HMS Spartan - from Airfix HMS Trafalgar kit

bootneck

I have been impressed by some of the previous conversions of Airfix's 1:350 scale HMS Trafalgar kit that I have seen on this forum; so much so that I felt a desire to do one myself.  This one will be a waterline version of HMS Spartan, set in the Falklands during 1982, which I plan to incorporate into a diorama, possibly with other vessels later.  Much has already been said about shortening the hull length by 7mm, to get the correct dimensions for the Swiftsure class SSN's, so I am starting this with the hull already converted.

Herewith the modified kit.  The horizontal indentations on the forward hull sides have been filled, as they do not appear on photo's of the period I have planned for. 

hms_spartan_02_1000.jpg

The model needs the twin baffles to be installed on the hull, alongside the fin; plus the tail fin and other kit parts.

hms_spartan_04_1000.jpg

As this is a waterline setting, the tail fin will appear separated from the hull; therefore I have placed the model onto a card base.  This base will be trimmed to the width of the hull and will be hidden by the sea setting that will surround the model.

hms_spartan_07_1000.jpg

My intention, hopefully, will be to have Spartan berthed alongside another vessel; probably the Stena Seaspread which was used for repair and maintenance of vessels after the conflict had ended.

hms_spartan_09_1000.jpg

Well, it's a start and I hope that I can turn this into an acceptable representation of this fine submarine.

Thanks for looking.

Mike

• Like 7

Hi Kevin,

that is the best view of a Swiftsure class alongside a vessel that I have ever seen.  There is so much detail to be gleaned from these views and thank you very much for posting them.  My diorama will probably have HMS Spartan alongside Diligence's near-sister the m.v. Stena Seaspread, which I will be doing as a scratchbuild.

Cheers

Mike

13 hours ago, KEVIN_ARIS said:

i very rarely took a camera to sea, as we never went anywhere lol, but i have a few others and will post on here if you wish

Hi Kevin,

I know what you mean about the camera; I must have spent about 4 or 5 years at sea (HMS' Bulwark, Albion, Hermes and Intrepid) during my career but hardly ever thought of taking photos of these ships or surroundings!  I would really appreciate it  if you could post more images please, especially at those high relolutions.

13 hours ago, Richard E said:

Perhaps the daft question of the day: what have you done to get the "black on white" finish on the model parts?

Hi Richard,

I sprayed the model with satin black from Halfords and then gently sanded down the joins and filler with wet and dry which also helped accentuate the deck markings with black lines.   The model will be re-primed with grey and then painted satin black again; followed by a brown/grey wash into those recesses etc.

cheers

Mike

• Like 1

I have added some areas where tiles have been broken away and given the model a coat of Vallejo Black Grey. 

hms_spartan_12_1000.jpg

I have attempted to add representations of the tiles by scoring fine lines on the hull.

hms_spartan_10_1000.jpg

This view shows the tiles more effectively.

hms_spartan_11_1000.jpg

Next phase will be to paint the walkway area on the upper part of the hull, which will be a matt dark grey; then add some weathering.  I will also need to start thinking about the sea-base and how I want to prepare it.

Mike

• Like 4

Whilst considering all the choices on how to display this model, I have shortlisted them to two scenarios:

the first idea is to have a small base, of about 40cm x 30cm using a cheap cork board, and display just the sub in a sea setting.

hms_spartan_17_800_small_base.jpg

The second choice would be to use a larger cork board, about 60cm x 40cm, and combine it with another model in an alongside settiing very similar to Kevin's photo's with RFA Diligence. 

As mentioned previously, this support vessel would be Stena Seaspread.

hms_spartan_15_1000_large_base_1.jpg

Oh; decisions, decisions.  The answer may be in how long it will take me to complete this scratchbuild of Stena Seaspread. :unsure:

Mike

• Like 8

• 7 months later...

I found some photos of HMS Spartan fitted with the DDS and adapted the Trafalgar kit as per previous threads. Shapeways also have a 1/350 SEAL Swimmer Delivery Vehicle, which goes nicely in the DDS.