New paint ranges coming soon from Mr Paint and Tamiya

Robert

From Tamiya new lacquer paints in 10ml bottles https://tamiyablog.com/2017/10/the-long-awaited-new-product-tamiya-color-lacquer-paint-in-bottles-appears/ and from Mr Paint a new range of water based acrylics  http://mrpaint.sk/farby/Aqua colors . The Mr Paint ones look interesting for me as they are not smelly like lacquer based paints.

Robert

• Like 1

Looking forward to these as the current Tamiya paints sold here in the states stinks. The dry out, seperate, and Crystalize within 4-6 months. Not sure if i can find the Mr.Paints locally online yes but not sure locally.

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
Added

6 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Looking forward to these as the current Tamiya paints sold here in the states stinks. The dry out, seperate, and Crystalize within 4-6 months. Not sure if i can find the Mr.Paints locally online yes but not sure locally.

Weird! I have a bottle of Tamiya gunmetal that's 30 years old and still good.

• Like 1

The old stuff from 30 years ago is good stuff. Some point near as i can figure in the later 90’s or early 2000’s they changed formula’s to a low VOC formula and it dries super fast and once i open a bottle it only lasts about 4-6 months before it goes off. Im real careful not to get any kind of thinner or any other contaminants in the bottles and they still go bad.  Im so fed up with Tamiya that I've been converting from them. Ive been converting to Vallejo, Ammo and other eye dropper paints. The worst is i pay $6.95 for 10ml of Tamiya and between $3-$4 for the others which are 17ml. So its insult to injury. 

I was hoping the new Tamiya paint range referred to colours, not lacquer. I've been trying to minimize my lacquer usage and from what I can tell so far, we're not talking about new colours so I probably will never bother with them. Kind of too bad, really. I would like to see Tamiya put their efforts into more exacting military colours, not more toxic paint.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

The old stuff from 30 years ago is good stuff. Some point near as i can figure in the later 90’s or early 2000’s they changed formula’s to a low VOC formula and it dries super fast and once i open a bottle it only lasts about 4-6 months before it goes off. Im real careful not to get any kind of thinner or any other contaminants in the bottles and they still go bad.  Im so fed up with Tamiya that I've been converting from them. Ive been converting to Vallejo, Ammo and other eye dropper paints. The worst is i pay $6.95 for 10ml of Tamiya and between $3-$4 for the others which are 17ml. So its insult to injury. 

This hasn't been my experience as far as longevity goes. And $6.95 US for Tamiya? Wow. I pay about $3.50 Canadian for mine.

• Like 1

Thats the avg. it goes for 7.95 in one store and 6.50 in another. Most shops and there are only a few in the chicagoland area. Most shops are in Cook county or chicago proper. Tax in cook county is almost 11% so that really doesnt help either. 

On 18/10/2017 at 01:55, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

once i open a bottle it only lasts about 4-6 months before it goes off.

Not my experience either. I've only been back in the hobby 2½ years and I was using one of my original paints yesterday and it was as good as a new pot. They cost me £1.80 (about $2.38) and the Value Added Tax in the UK is 20%, so I suspect that the local retailers are pushing the price up rather than Tamiya.

I was also hoping for more colours.

• Like 1

I’ve suspected your correct about the price gouging. One of the reasons im not buying Tamiya paints. The other being my issues with there failure for me.

In all fairness to Tamiya I seem to be the only person having this Issue. Which suggests its something i am doing. I had the problem and wasn't sure if i did anything to corrupt the paint  either thinner or something else in the paint. I bought a few more bottles and have since never put paint that was mixed with anything back in the jars. I never touch thinner & then dip into the bottle. I always pour a little into a cup and mix or thin seperate from the jar. Then dispose of. I wont attempt to airbrush it due to these issues either. Which is a plus as i dont have to construct colors per Tamiya instructions.

After all of the precautions it happened again after 4-6 months of opening the bottle they started seperating and then crystalizing again. Im convinced its the formulation and not my doing. But like i said have not found anyone else with this issue ?

If anyone has more than one Generation of Tamiya paint. Say a 20-30 yr. old bottle and a new one and can read Japanese. I’d be interested to see if it says anything on the labels indicating a formulation change ?  

Additional

Tamiya aren't the only ones to be releasing a range of lacquer paints. AK are doing their own acrylic lacquers with some well known names attached to the project.

So now we've got Gunze, Tamiya. MRP, Hataka and AK all doing lacquers. I guess it won't be long until AMMO join the party.

