Patton Tank Grp. Build is up & running.

Corsairfoxfouruncle

Hello everybody just reminding you that Group build voting is going on right now. I would also suggest you take a look at the group builds looking for sign ups. If your interested in this particular group build please take a look at the Patton STGB. It covers 72 years of armor and every variant of the Patton Tank’s. We only need one more and we are in. 

Hello armor builders. Just letting you know that its group build voting time. While you are there voting if your interested in Patton Tanks or any of the derivatives, please check it out we only need one more personto sign up and we are in as a STGB. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

On 11/6/2017 at 4:08 PM, Ozzy said:

Come on 1 to go, let's get  3 armour STGB in 2019.

Hello everyone im going to quote Ozzy. I’ll add to that and ask if anyone knows of armor builders that are into cold war armor. Im hoping there might be someone who hasn't seen this so if you know anyone pass the word on please

Dennis

• Like 1

Just a new update people we are at 24 and only need another sign up to get in. This will happen in 2019 plenty of time to figure out what version you want to build. Also plenty of time to gather things together for your build. I’d really like to see some of you explore the Group build idea and make some interesting versions of these Tanks.  

This covers any scale and whatever level of detail you're comfortable with. From Bone stock to a super modified Israeli Magach M48/60 or perhaps the Iranian M47 Sabalan. There is also the Armored recovery types such as the M88, and the German Remotely operated engineering M48’s. Then you could explore the Super Heavy M103 or the protypes T29/30/34 that led up to it. 

Hope you decide to check it out and im looking forward to seeing you there. Please find me if you have any questions ?

Dennis

Hello one .. Hello all just thought i would do some cheer leading for this Group Build. It covers the years from 1945 to Present. This covers any scale and version of the Patton chassis. So when we get the magic #25 im told it will be in 2019. That gives you plenty of time to decide your subject. Gather any info, kit(s), or aftermarket together.

To give you a quick view of some of the kits available we can start with a Tamiya M26/46.

L7nNWrR.jpg

Then next we can see an M47 one of the new kits from Takom, I think this is the one I will be going for

QYvC0VH.jpg

Next up we have an M48a3 from Tamiya which would make a good Vietnam era subject. You could use sandbag armour, extra stowage and use a M60 machinegun to change up the look.

npC67I3.jpg

Then again you might consider the M88 Armoured recovery vehicle thats been used since Vietnam. This lit from AFV is a good example

WFEse5R.jpg

If your thing is later cold war or Israeli tanks you could do an M60 or a Magach. Here is an kit from Dragon of an M60 

347188F.jpg

and on in 1/72nd from Revell.

LaMaFck.jpg

You also might consider the heavy tanks like the M103 or the various prototypes that preceded it. Vehicles like the T29/30/34. Those are all options and available in kit form. If you are interested but not sure thats great. Again if you want you can always check out the link in the original post to the Group build. Please feel free to reach out to me if you have questions or the Co-host Plasto. 

Thanks 

Dennis

* any photographs used are strictly information use. All rights belong to original owners.

Hey fellow Members ...

Im here to do some more cheerleading. Heres an example of the M103 made by Dragon from there Black Label serie

s. sOHFhRI.jpg

These were based off of the M26/46 series. Now if you are interested in trying your hand at scratchbuilding or modifying. You could purcase an M47 from Takom and turn it into the Iranian Sabalan tank. They look like this

AGQUhnD.jpg

For those members that fancy something more world war two’ish you could look for Revells out of production Kananonjagdpanzer. They look like this. Probably at swap meets or on evilbay.

c4EJ3eg.jpg

Somewhat reminiscent of the Stug’s and JagdPanzers if you ask me. The Germans Recycled 850 M47’s to make these. 770 stayed in germany and 80 went to Belgium. 

Im hoping to see some members take a look and maybe join us. We only need 1 more to make it in. When we do this build will take place in 2019. That will give you plenty of time to gather Info, Kits, and Aftermarket goodies together. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me and ask or the co-host Plasto. 

Have a great day

Dennis

* any photographs used are strictly information use. All rights belong to original owners.
  • Like 1

Hello Fellow members,

Some more info for you since this build will happen the dates are march 30th 2019 through June 30th 2019. That will give you plenty of time to gather a kit, info, and Aftermarket goodies for this. This build starts in 1945 and if you were interested in it you might consider the M26 Pershing. Tamiya makes this one.

L7nNWrR.jpg

Yes its a Patton tank build not a Pershing build, but did you know that 1,160 of the Pershings were rebuilt/upgraded to M46 & M46a1 Pattons ? If you consider an M46 you could make the appropriate mods or maybe use this kit from Dragon. eRSi04K.jpg

If you opt to go this route you might have a companion for Sherman tank if you have joined/build this New Tamiya kit for the M3/M4 group build.

