Tempest II, No.33 sqn, Butterworth, 1951

Here's my entry into the Radial Engines Rock GB, Special Hobby's Tempest II in 1/72nd, No.33 Sqn based in Butterworth in 1951. Not a bad fitting kit, the main wing was the worse aspect, good job they include 2 vacform canopies as well. Vallejo ModelAir paint, decals by Xtradecal, rockets by Pavla.

DSC_0002DSC_0007DSC_0005DSC_0004

• Like 24

Great work on this kit! IIRC, on the Xtradecal sheet, this aircraft was green and grey -- to my eyes it looks like the model is maybe Dark Earth and Dark Green...was the sheet wrong?

27 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

How was it to build? I've been tempted to get one and build in the Indian scheme.

Martin

Martin, You can see my build thread in the 'Radial Engines Rock' GB. It must be one of their earlier productions, the detail is good and certainly looks like a Tempest ( I haven't checked against plans or measurements ), I found the main wing fit poor and the single piece main landing gear bay resin plug a pain to thin down and make it fit. It also has vacformed canopies unlike later models they have issued.

Really, I'm pretty impatient and won't spend much time on joins and general finishing, my models will never stand close scrutiny!

44 minutes ago, airbus320 said:

Nice Tempest! Is it PRU blue underneath?

Chris

Thanks Chris, yes, it is Vallejo faded PRU blue, from a set I bought recently. If people think the green looks 'odd', they give you USAF olive drab as RAF top green. It looks better in the flesh, but I may try something else next time.

Davey.

Edited by DaveyGair
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Great work on this kit! IIRC, on the Xtradecal sheet, this aircraft was green and grey -- to my eyes it looks like the model is maybe Dark Earth and Dark Green...was the sheet wrong?

Cheers 'Procopius', I think the end result looks good.

The Xtradecal sheet suggested Dark Green/Dark Sea Grey over PRU Blue which is what I finished it in, the green in the Vallejo ModelAir set I bought for WW2 RAF/FAA colours is actually USAF Olive Drab, which does look brownish under certain lighting, looks totally different in photo's as well, flash or no flash.

• Like 2