Wellington x 2,....a B.Mk.X & a GR.Mk.XIV!..FINISHED

tonyot

I just wanted to say that I like what you are doing here with this kit, the desert scheme and use of spares and so on. 

I was thinking of building one of these myself in the Coastal Command scheme from the Revell kit in my stash. I am however a little put off by the engine cowlings the shape of which appear to be tapered. I could have used my old MPM Wellington engine cowlings, but they are already on my Matchbox Beaufighter.

Am I correct about the shape of the cowlings?

• Like 1

Hiya Folks,

Well out of hospital and I wouldn`t wish THAT experience on anybody,..... apart from a certain Sergeant Major and a Corporal from my Army days,.... although it is looking to be quite a regular event!!!

I`m, a bit sore,.... but got back into a bit of light modelling this afternoon by masking it ready to apply the black painted undersides,.....

DSCF1576

The bomb aimers panel isn`t very accurate as the centre part extends further forward than the sides,.....as seen here;

Image result for wellington x engine cowling

I`ve masked it accordingly,...... then I dropped the bloody fuselage onto a stone floor and the glazing shot off,....I have not found it yet and I`m too sore to scrabble around on the floor LOL! Time to check the spares,.....plus look for some old Wellesley canopies while I`m at it for the other model!

Thumper- I agree,.... the cowlings do seem to taper,..... but I`ve decided to live with them, here is the real thing;

Related image

Cheers

Tony     

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 7

I don't know what they did to you and I don't want to know (if it's something you'd only wish on an old 'enemy', it can't have been very pleasant). I am glad though, to see you back at it the modelling, and the camouflage on Wellington looks very nice indeed.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Beard said:

I don't know what they did to you and I don't want to know (if it's something you'd only wish on an old 'enemy', it can't have been very pleasant). I am glad though, to see you back at it the modelling, and the camouflage on Wellington looks very nice indeed.

Cheers Beard,

I had to stay awake and it felt like they were nailing me to the operating table via my spinal column!! Broke out into a bit of a sweat but I qualified for my brave boy sticker!!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, tonyot said:

I had to stay awake and it felt like they were nailing me to the operating table via my spinal column!! Broke out into a bit of a sweat but I qualified for my brave boy sticker!!

The 'like' was for the humour, not the medical procedure.

• Haha 1

Well....... I still cannot find the bomb aimers glazing,...... but not to worry,........ because,........ I have another kit in the stash and have decided to build that one here as a GR.Mk.XIV,..... because,....... I FOUND THE PHOTO OF THE BLACK ONE!! Here it is;

DSCF1578

Wellington GR.Mk.XIV, HF237, number `88' from an OTU (I have to check it out yet) flying from Ein Shemer during the second half of WW2!

So that makes two Matchbox Wimpeys are on the go now!! 

Cheers for now,

Tony

• Like 6

Wow!! - two Wimpy’s and a Wellesley... Sir Barnes would be most impressed!! 

Cheers Tony and glad to hear that you’ve checked out from another visit to ‘Club Pain’.. 

Dave

• Like 1

Hiya Folks,....

Well the Wimpey B.Mk.X is now painted,......although some touch up work is still needed;

DSCF1579DSCF1580

Some updates on the other model will follow,

Cheers,

Tony 

• Like 10

Here is the second Wimpey,.....the black painted (with EDSG uppers) GR. Mk. XIV,......

First thing was to add a floor to the otherwise open nose section, using a piece of pre painted plastic card;

DSCF1588_NEW

In order to provide another cockpit, once again I turned to another scrapped Matchbox Halifax;

DSCF1592_NEW

And the wings and tailplane have been assembled;

DSCF1590_NEW

So I`ll be concentrating on the interior of the fuselage next,....

Cheers for now,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 6

Cheers Glynn,

Well I`ve painted the interior of the Wimpey GR.Mk.XIV black, along with the ex Halifax cockpit and have used a silver marker to loosely represent some of the geodetic framework around the cockpit and nose;

DSCF1605

I`ll tidy it up a bit tomorrow when the light is better as I was struggling a bit by this stage with my eyes,...getting old! 

Cheers

Tony

• Like 11

Cheers Stew,...... yeah the op seems to be helping a little,...... just hope it lasts eh! At least I`m getting my mojo back anyway! 

Here is an update on the GR.Mk.XIV,......

The fuselage is together and I`ve sanded the nose and pilots canopies,.... I`ve also included another nose glazing to show the kits original frame lines, most of which need to be removed for my aircraft,..... these extra panel lines were internal anyway and strengthening for the nose mounted guns,....if fitted;

DSCF1607

A closer view of the clear parts,...... as before the front corners of the pilots glazing were sanded down to be rounder and less squared off,..... while the clear nose, as mentioned above,...has had the frame lines in the upper section sanded away,..... these should be internal frames anyway,...not external as in the kit;

DSCF1608

Well this GB has worked,.....I`m finally getting my mojo back,.... so thanks everybody!

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 11

Cheers Fella`s,..... slowed down a bit today,.... bit of a setback again,..... but hopefully a glitch! 

Managed to get the decals on the Wimpey B.Mk.X;

DSCF1612

Ignore the canopy frame lines,..... been having a few issues but hopefully a wooden cocktai stick will sort them out,

Cheers for now,

Tony

• Like 12

Here is another update,

First the B.Mk.X,..... added a coat of flat coat and put a wash in the panel lines,..... although the flat has gone and tried quite shiny,..... so I`ll apply some more later;

DSCF1616

Also the Mk.XIV,..... mostly sanded and almost ready to paint,...... but I`ve run out of black paint!

DSCF1615

So have to get to the model shop this weekend,

Cheers for now,

Tony

• Like 8

On 11/3/2017 at 5:02 AM, tonyot said:

Cheers Fella`s,..... slowed down a bit today,.... bit of a setback again,..... but hopefully a glitch! 

Cheers for now,

Tony

You haven't been overdoing too soon I hope Mr O'Toole. <_<

I really like the desert scheme on your 1st one, brilliant. Looking forward to the GR too, I can maybe see another of these needed. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

You haven't been overdoing too soon I hope Mr O'Toole. <_<

I really like the desert scheme on your 1st one, brilliant. Looking forward to the GR too, I can maybe see another of these needed. :)

Steve.

Cheers Steve,.... yeah that`s about it mate,...... just went out for 3 hours for a pub lunch with the missus,..... creased me up! 

I have a bit of a thing for the desert bomber scheme and other out of the ordinary stuff,..as you have probably gathered!! 

All the best mate and have a nice weekend,

Tony

• Like 2