're in for a night of it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi,

Might be too late now but someone else might benefit if not.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I didnt know this was called the Stuart Type ll, there is also the Zwicky with its twin mirror image pumps, same pumps as in the rear of the Brockhouse 450 gallon trailer bowser (doors both ends) and also (as a mirror image of the 450 gallon bowser), the same pump in the Albion AM463 3 boom refueller, ( a la Airfix though they got the hose coming out of the trumpet ends very wrong, pure fiction)

Here is the double Zwicky:-

spacer.png

Merlin

• Like 3