Andy:cat:

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, AndyRM101 said:

I guess it won't be long until AMMO join the party.

Andy:cat:

Didn't know invitations where printed and sent out! 

Kinda curious as to why they're all going for lacquers over normal acrylic. 

I mean you could only safely spray it outside or with an extractor. Yeah, normal paint you shouldn't really spray without some kind of extraction but, I imagine its not quite as risky as doing it with a lacquer based paint if you're just using a fume filter mask.

That AK range does look pretty good. Wish they had added in an armoured glass clear colour, though, so I wouldn't have to go for a big bottle of Alclad. But it is nice to see they're attempting to get some harder colours premixed. Remains to be seen how spot on they are, though.

Do wish Tamiya would expand their colour range a bit more. Wonder when they last time they actually did that was.

Gaz

Edited by GazB
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, GazB said:

Kinda curious as to why they're all going for lacquers over normal acrylic. 

I mean you could only safely spray it outside or with an extractor. Yeah, normal paint you shouldn't really spray without some kind of extraction but, I imagine its not quite as risky as doing it with a lacquer based paint if you're just using a fume filter mask.

Very true, they do smell a lot more than regular water/alcohol type acrylics. I personally wouldn't use them indoors without an extractor, as they will smell the house out. However, they do spray beautifully. None of that drying in the tip, spitting and clogging of the airbrush that I tend to get with acrylics. They dry quickly, polish up nicely, in the case of the gloss finishes and give a very tough finish that doesn't rub off easily. I'm talking about Mr Color paints here. I imagine the Tamiya ones to be similar in use. I think a lot of people struggle when they first take up airbrushing due to using the wrong paints and it puts them off for life. I've never had any issues spraying with lacquer paints they really are easy to spray..

Edited by Steve Noble
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Noble said:

Very true, they do smell a lot more than regular water/alcohol type acrylics. I personally wouldn't use them indoors without an extractor, as they will smell the house out. However, they do spray beautifully. None of that drying in the tip, spitting and clogging of the airbrush that I tend to get with acrylics. They dry quickly, polish up nicely, in the case of the gloss finishes and give a very tough finish that doesn't rub off easily. I'm talking about Mr Color paints here. I imagine the Tamiya ones to be similar in use. I think a lot of people struggle when they first take up airbrushing due to using the wrong paints and it puts them off for life. I've never had any issues spraying with lacquer paints they really are easy to spray..

To date the two paints I have had trouble spraying with are Revell Aqua (clogged like mad) and Vallejo (had a permanent smell, poor coverage etc).

Gaz

1 hour ago, GazB said:

To date the two paints I have had trouble spraying with are Revell Aqua (clogged like mad) and Vallejo (had a permanent smell, poor coverage etc).

Gaz

I tried the Revell Aqua paints and just couldn't get on with them. I had the same issue as yourself, clogging the airbrush constantly. Gave up on them. I like the Vallejo Model Colour, but I use that very rarely when I need to hand brush. I find they do that very well. The Vallejo Model Air I used to use a lot. But once I started using Mr Color paints I pretty much ditched it. 

Mostly now I use Mr Color, Tamiya TS sprays either from the aerosol or decanted, Alclad for metals, clear colours etc and some Zero paints. I use very few acrylics or enamels anymore if at all..

On 10/22/2017 at 3:51 PM, Steve Noble said:

I tried the Revell Aqua paints and just couldn't get on with them. I had the same issue as yourself, clogging the airbrush constantly. Gave up on them. I like the Vallejo Model Colour, but I use that very rarely when I need to hand brush. I find they do that very well. The Vallejo Model Air I used to use a lot. But once I started using Mr Color paints I pretty much ditched it. 

Mostly now I use Mr Color, Tamiya TS sprays either from the aerosol or decanted, Alclad for metals, clear colours etc and some Zero paints. I use very few acrylics or enamels anymore if at all..

I'll use Tamiya Acrylics and Mr Hobby Aqueous currently, as they've been the easiest for me to use with good coverage and qualities. I did use the Vallejo Metal Colour ones, and the seem to be the only Vallejo I have that work easily. Got burned a but once trying to purchase Vallejo colours to paint ACU camouflage (following what everyone said was a great guide to it) only to discover the colours were nothing like what the maker had shown or mentioned. So I kinda got stuck with them, lol. One thing I didn't like about the dropper bottles is brush painting was a pain with them since I needed something to hold the paint.

Gaz