1/48 Zoukei Mura F-4J Phantom II

Lish

Hi All,

So this is about the 5th kit since I started into this wonderful hobby, learning as we go along. Several mistakes in the past 4 kits but hopefully it will improve with age. Got this kit about 2 months ago but was too afraid to mess it up given the costs.

Well here goes with the first part been the amazing cockpit. Still a bit more work to complete and finish off the ejector seats. Building this out of the box with no upgrades. 

Vallejo Black Primer - Primed all parts.

Mr Hobby Aqueous - Cockpit - Dark Sea Grey - H 317

Mr Hobby Aqueous - Buttons/Screen - Red 

Mr Hobby Aqueous - Buttons- Yellow

MR Hobby Aqueous - Dials - White

Humbrol - Black for the cockpit panel detailing

Humbrol - Silver for dry-brushing

Super glue the really small cockpit parts

I thin the Mr Hobby paints with IPA, it works the best in my opinion for Tamiya as well. Humbrol/Vallejo thinned with Ultimate Hobby thinners.

resized_3b4db9b1-3a90-422c-a98b-fc802aa4

resized_72a21be8-a6bb-48ab-bd11-383f8970

resized_344e8ffd-ed31-4bf9-abac-2f44b100

resized_91af105d-611a-4d59-b775-8b0c57c5

Managed to get sometime in between busy working days. 

Installed the cockpit

resized_9681da9c-1654-40c9-bd16-1e170ac5

Started working on the engines using Mr Metal Color Iron. Love how this gives a weathered look after buffing as some of the dust remains.

resized_97fdebae-1361-4cd3-b99c-95ef0d16

resized_e8004263-9f9d-4bbe-86c2-362ceb98

Edited by Lish
More pics
  • Like 11

Looking great for beeing your 5th kit..! I feel the same about messing up expensive kits but.. Take your time and have fun? There is no rush and there is always new kits, even if it means more money.. ;)

Great job so far!

I, too, have this kit and having just returned to the hobby after more than 25 years I'm not quite confident enough to take it on. Good on you for your courage, you've made a great start and I'll be following with interest.

Edited by billn53

10 hours ago, Paramedic said:

Looking great for beeing your 5th kit..! I feel the same about messing up expensive kits but.. Take your time and have fun? There is no rush and there is always new kits, even if it means more money.. ;)

Great job so far!

Thanks,I have quickly realised after 4 messed up kits that you cannot rush anything in this hobby :) So I took a few steps back, did a lot of reading, you tubing and hopefully now started to get the hang of this. It also doesn't help as a beginner to try out challenging kits.

I totally wrecked a Hasegawa F-18 Super Hornet but what I realised was that it was a bit too much for me at the time with my limited skills. 

• Like 2

I haven´t built any Zm-kits but I have the 1732nd P-51D and if the Phantom is anything like it I see what you mean. But just take it step by step, as small assemblings or something, take your time and you will probably be fine. :)

That Hasegawa F-18 I have heard can be tricky? Not the easiest built..? Kinetics seems easier (?) so probably not just your *fault* it got messy. hasegawa often makes their kits modular, so several models and variants can be made from the bits with new parts. Something that often makes the kit harder to build.

This you have done now looks real nice however!

(I am a noob too by the way. ;) )

• Like 1

Many kits today have grown into complex builds as manufacturers try to put more detail into assemblies. For the more experienced builders we underestimate the amount of skill is amassed over time. Always check how the assembly your working on fits into the next.

Everything looks good in your cockpit.

Good luck.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2017 at 4:08 PM, Lish said:

So this is about the 5th kit since I started into this wonderful hobby,

Man oh man ... you are a fast learner!!! I've been doing this "for awhile", and couldn't do any better on a cockpit than what you've shown.

Gene K

Edited by Gene K

17 hours ago, Duncan B said:

Well you seem to have read and understood the chapter on cockpit painting :) great job so far and some very sound advice from the guys above.

Duncan B

I couldn't agree more! :clap:  Outstanding cockpit painting - and the level of detail makes me really want to buy this ZM kit (maybe I'll wait for the F-4C ... :whistle: ) 

Ciao

• Like 2

7 hours ago, giemme said:

I couldn't agree more! :clap:  Outstanding cockpit painting - and the level of detail makes me really want to buy this ZM kit (maybe I'll wait for the F-4C ... :whistle: ) 

Ciao

The C should arrive in the UK next month (that's when I'm expecting mine to arrive). I guess it'll be arriving in the rest of Europe about the same time.

Duncan B

• Like 2

I bet I can get it from the UK quicker and cheaper than here .... (I normally buy modelling stuff from UK web shops, unless I can get what I need from my LHS; shipping charges in Italy are just insane ... :badmood: )

Ciao

• Like 1

Due to Storm Brian, all plans cancelled but didnt seem to affect Surrey too much. Decided to get working on the engines. Mr Metal Color, Chrome Silver, Iron and Dark Iron. Need to do some wash on them and then decide if I want to show case it or not.

resized_6a3b5561-62f9-4310-bb3e-f50f8c05

resized_0ef1f5e9-eb38-4865-90dc-c3e608a4

• Like 3