Spitfire VII 131 Squadron July 1944

Hello everyone!

Having recently finished wrestling with the ICM Bf109F I decided to take a break from tough-to-build kits by building the....ICM Spitfire VII!

I built this kit about a year ago but an unfortunate reaction with the paint meant that it was a bit of a mess underneath and I was never happy with it. I ended up scrapping that kit and using its innards to build another kit, which you see here!

I decided to build an aircraft that did not have the high-altitude tips as I had recently built a Spitfire VI and quite frankly I dont like them! Pictures show that MD111 of 131 Squadron did not have them fitted in July 1944 and hence became my choice of subject.

The following mods were made to the ICM kit:

Ultracast Propellor and cannons

Spare Eduard gear legs

Cockpit door deleted and cockpit pressure bulkhead scratchbuilt. Canopy rails from plastic sheet

High-altitude paint scheme, paints by xtracrylics

Decals from the spares box

Hope you like it! I have attached a picture of her older sister the Mk.VI at the bottom to show the contrast with the colours and wingtips.

Chris

AtxRTMz.jpg

FWeGn0T.jpg

lrVqiYZ.jpg

2fzEVNt.jpg

dJ0U9nC.jpg

• Like 35

17 hours ago, airbus320 said:

I decided to build an aircraft that did not have the high-altitude tips as I had recently built a Spitfire VI and quite frankly I dont like them! Pictures show that MD111 of 131 Squadron did not have them fitted in July 1944 and hence became my choice of subject

In 'Spitfire at War 3', it says that on 17 June 1944 131 Sqn. undertook comparison flights between aircraft with standard and extended tips at low and medium height. The standard ones won and the extended tips were removed. There was no call for operations at high altitude at that stage of the war.

Beautiful models.

John.

• Like 1

Hello Chris,

Very good job on your VII, I hesitate a lot in choosing my subject.

But I wanted a Spiky wing for my collection, so I did "Spirit of Kent"

Same painting, no invasion stripes and pointy wings.

Congratulations !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp