"Stay in Attack Formation"

Here are the Bandai mini kits Tie Advance & Tie Fighter. I have wanted to pose these fighter together as seen in "A New Hope" for some time. I finally finished the base today and took some shots. Also gave me a chance to watch the movie again....for research purposes. 

775646ed-a424-47d4-ac75-f0bc238acdc3.JPG

aa21eefb-2015-4a9d-aa84-280390497e2f.JPG

881a4c9c-59a0-4b24-86d1-c934f4916090.JPG

d3d41c1f-c2af-4f94-a1de-9f71f0145237.JPG

9939315c-23ca-4694-8bbc-eb009f7f1c4a.JPG

f32cf671-9aef-4fb0-98d2-febc3c4841d0.JPG

For the Death Star surface I glued plastic sheet to wooden base. Drew a random pattern, scribed in all the line work, cut up two thicknesses of plastic card and glued them down, added some smaller pieces to the tops of those already down. I then primed the base with Matt Black laquer, airbrushed a mid grey to that panels, then blended in with an overall spray. I then took a light grey and randomly sprayed in panels and the like and finally finished off with a dry brush of the same grey. 

f7059677-683f-49a4-8abd-d3f58efc8371.JPG

dd6cebd8-52d8-4e3a-96e8-51b778f3b8a9.JPG

c8872b70-259b-444a-9425-ae68ae4b5de3.JPG

• Like 23

Great looking group of Tie’s you've got 👍... one doesn't realize the size difference with the wings though until they are next to eachother. Also i find it interesting that G. Lucas would use the old RAF three plane formation, that never worked quite right ?  

• Like 1

A fantastic little trio and an excellent base. What about a photo-backdrop of the Death Star, or just stars, for photographic purposes?

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

On 10/18/2017 at 1:30 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Great looking group of Tie’s you've got 👍... one doesn't realize the size difference with the wings though until they are next to eachother. Also i find it interesting that G. Lucas would use the old RAF three plane formation, that never worked quite right ?  

Didn't work this time either :-)

Excellent diorama esp given the size of those kits.

• Haha 3

yep, that's a 100 percenter of a gorgeous diorama

I appreciate you simplifying the death star surface - too much of the chunky lego looking close up surface detail stuff rather detracts from the displayed models IMHO, so you have got it spot on for my eyes and imagination here - reminds me of the trio as they rise high above the DS surface before they jump down into the trench

beautiful - ILM would probably approve too 

May the Force be with you, always

• Like 1

On 10/18/2017 at 10:30 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Why wouldn't he? Apparently he stole the whole space battle sequence from The Battle of Britain...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rob G said:

Why wouldn't he? Apparently he stole the whole space battle sequence from The Battle of Britain...

633 Squadron and Dambusters are the generally accepted inspirations.

3 minutes ago, Procopius said:

633 Squadron and Dambusters are the generally accepted inspirations.

Hmm, I coulda sworn that it was BoB. <shrug> I knew it was something. (I don't think about SW much any more, completely lost interest after the 4th movie was released.)

Thanks for that Procopius ... Ive seen The original Star wars episode #4 almost 1000 times since 1977. Yes I freely admit Im a Geek. I have seen Dambusters a number of times as well but I’ve never realised they were that close to each other.  I knew he used WW2 footage and documentaries to orchestrate some sequences but never realised it was almost a line by line duplicate. And no it wont stop me from watching the films 👍

11 hours ago, Gimme Shelter said:

yep, that's a 100 percenter of a gorgeous diorama

I appreciate you simplifying the death star surface - too much of the chunky lego looking close up surface detail stuff rather detracts from the displayed models IMHO, so you have got it spot on for my eyes and imagination here - reminds me of the trio as they rise high above the DS surface before they jump down into the trench

beautiful - ILM would probably approve too 

May the Force be with you, always

Thanks for your comments. You nailed it. That was my intention...hence the title. The yflew high over the surface to get to the battle. Cheers.

• Thanks 1