Wellington x 2,....a B.Mk.X & a GR.Mk.XIV!..FINISHED

tonyot

Hi Tony,

just like you I am a sucker for desert schemes, hence I am loving your thread so far.

Funny how things work, earlier today I was rummaging through my spares box and I found the radar chin of the same Wellington, which I built decades ago. Its remains are some 6000 miles away, but the chin and a few other left overs are in the deepest Africa! And the plastic was a kind of light chocolate brown. Yeuk!

Congrats for tackling two Wimpies.

JR

• Like 2

Another quick update,..... I`ve painted the GR.XIV,..... I went for a faded looking EDSG as it was based in the Med,... but not sure now whether I should have gone darker? Might paint the engine nacelles darker as these were metal?; 

DSCF1619

I also used a pair of Aeroclub white metal replacement air intakes.

Just need to find some suitable decals now,....

Cheers

Tony

Edit,....meant to say,....I`m trying to use a left over Airfix Lancaster rear turret.

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 4

First,..... I`ve changed the EDSG on the GR.XIV using an old tin of Humbrol,.... forgotten how much the old enamels smell!

DSCF1640

I`ve added a few facric patches too using Humbrol 70 Brick Red.

Next,.....I`ve finished the Wimpey B.Mk.X!!;

DSCF1621

DSCF1625

DSCF1622

DSCF1624

DSCF1628

DSCF1631

Cheers,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 15

59 minutes ago, Franz75 said:

Nice work. But why rear window has black tape?

Cheers,......

.................For some reason the waist windows had the frame lines covered externally too using the colour of the external fuselage,......unlike the forward windows which were not and were only the internal framework showing through the clear perspex,.....I only go with what I see in reference photos;

8662774565_295a3f0b6b_o.jpg

Related image

Image result for wellington xiv

Related image

Related image

To be honest the forward windows were probably covered over on this B.Mk.X but it is hard to cover them on the model so having had a try with tape,..... I elected to just stick with the kit!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 4

On ‎18‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:41 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

Good to see you Tony,

One thing that we can be sure of - this Welly will be built well, with a high level of accuracy, attention to detail and by most standards - bloody fast!!

Looking forward to seeing this one take shape. It's a kit I have on my ever growing Matchbox wishlist.  

Cheers Dave.

Just re-reading this thread and noticed my earlier post - yet again, I think you've delivered on queue Tony!! - very well done.

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tonyot said:

.................For some reason the waist windows had the frame lines covered externally too using the colour of the external fuselage,......unlike the forward windows which were not and were only the internal framework showing through the clear perspex,.....I only go with what I see in reference photos;

Thanks, I have learned something new. 

• Like 1

Hiya Folks,

A bit more progress on the GR.XIV,..... I`ve added the nose glazing and also cobbled a tail turret together from bits left over from an Airfix Lancaster and spares box items,...... it is now ready for the decals;

DSCF1642

BUT,..... I wasn`t happy with the B.M.X ,.... so as I could not find a photo of a Mk.X with windows in the mid fuselage, but some which obviously had them blanked over,....I blanked them with some painted sticky backed paper, added a framework to the the waist windows and also found a pitot in the spares box to add to the bottom o the right wing.

DSCF1655DSCF1646DSCF1644DSCF1645DSCF1643DSCF1651DSCF1649

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 12

Hiya Folks,......well I`ve got the decals onto the Wimpey GR.Mk.XIV,..... THE Xtradecal C Type upper wing roundels were something of a disappointment to say the least,.....out of register and with a huge white outline which will need to be trimmed away;

DSCF1658

It might look a bit rough now,.....but it should improve!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Cheers rafalbert,

Glad you like it mate,...... the desert bomber scheme does look smart,.....I have a Halifax planned in this scheme too!

A bit more of an update,...... I`ve applied some matt varnish and started to add some weathering, starting with a watercolour wash;

DSCF1663

I`ve done a lot more overnight and will post some more pics in the morning,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 4

Great update Tony and looks like you’ve managed a good recovery with those upper wing C type roundels. Another interesting, yet surprising colour scheme that is a little off-beat but enough to attract the viewer for a second look. 

Cheers.. Dave. 

• Like 1

Thanks Dave,

Well I think I`m calling the second Wimpey done too,.....here is my Wellington GR.Mk.XIV from what I belive to be 78 OTU, Ein Shemer, Palestine, during the late war period. It was brush painted using a mixture of enamels and acrylics, the tail turret was cobbled together from some Airfix Lancaster parts and items from the spares box, the wheels and propellers are from a Trumpeter Wellington and the nose glazing had the panel lines sanded off and it was then re polished. The cockpit interior also came from an old Matchbox Halifax kit,....but enough of that,....here it is;

DSCF1682DSCF1680DSCF1667DSCF1669DSCF1673DSCF1677DSCF1668

The Coastal Command style white and Extra Dark Sea Grey colour scheme was modified by overpainting the white with black,..... but the white paint could be seen around the engine panels and cooling gills where the black chipped away, here is the real aircraft again;

DSCF1578

Cheers for the encouragement everybody and all the best,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 11

1 minute ago, modelling minion said:

Very, very well done on both builds Tony, they are both very much up to your usual very high standards, and both in interesting schemes.

Craig.

Cheers Craig,.....nice of you to say so thanks,...... getting my mojo back too, which is always a plus!

All the best

Tony

• Like 1