Hasegawa Spitfire 1/48

cocky05d

5 hours ago, gingerbob said:

Because they're in the business of selling plastic model kits, not making replacement bits or making "perfectly accurate replicas".  Some of us find it a little grating to buy, for example, an Eduard kit and then "have to" buy an Eduard replacement part for said kit.  I suppose what you meant was "correct the tooling" to include it in the kit?  Some do occasionally fix problems in the tooling, but that's an undersirable complication/expense after the tooling is already done.  They'd usually rather just pop off a thousand imperfect ones, if people will still buy them.  Not to mention that some of them really hate to admit that they goofed!  (None of this is meant to sound rude, aggressive, or what-have-you.)

bob

Hi ,no Offense taken ,yes that is what i meant .i did read that Eduard after they make a mistake with their ME109G kit ,they scrapped it and started again .

While we are on the subject ,what is the difference between a new mould and a new tooling ?.

2 hours ago, cocky05d said:

Hi ,no Offense taken ,yes that is what i meant .i did read that Eduard after they make a mistake with their ME109G kit ,they scrapped it and started again .

While we are on the subject ,what is the difference between a new mould and a new tooling ?.

Eduard didn't start again with their 109, but they did change a lot, unfortunately they didn't fix the size of the nose which leads to the exhausts still being obviously too larger.

Although new mould could mean just a new mould has been machined using existing masters so the kit is the essentially the same and new tooling a newly designed kit, they are normally both used to mean a newly designed kit. Just don't rely on the manufacturer saying new moulds or tooling as you can get caught out.

Edited by Tbolt

1 hour ago, NPL said:

Remember one who cannabalized the wings for making a Mk. XIV from the Airfix PR XIX (1/48), sparing the wings of this kit for a PR Mk XI. But are the Hasegawa wings OK?

I'd say the Hasegawa wings are the best feature of the kit, and I've never heard any criticism of their accuracy.

On 19/10/2017 at 4:58 PM, Tbolt said:

Eduard didn't start again with their 109, but they did change a lot, unfortunately they didn't fix the size of the nose which leads to the exhausts still being obviously too larger.

Hi, Tbolt,

The spinner backplate are almos the same diameter in the Zvezda and the Eduard kit. The exhausts are a bit bigger but the look is much worse on the sprues, for what you have is the exhaust opening which is big. With the exhausts installed it is not nearly so evident. Windscreens are virtually intechangeable between the kits, and even the Erla haube of the latter would pass in the former, provided it is posed open.

Fernando

1 hour ago, Fernando said:

Hi, Tbolt,

The spinner backplate are almos the same diameter in the Zvezda and the Eduard kit. The exhausts are a bit bigger but the look is much worse on the sprues, for what you have is the exhaust opening which is big. With the exhausts installed it is not nearly so evident. Windscreens are virtually intechangeable between the kits, and even the Erla haube of the latter would pass in the former, provided it is posed open.

Fernando

Well the exhaust looks too fat to me on the finished model and spoil the look. Sure it could be fixed, but why with so many other options out there? I'll be waiting to see what the Tamiya kit is like.

8268_04.jpg

Edited by Tbolt

We live in very lucky times, and the new tools by and large are miles ahead of the tooling that we had in the last century, yet we still find detail that's not right.

We all know Tamiya 109G, will best the rest, So We look forward to it, and maybe a 1/72, and 1/32, but I feel for a few years, 109G, has been done.

The Hasegawa Spitfire Mk XI, 1/48, I made a few years ago, at the time, I thought it was just okay, could have been better, We now have better kits, again, Tamiya would maybe add a bit more.😊

• 3 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, cocky05d said:

Hasegawa history of the Spitfire V111 in the instructions sheet ,they say that the Mark V111 had a lengthened Fuselage ,does that mean the 

kit is accurate ?

No.

The longer fuselage of a MkVIII  is because of the longer two stage supercharger of the Merlin 60 engine.

The added length is in the engine  bay.

ALL Spitfires up the revised tail 22/24  are the same length from firewall to rudder post

" The length of the fuslage from frame 5 [ firewall ] to the rudder post is 245 inches which is 6223mm and at 1:48th scale is 129.645833mm. "

the origin of the problems with the hasegawa VIII/IX fuselage have been traced to use of inaccurate plans IIRC.

If you can try taping togther a  Hase VIII fuselage to an accurate 1/48th Spitfire fuselage.