Some Foil on a Starfighter: Completed

I have another tip regarding Bare Metal Foil. I think that the Matt Aluminum is too shiny. I have tried a number of ways to reduce the shine and the best product is Simple Green (http://simplegreen.com/products/all-purpose-cleaner/). I lightly spray the sheet of BMF with Simple Green and let it sit for 5 sec. I then wipe it off with a paper towel. The shine on the BMF is reduced. Plus, fingerprints are no longer so noticeable. 

4 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Its probably because microsol has some ratio of Vinegar i think judging by smell. Vinegar is an acid and would chemically stain the metal. So again thanks for the tip 👍.

Any chemical experts out here know if theres something similar i could use to avhieve the blueing effect you see on and around jet exhausts ?  

You can also try JAX Aluminum Blackener (https://jaxchemical.com/shop/jax-aluminum-blackener/). Just be careful with this stuff, I think it is a mild acid. This stuff must be washed off the BMF  after you achieve the desired effect or it will keep on darkening the foil. I spray Simple Green on a paper towel and then wipe the BMF. Please, try this stuff on some scrap foil before putting it on a model.

john

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Johnny_K said:

I have been putting decals directly onto the foil without using Future. I have had mixed results regarding silvering if the carrier film. See the following photo for an example. The carrier film of the letters USAF is very noticeable on the right wing. Major bummer. I have since started to cutout the individual letters of USAF, that way there is no carrier film to worry about.

TWoyvj0.jpg?2

You need to be carful when applying Microsol to Bare Metal Foil. If too much is applied, or if it is rubbed to aggressively, it will darken the foil. Look at the darkened BMF above and below the national symbol on the fuselage.  Since the P-51 was weathered, the discolored panels looked okay. If the plane was not weathered the discolored panels would have been a disaster!  I have since used the Microsol to discolor the BMF on jet plane fuselages in areas that would become discolored from the heat of the jet engines.

AU9ryiE.jpg?1

I am going to try using Future under the decals on my next BMF project. I can always remove the Future with Windex after the decals are applied. 

Before you apply Windex to your model and potentially lift  the decal, you might try a dry q-tip.  I have found that things may coat the aluminum, it's grip on the aluminum is tenuous at best.  When I paint the portions of this Starfighter, I won't use masking as it will lift off the foil.  Any overspray will be rubbed off to avoid damaging any surfaces.  I'll be doing the same thing after the decals dry.  As long as you avoid using an etching primer, everything comes off quite easily.

Gaz

Edited by Bungalow_Bill
Typo

G'day everyone,

Some heavy foiling today.  And not without the need to do a few panels more than once.   But that's foiling.  Once I even ruined one by trimming the one I'd added afterwards.

I decided to wipe out the louvres on the belly first.  See red arrows.

063943.jpg

Next, a full panel to cover the belly.  On this Italerei model there are a lot of high and low panels.  Smoothing them flat would be more realistic, but rescribing is something I've never done well.

071453.jpg

Same process up front.

055246.jpg

Working the foil up around the nose.   I decided to try something new on this time.  Not gonna foil any full parts that will be painted. 

Under the red arrow is a newly painted sheet drying.  It only takes 5-10 minutes.

080746.jpg

Extending panels backwards.   Under the red arrow, is the misty look that says your glue is ready to use.  After a while it will dry out completely and be unusable.

Not to worry...it's cheap!

080816.jpg

Left this square bare so I could paint it.  A big, yellow decal will cover that.

144839.jpg

Used Tamiya white primer on the nose cone, then rudded it off the foil.  Then masked for the Anti-glare panel.

144908.jpg

What's the hardest thing I ever foiled?  The propeller hub on a Hamilton Standard prop in 1/48.

145156.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Gaz

• Like 2

I bought some Microscale metal foil adhesive and the cheapest (therefore probably the thinnest) tin foil in the supermarket and tried it out on a set of hurricane wings (duplicated in a kit so spare).

I've got to say, it is so easy! Tried it shiny side up and dull side up, both worked well. I then polished both with a microfiber cloth and was amazed at the difference. I think that dull side polished is most accurate for in-service aircraft, but his is personal choice.

I also found (actually, I did know this but I'd forgotten) that metal has a grain just like wood - or at least my foil did.... this could be useful in providing a contrast along with any polishing.

Got to recommend that anyone following this thread gives it a try!

• Like 2

Finally some sun!

Hi Everyone.  For the last ten days, it's been nothing but rain with a few short periods of grey clouds.  Thankfully, the Queensland sun has risen today in full brilliance.  Aluminum loves the sun.  Only under the sun's light do the full effects of your labors become apparent.

Last night I foiled for a couple more hours and got a few more panels laid.  Took these photos this morning:

This fuzzy photo shows the effects of applying a grain to the same roll of aluminum foil.  There are various ways to tint foil.  Bleach and water mixture with bits of copper and lead.  Boiling with eggshells.  Anyone know any others?

These Starfighters don't seem to show a lot of variation in the tint of their aluminum panels.  So I won't be tinting any panels other than the 'steel' panels around the engine and canon aperture.   I will only be using grain and polishing effects to make the panels change their appearance in relation to light and viewing angle.

072832.jpg

072731.jpg

Subtle effects are best.  You don't want it to look like a patchwork quilt, after all.

072652.jpg

072535.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Gaz

• Like 5

HI Everyone,

Just a small update.  Foiling is like a puzzle, so I've just added more pieces.

121431.jpg

I worked up the underside through Sunday.

121357.jpg

Got the airbrake area done today and started on the dorsal areas.

121416.jpg

The little fillet at the back of the wing root was very difficult.  On both sides of the fuselage, each small piece had to be made of smaller pieces.

Thanks for looking!

Gaz

• Like 2

hi, I am learning some great tips from your build. i am currently foiling my 1/32 scale Mirage IIIc. i found that the rivets do no show up when i foil it, so i had to use a sharpened nail and rescribe it so that the edges raise up a little , so when i foil over they are visible. how do you overcome this problem of sunken rivets?

HI Shan,

Thank you for looking.  To make the rivets show better, I just run a toothpick along the line of the rivets.  Or, I rub over them with a cotton bud or q-tip, firmly so that the rivets are sunk a little.

Good luck!

Gaz

40 minutes ago, Bungalow_Bill said:

HI Shan,

Thank you for looking.  To make the rivets show better, I just run a toothpick along the line of the rivets.  Or, I rub over them with a cotton bud or q-tip, firmly so that the rivets are sunk a little.

Good luck!

Gaz

hI Gaz

i tried that but it leaves a crease and i had issues trying to get rid of it later. also, i am trying to get it as shiny as possible, to mimic the pic below 

mirage%203c_zpsrmfiv86l.jpg

tried out on the drop tanks

DROP%20TANKS_zpszkdy7vi1.jpg

DROP%20TANKS-2_zpsa4okb8oz.jpg

i sanded it with steel wool - 0000 - fine, and used metal polish to bring back the shine.

• Like 1

Hi Shan,

I don't press that hard with the toothpick.  It should only take gentle pressure to sink the foil into the surface detail.  Aluminum polish can achieve the shine you desire.  I have to polish my Starfighter, so you will see. 

'

I bought my aluminum polish at a car parts and accessories store.  It's usually used to polish aluminum rims.  Clean off the excess residue with turps or nail polish remover.

That drop tank looks great!

Gaz

1 hour ago, Bungalow_Bill said:

Hi Shan,

I don't press that hard with the toothpick.  It should only take gentle pressure to sink the foil into the surface detail.  Aluminum polish can achieve the shine you desire.  I have to polish my Starfighter, so you will see. 

'

I bought my aluminum polish at a car parts and accessories store.  It's usually used to polish aluminum rims.  Clean off the excess residue with turps or nail polish remover.

That drop tank looks great!

Gaz

Thanks Gaz, will be following your progress to get as many tips as possible, thanks for the tip on the Car rim polish, i will go and look for some.

Sometimes I need to add rivets to my models. I use two tools, one tool is a long pointed rod on a wood shaft. The other is a rivet making tool that I bought online. The rivet tool has four wheels with teeth of various spacing's.

W7RjOHJ.jpg?2

snYngO1.jpg

Great foil job. I use BMF to foil my planes. I should give kitchen foil a try.

For what's it worth, it seems that the wings on the F-104 were painted. The wings on my F-104 are foiled and someone told me that that was incorrect.

I love the rivet detail on the bottom photo.

QYmEEsV.jpg?1

CUAqa06.jpg?1

SpYQB77.jpg?2

Edited by Johnny_K

Johnny,

The USN had the only two Starfighters that were NMF all over.  And many got painted on some surfaces to protect against corrosion, mostly on the vertical stab and tailplane.  NO idea why the wings were white.  Anyway...that's less foil that I have to worry about.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

I'm a little late to the party here, but I'll just pull up a seat here, if there's room.

Great content, and a brilliant build so far.🌟🌟🌟

Silver paint? Pfff....!

THIS is what we're talking about!

Rob,

Welcome!  Thank you so much for the kind words.  Since I started with foil, silver paint has been relegated to the role of silver-doped-fabric.

Gaz