IBG Scammell Pioneer SV2S Heavy Breakdown Tractor

Big Person

Glynn has talked me into posting my build of the IBG Scammell Pioneer SV2S Heavy Breakdown Tractor. This is the one I mean.

c9075a7a-a176-4f19-8052-4774c0f9777f.jpg

and I'm hoping to build an RAF version.

07997056-8536-4ab8-b9e1-bcc4f27244aa.jpg

I've already started the build and I'll post photos as I go.

I built and weathered the engine first, you may have seen these pictures in Glynn's post.

resized_a083ea7f-3346-4b4c-a585-254fe98c

resized_eec1b9f9-c914-483e-b8b6-e46eebb7 

Fuse wire, solder, a couple of bits of sprue and some Tamiya masking tape.

resized_10bec6a2-0f85-49b9-9d66-0f48117a

resized_baa2eea9-7f2a-488a-9520-78f4b896

resized_3fddbb81-a532-4542-b2d6-5da92175

resized_b2986fdd-381a-4d0e-8dbf-c094496e

I'm using Village Photos to upload the pictures but they seem a bit large. Anyone know how to make them smaller?

Best Wishes

Andy

Edited by Big Person
Wrong image.
  • Like 9

The chassis is now built. I'm not going to add any extra details to it, mainly because I don't have the stuff to make them out of! 

Just to be different, the cable from the winch goes round the side of the chassis and now exits at the front.

The wheel centres are held in place with Blue-Tac as I wanted to ensure it all sat level after I'd glued the axles in place.

resized_4c245152-e398-40cb-bb42-a77a0021

resized_59e77bd0-7ad0-4260-8bfe-5fd64275

I'm still not sure how to make these pictures smaller, any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Andy

• Like 2

These are like buses; you wait for ages then three come along! It's looking good though.

With regards to the photo size. I don't know what system you use, but I open my photos with Paint and then click on the Resize button and you can make them as small or big as you want. I usually make mine about 900 x 600.

John.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Nice, what have you used for the winch cable Andy, I have to get some and some fine chain

Glynn 

Hi Glynn,

The winch cable is made from two strands of very fine wire, I think it was bell wire or something like that. Any more than two strands, the cable gets hard to bend to the right shape. Start off with pieces that are a lot longer than you need as it will shorten greatly as you wind it. I put the two lengths into my dremel and held the other end with pliers. Put the dremel on its' lowest speed and just twist. Be prepared for trial and error as this stuff had a mind of its' own!

As for the chain, In our local Hospice Care shop, they sell any four jewellery items for £1.00, I found these. After removing all the charms etc, this is what you are left with. Much cheaper than the "proper" ones on Ebay 1f601.png😁1f601.png😁 and all for a quid!

003b67cf-1802-4fff-a66e-2fd6384a0599.jpg

b609edce-8435-46fa-b29c-a510514be81a.jpg

Hope that helps.

Best Wishes

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

These are like buses; you wait for ages then three come along! It's looking good though.

With regards to the photo size. I don't know what system you use, but I open my photos with Paint and then click on the Resize button and you can make them as small or big as you want. I usually make mine about 900 x 600.

John.

Thanks John, I've just been using photos straight from my iPhone without resizing them. Glad you my build.

Andy

• Like 1

How is the kit quality? If seen some work in progress and looks quite good. That ugly vehicle every time I look at it whisper to me - buy me. 

Engine looks fantastic. 

Edited by Kris B

1 hour ago, Kris B said:

How is the kit quality? If seen some work in progress and looks quite good. That ugly vehicle every time I look at it whisper to me - buy me. 

Engine looks fantastic. 

Hi Kris, the quality is really good. It's like building a Tamiya kit. The only thing I would say is that some of the attachment points to the sprue are a little thick and require some sanding after you have removed the parts. I know that's only nit-picking though :)

It's a great looking vehicle and you really need to buy one!

Best Wishes

Andy

If you are going to depict an RAF used Scammell be aware that they were not blue-grey during WW2.  They were the same colours as the army vehicles.  The pictured restoration is the wrong colour and in any case not the right shade of BS.33 RAF Blue-Grey. it should be much darker than that shown.  The patterning on the army vehicles isn't properly applied, the  artwork has been based on an incorrectly painted restoration.  The scheme is covered in MTP.46/4A, google that to see how it was actually applied to vehicles, they were factory painted to a specification so none of 'the painter might have done it a bit different' nonsense, it wouldn't have been accepted by the inspection department.  The basic colour is SCC.2 brown with SCC.1A dark brown or SCC.14 black patterning.  Interiors would be the basic colour as were all chassis and other components too.

• Thanks 2

A bit more work done on the Scammell, it's coming along nicely with no real problems.

The jib with some detail added from spare photo etch.

resized_e8907e56-14fa-4510-857f-377f0deb

The winch assembly.

b4c0fb99-cf33-4a41-b112-39b4e1703e4e.jpg

Rolled-up blinds made from Kneadite.

resized_ce8151b9-ad7c-416f-9c5c-9e32e8f1

Wiring added to cab interior.

resized_5ec085b7-c680-4ad8-84c2-7ff6ac63

Home-made ladder and Meng bolt heads added.

resized_dee643d5-4555-4436-af2e-87043be7

Best Wishes

Andy

Edited by Big Person
  • Like 5

That's some cracking work on the Scammell. I saw a real one once, a real beast of a lorry.

Good stuff for winch cables is "Tiger Tail" wire for making jewellery, pendants and necklaces. A lot of hobby shops carry it and you get a lot for a quid or two. It comes with a very thin plastic coating but this can be very easily burnt off if not wanted to make the wire even thinner.

In addition to my previous colour notes, the restored vehicles carries B/6 coding.  it would unlikely that bomber group would have this type of vehicle. Maintenance command is more likely for heavy airframe lifting.  Use an 'M' prefix instead.  Some googling may reveal which units in the command might use them.