Italeri Dakota Mk.III

Ready for inspection is my 1:72 Italeri Dakota Mk.III, this is the first time I have built a larger aircraft, and I hope it will give me confidence to tackle the Halifax and Lancaster which are currently tucked up in my stash. So to the build, the kit went together pretty well, the fuselage halves are a bit of a pain to line up, but otherwise the kit required only a little amount of filler (which is always a bonus). The underside is brush painted, and the olive drab from a trusty rattle can (thanks to my lovely other half!). I should say I got an airbrush for my birthday and am growing in confidence with it, so hopefully my next build will be painted that way. Anyway back to the Dak, the decals caused me to sweat a little (and have a few beers!), but with the help of micro set, they soon were in place. I'm pretty happy with my first 'big' build, and more importantly I have discovered  new respect, and love for the handsome looking aircraft.

Thanks, Michelle. 

2017-10-14_06-59-00

2017-10-14_06-54-59

2017-10-14_06-57-58

2017-10-14_06-58-20

2017-10-14_06-58-39

2017-10-14_06-59-14

2017-10-14_06-59-35

2017-10-14_07-00-46

2017-10-14_07-01-27

2017-10-14_07-01-51

2017-10-14_07-02-07

• Like 35

Top notch Dakota there Michelle. I’ve got the same kit at an advanced stage but gave up when one row of windows fell inside. Seeing how good it looks when finished makes think I should get on and finish it.

Cheera Allan

• Thanks 1

You know what appeals to me straight away is the two lads sitting in the doorway, chatting. Really reminds of my time skydive flying when the weather would stop operations and we would sit in the back of the aeroplane having a laugh. 

That's a really nice touch. You've a great eye for detail.

Sometimes modellers forget aeroplanes are as much about the people who fly in them.

Nice.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, janneman36 said:

This is in fact the old Esci moulding:wink:

And it indeed turned out fine:yes:

Yes - I know it's from the Esci mould. I built one recently. It was an Italeri boxed version - like this one. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Im not sure why there are two entries for your build. But nice Dakota 👍

Only because when I pressed submit it said something went wrong, wait a minute and resubmit. I did that and it appeared twice.....I'm not trying to attract double the attention..... Honest!😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A very nice result there.  I also like the two blokes sitting in the back, and your rather battered-looking chocks.

My Airfix Dak is presently stalled as the wing root joint needs some major sorting out and the fuselage crown seam has split, again!😖  Yours might just be the inspiration I need to dust it off and try to get it finished.

• Thanks 1

I suspected as much ... wasn't thinking you were trying to double up. 

6 hours ago, Shelliecool said:
15 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Only because when I pressed submit it said something went wrong, wait a minute and resubmit. I did that and it appeared twice.....I'm not trying to attract double the attention..... Honest!😉

• Like 1

Hi Michelle,

that is a great Dakota. Super job!

I am not sure, when the decals start to become cantankerous, that beer drinking is the best way to success.

I would personally go for a good single malt whisky. You need less to reach the point where decals can go to hell!

On this airplane isn't there a nickname somewhere under the cockpit?

Great show!

Lucky you to have an airbrush to play with. I first need to have electricity, then I will think about the airbrush.

JR

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jean said:

On this airplane isn't there a nickname somewhere under the cockpit?

On the BBMF's Dak there is, but ZA947 never flew with the RAF prior to 1971 when she transferred from the RCAF.

This is a lovely build of the RAFs workhorse during WW2, I do like the Paras sat by the load door

• Like 1

On 10/16/2017 at 1:57 PM, Eric Mc said:

Has anybody ever jumped out of ZA947?

I remember seeing her tooling around the Farnborough circuit in her RAE colours.

I believe the Paras sometimes do, and if there will most likely jump at next years Dakotas over Normandy 

Edited by Mutley
  • Like 1

• 4 years later...