Old (1962) Airfix B-17G "A BIT O LACE"

My attempt at the old 1962 Airfix B-17G "a bit of lace" kit, built as part of the radial engines group.

I know a lot of people will have fond memories of this old kit and it's artwork, I know that I certainly do. 

With four new B-17s in the stash I was not looking to get anything accurate, detailed or impressive from this build, all I wanted was a nice neatly built retro looking model of this old favorite. Unfortunately this old kit is an absolute stinker to build, the reason why is because the kits many transparencies are simply the wrong shape and size and do not fit the fuselage. Before beginning the build one of my main hopes was to keep as much of the riveted surface detail as possible, the reality was however a choice between keeping the rivets and the windows fitting neatly, and the windows won. I could of course have kept the rivets on the wings and tail but decided it was better to keep everything looking the same.

What you see here is a sanded down finished model with a two tone salt weathered alclad finish. I decided to model "a bit o lace" as it was before it received flak damage to the rudder but with the earlier damage to the port wing. All original parts except a few guns and windows.

The last picture is of the Matchbox B-17G kit, which as much as I love Matchbox was another stinker to build thanks to its transparent parts. It is a toss up which is the worst kit of these two kits to build. I am happy enough with the finished builds though.

37711823321_3584684445_k.jpg

37041555033_f2580d4b5b_k.jpg

37041562803_3ad93a81bd_k.jpg

37711850851_d1b371b0d0_k.jpg

37041573183_0527b29a0e_k.jpg

32152264212_5193067ca2_k.jpg

32182293201_360cbc47a4_k.jpg

Edited by old thumper
  • Like 44

Nice! I really like the finish you've achieved on the old Airfix kit (although I'm not going onto eBay to buy one for myself!!).

Regards,

David

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dazey said:

Nice! I really like the finish you've achieved on the old Airfix kit (although I'm not going onto eBay to buy one for myself!!).

Regards,

David

I don't blame you. I'm glad I built it, but won't be building anymore. 

• Like 1

Hello,OT - Your nostalgic kit builds are always a delight to view and this ‘B-17’ is no exception.Once again,here is a fine-looking result from a truly great classic kit.

Great work indeed.

😉👍 All The Best,Paul

• Like 2

Very good work on a kit that I (and many others) have such fond memories of.

As much for the exciting box art as anything else, I'm sure this was one of the most desirable kits to receive for Christmas or Birthday in my younger days.

I'm talking early 70's in my case. 

I can assure you, mine didn't turn out anything like as good as yours!

:goodjob:

• Like 1

It was every modellers' wish and dream back in the 1960s to have the 'Bit of Lace' in the collection.Saw it at Harrison's toy section in Kuala Lumpur,touched the parts but alas it was too pricey back then.Now i have seen it build thanks to Old Thumper and finally I can finally rest my desire for the lady to the back of my mind.

• Like 1

Thanks again all. I have most of the other large Airfix WW2 bomber kits stashed away and was hoping to build  the B-29 "Eddie Allen" before the Matchbox group build began. Bit o Lace took so long to build though that Eddie Allen will now have to wait until the Matchbox gb is finished.

I have proposed an Airfix the Golden Years Group Build for 2018 if anyone is interested and would like to join.  

• Like 1

I remember building this when I was a kid...

...and the fact that Humbrol No.11 Silver seemed to take forever to dry...

I had slightly metallic fingers for a while. :huh:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, At Sea said:

I remember building this when I was a kid...

...and the fact that Humbrol No.11 Silver seemed to take forever to dry...

I had slightly metallic fingers for a while. :huh:

I had the same problem back then, when it came to doing the anti glare panels I could never get the o/d to paint over humbrol silver either.

This is a blast from the past though I've no doubt your rendition is far better than mine ever wa!

The quality of the paintwork really brings it up to date though I am glad there are newer kits out there!

Cheers

Neil

• Like 1

I have one of them there kits but mine looks nothing like yours, it is a test mule for paints and decals and you are right, it is a stinker which is why mine ended up as it did.

Yours however is a testament to what can be achieved with such a kit, you have a great finished model from a pile of almost unbuild-able bits, well done.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, old thumper said:

I have proposed an Airfix the Golden Years Group Build for 2018 if anyone is interested and would like to join.  

Right up my street!

Count me in for sure.

Your B17 looks really good. The weathering is very subtle, yet effective.

I have a built one, complete with purple tail surfaces and green fuselage bands, as per the Roy Cross box. Built as a reminder of one I had in the sixties, it makes me smile every time I look at it.

Tony.

Edited by TonyW
Spelling
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, cocky05d said:

My big sky daddy ,the rivets ,what happened to the rivets?

I wanted to keep the rivets but there was so much sanding needed that it just wasn't possible.

I took a closer look at the built model featured on the kits box top earlier today. I must have seen that picture a hundred times and had always wondered how the builder kept the rivets intact while getting the windows to fit nicely. The secret was in photography, the big gaps around the windows are there but somehow I never noticed them. Being as Airfix clearly showed the built model warts and all on the box top I can hardly complain they were leading misleading customers, especially as the kit was about 30 years old before I bought it anyway

35798374413_082a8ba5f0_k.jpg

Edited by old thumper
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, TonyW said:

Right up my street!

Count me in for sure.

Your B17 looks really good. The weathering is very subtle, yet effective.

I have a built one, complete with purple tail surfaces and green fuselage bands, as per the Roy Cross box. Built as a reminder of one I had in the sixties, it makes me smile every time I look at it.

Tony.

Thanks I certainly shall, the vote will be in November some time.

• Like 1