The inevitable Spitfire Mkix.///Finished////

stevej60

Hi folk's,well I did promise an original Matchbox kit to go with my Revell Mk22/24 and had it down to either the Spitfire or Hurricane,due to the age

these kit's are now decal's are always a risk when buying them and I've spare Spitfire marking's and none for the Mkii Hurricane.I've ordered the kit

from KK so a few day's before it arrives and I'll post sprue shot's hoping for a start after the big Spit is finished.It would be nice to use the kit decal's

but I have some D-Day striped scheme's which are just too tempting!

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 5

Hi folk's,there was a knock at the door and the 1970's turned up,what a blast from the past inside the green and brown plastic was as I 

remembered and the decals and instructions as good as the day they were put in all rounded of by the great "M" stand which must be used!

20171019_121216

• Like 8

Nice one Steve. This is a great kit to add to the GB. I reckon we’ve all had a crack at this kit in a past life so seeing this build up will be a great throwback for many of us. Well played.. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Good on you. I built a couple of these back in the day and always thought it looked the part, pre dating the Airfix VB which showed that the 'gull wing' could in fact be moulded and which this kit didn't have and therefore being ignored thereafter as a serious model, which in fact it was at the time. It seemed far better than the very old Airfix IX 'JE-J' and on a par with the contemporary Frog VIII/IX which had an over thick wing (but still nice if wings thinned down). My own Matchbox Spit efforts were a desert IX and a low back XVI, built using the Chris Ellis book 'How To Go Advanced Plastic Modelling' and my first cut and chop conversion, of which I was quite pleased. The book suggested JE-J as the donor kit but the Matchbox kit was much nicer . How easily we were pleased in those days, no etched or resin inserts etc.

Nige B

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Just a quick sprue shot for those too young to remember this one.

Hey, I remember those sprues..... whoops, I've just qualified myself as OLD!!! 

Cheers... Dave  

40 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Hey, I remember those sprues..... whoops, I've just qualified myself as OLD!!!

Me too Dave,now I can see the logic in these two colour's but some of those that came later?

Hi Steve,

I have never built a Spit Mk IX!!! AND I am old enough to remember this box in my tobacconist's shop window (not that I smoked in those healthy days). 

So it will be interesting to see how this kit scrubs up under your expert hands.

And you are right about the sprue colors: these look almost boringly normal. Obviously they had run out of happy pills on that day.

Have fun

JR

• Like 2

Thank's Jean,I'm tempted to go fully  retro and use the supplied decal's but just want to see how the kit look's in stripes maybe the next build

will be what's in the box only.

Stripes, especially the black and white, always look great! You must never deny yourself a craving, be it ice cream or stripes.

JR

• Like 1

I'm one of those who DIDN'T have this kit as a young'un. Even back then I had class and preferred Hurricanes. :P

Didn't get my first Spitfire until sometime in the early 90s, one of Mr Fujimi's Mk.XIVs. I should have a go at the Matchbox Mk.IX I suppose, to enhance my 'old codger' cred. ;)

Looks good Steve, hopefully the process continues running smoothly for you.

• Like 1

I do like to see a pilot in and wheels up on a stand.  I thought the Matchbox stands were great (although there was a tendency for the model to fall off sometimes and sit tail down, nose in the air.  I miss pilots and stands in newer kits.

• Like 2

Nice little kit. Simple and clean fitting which I suppose was the market they aimed for. It and the Heller XVI were the only decent mid mark Spits available at the time.

I too built one (early 80’s I think). I took the prop/spinner, wheels and Aero Vee filter from a Heller XVI and that improved the appearance no end. 

Trevor

• Like 1

Change of plan folk's,I've ran out of Tamiya tape for now so stripes are out on this build,so I'm looking at what other option's i have in the spares

box even considering the kit option but cracking on with the basic scheme for now.

20171025_193000

Upper surface sprayed and first of a couple of green coat's applied.

• Like 5

Hi folk's a change of plan enforced by me leaving spilt water on the decal sheet yesterday! so change of identity and dry fit

of the cockpit ready for fitting,also I decided to fit the U/C,wheel's etc.

20171028_124548

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 9

Hi folk's as noted in the edited last post a change in Squadron is complete,trimmed canopy ready for painting,wheels etc added they just need a tidy up

round the rims,yellow leading edge striping and a matt coat and we're all done.

20171028_182236

• Like 4