VcI6NOb.jpg

Ok WW2 & Korea not your interest maybe its Cold war types. Maybe you want a patton to stand against a T55. The T55 your thinking of building for the group build. You could try your hand with one of Takoms releases of an M47 Patton, Like this one.

QYvC0VH.jpg

Or the other Takom kit.

56hrMtT.jpg

You could go for one of the many nations that used the M47 Patton. That gives you plenty of opportunity for many varied markings and Camouflage choices. 

Enough for today, i will go over the M48 in my next post. Have a great modeling day. Please contact me or the co-host Plasto, if you have any questions. 

Dennis 

• Like 1

@badger  You have plenty of time to decide and gather materials. If i can help let me know. Also if you could go down to the Group build area and  sign in officially would be much appreciated. Just post a message saying you are in. 

Thank you

HEY EVERYONE THANKS FOR SHOWING THE INTEREST WE ARE FINALLY IN. THE DATES ARE 30 MARCH 2019 - 30 JUNE 2019. Plenty of time to still sign up. I would like to add there is still a T-55 STGB that needs some sign ups as well if you want a companion for your Patton theres an option. 

Dennis

Hello Fellow members ... so I thought i would continue this even though we are in. I want to help anyone not sure or someone that might be new to armor. So my last installment was on the M26/46 & M47 early Patton’s. We can move up to the M48 & see some off the things that are out there. 

Lets start it off with Tamiyas M48a3.

npC67I3.jpg

From this you could go with a nice easy build, or you could do some add-ons like these from Legend. I dont get any benefit by mentioning Legend. Im just using it to show options.

4Xy0JDE.jpg

Combine the two to get something like this M48 from Vietnam

.wVPEWv8.jpg 

You could go with these options from legend of stowage and reactive armor. Doing so will get you an late M48 Magach 3 from the Israeli Defence forces.

bX21NFH.jpg3dj3mQJ.jpg

If neither options work for you you could try an AVLB folding bridge on the M48 Chassis. Heres a photo of a German example.

NId9R3r.jpg

You could do an M728 Engineering vehicle as shown in this AFV Club model conversion and it will look like this.

Tj2JofV.jpg

these are just some of the options with M48’s.

I will go over M60’s and some options in my next post. Were always looking for more members so if you decide you would like to join please follow the link in the opening post and ask me to add your name. To be fair if you want to  join the T55 STGB they're looking for recruits. This way you can add a Companion/Target on the shelf next to your Patton. Have a great modeling day.

Dennis

• Like 1

Hello Fellow members ... so I thought i would continue this even though we are in. I want to help anyone not sure or someone that might be new to armor. So my last installment was on the M26/46 & M47 early and the M48 mid Patton’s. So lets move onto the late Pattons, the M60. We can start with the M60a1 example in this kit from  dragon.

347188F.jpg

Heres an Academy M60a2 Starship. Tamiya also makes one of these.

uL9JNyv.jpg

Here we have an example from Dragon of an early IDF M60 with reactive armor. 

NkFj3PE.jpg

Or you have an option of a USMC M60 with Blazer armor like this one from Tamiya.

1fOA6xw.jpg

Now you can upgrade the kits above with something like this Stowage set by Legend. nImX7c4.jpg

If your into Israeli armor you could do a late M60 Magach 6 like this one from i believe Academy. 

UySQYJL.jpg

Some other options if you like to do different looking things. You could try something like this M60 with a mine roller from Academy

.I97onnv.jpg

I know there are aftermarket kits for these mine plows for M1 Abrams. But they were also used on M60’s in Desert storm. Heres a photo to give you an idea. 

iZWawHl.jpg

There you have it a quick idea of whats possible with the Late model M60 series Pattons. Next up i will run through the offshoot Heavy tanks like the M103 and also some other variants of pattons. If your interested but not sure or have questions ask me or the co-host Plasto. I hope to see you soon and have a great modeling day. 

Dennis

• Like 1

Hello fellow members and the viewing community at large. I’ve gone over the 4 major generations of the Patton tank up to now. Next up lets look at some options for Derivatives and cousins. We can start with the M26/46 Prototype engineering vehicle. It was known as the T39 heres a photo i found of the prototype.

Mvk6FUY.jpg

M6 dozer blade as seen on this photo of an M47.

XqHsSWQ.jpg

Later generations of the Patton would use the M9 Dozer blade.  Next up we can see an M88 Armored Recovery Vehicle as this example from AFV

WFEse5R.jpg

If heavy tanks interest you there is always the M103 which is a derivative of the M48. Here is an example from Dragons Black Label series

sOHFhRI.jpg

The USMC had an Armored recovery vehicle the M51 very similar to the M88 above but based on the M103 chassis. Heres an example in photo form.

rbhuL7B.jpg

So that covers armored recovery and heavy Tank versions. In my next installment i will cover some of the various heavily upgraded and modified versions. We are always looking for more recruits so please consider joining us. Please contact myself or the co-host if you have questions? Have a great modeling day. 

