Flight of the Phoenix

Hi folks,

Here are a few images from the Film and TV GB I participated in a few years ago whereby I built the Phoenix from the Jimmy Stewart (i.e better!) version of the film Flight of the Phoenix using the Italeri C-119G kit.

The photos aren't great but the model is packed away so I can't take new ones at the moment.

Hope you like it.

Mike

resized_32eeba51-49f4-4e18-8034-748cf59d

resized_f3f8b5fc-d8ed-416a-b6ae-13a4a653

resized_0819f3ff-bdcc-4ad0-911c-5d00a950

ca34196e-58a0-4de0-823f-08d71d9d8062.jpg

resized_65dd2d79-678b-45d4-baeb-70089ba6

Edited by Mike N
GB link added
  • Like 64

What a cracker!

I've always loved this film since seeing it when I was about 10 years old

So glad you have built and posted this one.

Top representation of the aircraft and the passengers on the wings

Cheers

Bruce

That's fantastic!

I love that shot of the engine turning - how many Coffman starter cartridges did you need? :lol: 

Shame the remake was so awful.

Ian

• Like 2

This is ace,what a good subject, done a great job too...

The Talmantz Phoenix P1 In the film It flew over a sand dune at the very end. As Martin above said Paul Mantz of Talmantz aviation died when it crashed while filming, roll credits.

Well done and thanks for showing it off.

Edit after reading what actually happened !

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, iainpeden said:

didn't they use a C-82 in the film?

Yes and no, kind of! Here are some pics of it and more info

http://www.check-six.com/Crash_Sites/Mantz-P1.htm

Edited by bzn20

Thanks for all the nice comments!

There were actually several aircraft used in the film. Intro from my original GB post which hopefully sheds some light!:

"Although the C-82 ‘Skytruck’ is the basis of the film, several aircraft types were actually used. For the Skytruck, there were 3 C-82s in various states of completeness, and an R4Q-1 (USMC version of the C-119C) which was used for the non-flying Phoenix built in the desert from the wreckage.

Even the Phoenix itself has 3 versions. The one shown built in the desert from the wreckage was a non-flying (but taxiable) prop - this is the version I will be building. The majority of the flying scenes use the custom-made ‘Tallmantz Phoenix P-1’ which was built for the film. This was a hybrid of various aircraft including a Beech C-45A and NA T-6 Texan, but at least half was scratch-built. This aircraft crashed during filming (killing stunt pilot Paul Mantz). With some shots still required, a NA O-47A was painted up to act as a stand-in but it is a very obvious switch in the film at the end (overflying the oil field).

...the [non-flying] Phoenix itself is built from the R4Q-1 (in the film, only the fuselage pod is from a C-82, the rest being the R4Q modified to resemble a C-82)."

Mike

• Like 1

Fantastic!

Haven't seen the movies in ages (neither the original nor the remake).

I remember first discovering the book in our municipal library, sometime in the early 70's, before finding out it had been made into a film.

As I recall, I eventually got to see the movie in the VCR era.  It was a very compelling book nonetheless.

Thanks for the very well-made and realistic model.  Awesome!

:thanks:

Great model.  I read that one of the “Phoenixes” only had profiles of the passengers (rather than 3D dummies) so as not to mess up the marginal flying characteristics.  But they’re real people in the propellor slipstream whilst taxying.

cheers

Will