Sword Spitfire PR Mk.IV Trop

JackG

This was planned for the Made in Britain II GB, so continuing it here ...

First the Vokes filter, gone ahead and glued it to the wing bottom, but normally this should be done after the wings are attached to the fuselage - yea, unconventional me.

37012080593_5d6143f324_b.jpg

I noticed some open gaps (circled red above) right where the wing leading edge meets the filter.  So to fix that, wedged a length of sprue inside the filter to spread the walls a bit, it helped.  From test fitting, also noticed there was a step where the back of the filter joined the faring that is molded on to the wing underside.  Sheet plastic and some sanding fixed that.

Now for some real gaps:

37634200836_d71a6e0961_b.jpg

The wing roots on this kit are a problem, but oddly I didn't have this much fuss on an earlier Sword kit of their Spitfire V.  Needs major dihedral to eliminate that space, so trying this for the first time, and added some plastic sheet along the whole wing root:

37012083913_f1d3573542_b.jpg

It still required a bit more sanding for a finer fit, but here's a shot for test fit:

37012082523_897fc8b7be_b.jpg

Pilot and cockpit details in place.  Also adding a trio of scratch built recon cameras, the side fuselage one is already in place - though can barely can make it out in the photo:

37012085183_95c3deded8_b.jpg

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG
  • Like 10

Thank you Beard.

I'm going for option two, Warburton's mount serial BP885 in an overall dark blue and the lightened blue section of the roundels.  As I understand it, this Spitfire was repainted in theater with local mixed paints, but will be trying out Hataka's Royal Blue.    

htk-a055-royal-blue.jpg

regards,

Jack

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Should be getting some primer on this one one soon,  but here are some final construction shots:

37953892141_988f9147ef_b.jpg

The Sword brand kit has you install four pieces inside the wheel wells, but I could only get one to fit, and even that lone piece is sitting on a slant.  I found they all stood too high and interfered with the fit of the top and bottom wing halves.  No matter to me as the landing gear will be in the up position, and the gap left by not using those parts won't be noticed. 

Note all the putty holding the pilot seat and a pair of cameras in the rear.  Some putty up front to to fill in the hole where the main fuel cap is.

37953896581_bac592c7e0_b.jpg

I've used resin exhausts for better detail.  Some scratch building for the landing gear.  PE doors replace the kit parts, as they are too thick and oversize - they sit atop the wing surface instead of flush within the wheel well.  Also scratch built the pitot tube.

regards,

Jack

• Like 9

8 hours ago, JackG said:

The Sword brand kit has you install four pieces inside the wheel wells, but I could only get one to fit, and even that lone piece is sitting on a slant.  I found they all stood too high and interfered with the fit of the top and bottom wing halves. 

That's as common problem with all the Sword Sptifires I've done.

Nice progress, by the way.

• Like 1

Thank you Beard.

Those wheel well parts could probably made to fit by sanding down the sides flat, as they all have a bevel to them that doesn't conform to the inside of the wings.

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

That's looking really good. Quite envious of your precise work and photos. Those bits for the wheels wells are more trouble than they're worth - I've left them off my Sword Seafire. Will be following!

Justin

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Well this one almost fell off the map, but not the work bench - sidetracked with some other things to do ...

... but I'm close to having the recon Spitfire done:

38319307664_b0059f3886_b.jpg

Here is the base coat of Hataka paints Royal Blue over a medium grey primer.  On the right is some lightened areas and gloss coat overall.

38998608152_e56cbbaf74_b.jpg

Decals, and further weathering.  Testors clear parts cement used to create a window surface over fuselage port side camera location.

25164266178_c881475f38_b.jpg

The two underside cameras, I will have to redo.  They are too close to the openings and that caused problems when attempting to create clear film. 

regards,

Jack

• Like 5