Dennis

** - there is a T55 STGB that needs recruits as well. That way if the Patton build interests you, consider joining that build as well. You will have a Companion/Target for your Patton.
  • Like 1

That's a very interesting series of posts there Corsair, thanks :)

I'm glad to see you got the new Tamiya M4A3E8 Korean Devil Sherman kit (box includes a GAZ Jeep kit too!), there's a reasonable OOTB* step by step build here + images of all the sprues for anyone fancying building it for the M3/M4 GB:

https://youtu.be/IZyWmQrT0Nk

* Watching it again, I've just seen that he does use a PE upgrade for the .50 CAL; I think it's the RB Models kit that he uses.

Edited by Julien
please dont embed videos like this
  • Like 1

Hello all My next installment for those new to armor. Maybe those thinking about joining Britmodeller to do armor ? Today lets look at foreign variants of the Pattons. We can start with a couple based on The early/mid M47. This first is an upgraded M47 from Academy/Italeri showing a korean marine tank

1NqLLZ4.jpg

Next up we have a photo showing an Iranian M47 Sabalan that is heavily modified and upgraded. 

AGQUhnD.jpg

So far I can not find a kit or a conversion set. However if your brave you could attempt to scratchbuild it.

Next up is an German M47 KanonenJagdPanzer

.c4EJ3eg.jpg

The Germans recycled 850 M47’s they used 770 and sold 80 to the Belgian army. 

Ok lets look at some later foreign variants starting with the M48. Heres an example from Takom of an M48 CM11 Brave Tiger from the Taiwanese army. 

6fluUMI.jpg

Lets look at an attempt by the U.S. to Recycle M48 Tanks. In the late 1970’s or early 1980’s the U.S.Military needed a replacement for the M42 Duster anti-aircraft armor. The initial attempt was the M247 Sgt.York as shown in this example by Tamiya.

EuOpwSL.jpg

We've covered the Magachs of Israel but the Israeli’s modified turkish M60’s into a similar upgrade. The Turkish Army operates the Sabra that is very similar. We have a photo of this Sabra to look at.

vsPbB4H.jpg

This another i have not found a kit or conversion but someone might be brave to scratchbuild one. 

So thats enough for this instalment. Im hoping someone finds inspiration from this. Maybe even considers joining the Patton group build. If you have any questions please reach out and myself or the co-host will try to answer. Please have a great modelling day. 

Dennis 

* Watching it again, I've just seen that he does use a PE upgrade for the .50 CAL; I think it's the RB Models kit that he uses.

Thinking about entering with a Academy Magach 6 or 7...or a Takom RoC Brave Tiger kit once released..

With regards to the Sabra's I did find a conversion set...I have no idea as to its quality,and am hesitant to lay down nearly 60Euro's on a unkown set.

http://www.mrmodellbau.com/_shop/product_info.php?products_id=114&MODsid=05f825084c0e1756608fee05821e04d2

• Thanks 1

@mungo1974 There is always room for more recruits. Take your time and decide we are in so there is no pressure. Im a fan of the Magachs but a Brave Tiger would be nice to see. I think someone else was considering one as well. The dates are here and in the Group build section. Thanks for the link im just getting back into armor and still learning the ropes of online hobby shopping. 

Dennis

Hello Fellow modelers ... Im Just making a friendly reminder that we are always looking for more recruits in this Group Build. There are quite a large number of Group builds coming up in the next year so please take a look and if you like armor there are 4 Group Builds in the future category. There is an Armor GB in the hopeful category. The T55 is the one that is still hoping to make it in. If interested check them out. Please have a great modeling day. 

Dennis 

On 10/21/2017 at 7:22 PM, AgentG said:

I have an M 47 lying dormant. I'll have a go.

G

What scale? Isn't it the 1/72 Polistil one I'm looking for?

Cheers

Michael

On 11/22/2017 at 11:49 PM, badger said:

Just seen this and put me down for it - plenty of 1/72 M48s and M60s in the stash!

Plenty of M60s? Sounds interesting...

I'm looking for the "desertized" Revell #03168 M60A1 ERA - don't you have too much of them?

Cheers

Michael

1 hour ago, KRK4m said:

Plenty of M60s? Sounds interesting...

I'm looking for the "desertized" Revell #03168 M60A1 ERA - don't you have too much of them?

Cheers

Michael

Sadly not - took me about 3 years to find one at a reasonable price.

I have two - one to build out of the box as a gulf war one and the other is missing the era armour so is getting built as an earlier version before era was added.

They do crop up on ebay from time to time.

All the best

Ben

• Like 1