Help with 1/48 Lightning XR770 and display case

RMP2

Hello you helpful bunch! :)

Its a friend of mines 50th birthday coming up and I was thinking of sorting him with a nice 1/48 Airfix Lightning  (XR770) in its red and grey scheme. He grew up around Binbrook and loves this particular aircraft, its "AA" tailcode also happening to be his initials.

Now, Im familiar with the basic kit and the decals - I have the later boxing of the F2/F6 in the stash with the rather nice decals to sort this, but I have a few questions that you may be able to help me out with seeing as searching is rather fruitless these days since Photobucket decided to do what it did....

At this point in time I am unsure whether canopy opened or closed will be how I will go or even wheels up or down, any thoughts on that would be great.

1. Aftermarket seat & cockpit?

Im not sure I see the point in the whole cockpit, as not a lot will be seen however I go about things, but the Quickboost seat looks rather busy for a non-flying model. Does it fit ok?

2. The Eduard etch pilot access ladder - is it any good? Alternatives?

3. Flying or not, it would need a case really.
What I have seen have been a bit daft price wise. Is there a sensible source for such things? Looking at around 400x350x250mm (LxWxH) really.

4. Fixings for an in-flight model...?
Im intrigued/tempted by the clear perspex rod up the exhausts method, could maybe play with some clear paints through the airbrush too, but fixing them to the case? Ah... a vertical Lightning with a tiny Binbrook printed out on the base perhaps?
Any ideas or photos of things posed in such a way would be a great help.

5. Nearly forgot - The red tail etc - I tend to use and like Humbrol enamel. The instructions call out Hu60 Matt Scarlett, is that a good plan? I dont have any here to play with to check.

Oh. I have 2 weeks maximum.... please help me guys!

Edited by RMP2

27 minutes ago, F111Fan said:

I can't help with most of those, but the vertical over Binbrook idea is excellent, that'd look brilliant if you pose it right!

Cheers. Im struggling to find a good aerial shot of Binbrook though. Google maps is too recent and its all gone these days... :(
Leaning more towards wheels down, canopy up, steps and maybe an Oxygen cart and a pilot climbing the ladders.. might change my mind tomorrow though.

Ive ordered the QB seat and the ladders anyway as this wont be my last 48th Lightning, regardless... :)

9 minutes ago, Steve Coombs said:

The Model Alliance decal sheet instructions for XR770 call for Humbrol 153 Insignia Red, if that helps.

Cheers, Steve. Ive ordered the Hu60 tonight, will have a play with that, see how it looks. Alternatives and options are always good. :)

Oh, the scheme thats preferred is with just the red tail, not the spine and wings. So am gathering photos for reference.
If anyone has any theyd like to share, Id appreciate it and love to see them myself.

xr770gal.jpg

The above reminds me of that clever chap who made a great brake chute - anyone else remember it and did he ever give away how he had made it as that would look great in a case!

Reference the whole Photobucket thing - there are extension out there to fix it, certainly for Chrome anyway. Just Google Photobucket fix and you should find it, once added you will be able to see all the Photobucket linked photos again.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Tbolt said:

Reference the whole Photobucket thing - there are extension out there to fix it, certainly for Chrome anyway. Just Google Photobucket fix and you should find it, once added you will be able to see all the Photobucket linked photos again.

Thanks for that, much appreciated. Found an Add-On for Firefox that works just fine. I had got so despondent with the whole thing I didnt think to look for such a fix or check the threads. Made my day it has! :) 

• Like 1

Hello!  

I have this boxing also and will not be making that aircraft so if you need any spare decals or make a mistake with any then drop me a line.

2 hours ago, At Sea said:

Hello!  

I have this boxing also and will not be making that aircraft so if you need any spare decals or make a mistake with any then drop me a line.

Hi! Very good of you, kind sir, but I have a spare set of decals here already. What could possibly go wrong...? But thanks for the offer. :)

To answer one of my own questions - the QB resin seat doesnt fit in the kit cockpit. Its too wide and "long". Height looks about the same as the kit seat though, so thats something, or would be if it would go in there!

Eduards PE access ladder landed today too, but yet to touch that.

That's interesting.  I also have the QB seat so any tips you have for how to butcher it into fitting I'd appreciate.

The thing with Lightnings is they look (to my eyes) so gawky on their under cart and the pilot is so well moulded that it's a shame not to build it with the chap in the seat.

I'm going for the acrylic-rod-up-the-pipes with my next one.  WOOOOSSHH!

Just some shaving of the cockpit walls got it in. Little drama with the soft plastic n all.

I know what you mean re the silly legs and Im still in two minds how to do this one for my mate and I have the acrylic rod here..... I really need to find a clear case for it too that doesnt cost stoopid money.

Well, its definitely going airborne - no nose weight went in and its buttoned up now. Record speed build so far for me!

Thinking of using some thick (35mm) wood that my brother has to make a sort of "L" shape from and stand the old girl up on the "bottom" of the "L" and have the option of hanging it all on a wall either vertically or horizontally (will keyhole the back to suit either way).

Will investigate custom display cases as an add-on for a later date. I need this all completely finished for Friday, 8pm.... :frantic:

Or.... how about using a floating shelf fixing and having the Lightning on a flush turntable of sorts? So that it can be turned as my mate fancies? Im quite liking that. Would require 2 pieces of wood to allow for the turny roundy bit which would also work to leave a ledge for a case/cover if the lower piece of wood is a little larger.... I need to sketch this out.

6 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

🤔 Not to big a challenge ... A Lightning build & a display build and all by Friday at 8:00 pm .... 👍 Go For It 

Well Ive found time for a beer. :)
Less than 24 hours in and the fuselage is together, wings are built and if I can get some primer down tonight Ill be a happy bunny.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, At Sea said:

As fast as the subject matter! ;):yes:

Lets not get ahead of ourselves!
Maybe a build thread is in order.....?