1/72 Eduard Hellcat

Hi all – here’s my second completion for the year, the Eduard 1/72 Hellcat.  I painted this one in the markings of Hellcat Mk.1 JW-321 from 804SQN, HMS Archer, Op Meridian, January 1945. I used the H-Model decals, set HMD72013.

I will confess upfront I know virtually nothing about these aircraft, so I built the kit out of the box, using what options I could see from the line drawing and photos of the aircraft in the decal instructions. If I had a tip for this build I would recommend the clear panels at the back of the cockpit be glued to the fuselage halves before they go together. I glued them in after the fuselage was closed and had all sorts of trouble getting them to fit properly due to interference from the head rest. This meant that the sliding section of the canopy didn’t fit properly, which I then made a mess of trying to attach…. Otherwise I can’t recommend this kit highly enough – fit and detail is excellent.

I followed the Eduard instructions for the colours – Eduard calls out a number of gunze paints for the camouflage (the H-Models instructions don’t give paint numbers), which I used, but to my eye they seem quite a bit off based on photos of other models that I have seen. Oh well.  I also realised after I took the photos that the gear doors are backwards – I have since fixed these….!  Weathering was done with oil paints and pastels.   

Hellcat002_zpssprhff9f.jpg

Hellcat003_zpsyycwd0mj.jpg

Hellcat004_zpsvx76aoky.jpg

Hellcat005_zps1amnte8v.jpg

Hellcat006_zpslimw5xso.jpg

Hellcat007_zpsqydklijk.jpg

Hellcat008_zpsrwzrggaj.jpg

Hellcat009_zpsx2n4zfa4.jpg

Hellcat001_zpshsnsmxeu.jpg

With all of my mistakes on this one I am glad just to have something off the bench.

Cheers,

Brad C

• Like 59
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

These came from american factories, using close but not exact american color matches. So they wouldn't be the same as say a seafire.

This depends on the factory,  Grumman used paint matched to British Ministry of Aircraft Production (MAP) specifications,  which were good matches. This was because they had previously built planes for the British which were purchased,  not Lend-Lease

Later the use of  equivalent colours came in,  which were US standard colours which were acceptable for the Brits,   a case the  Avenger,  the Grumman built planes (TBF) had British  specified paint, the Eastern built Avengers (TBM) had equivalent paint.

US colours used for TSS

Grumman used MAP colours, Eastern used ANA substitutes.

Grumman--Dark Slate Grey (FS 34096), Extra Dark Sea Grey (FS 36118), Sky (FS 34583).

Grumman used equivalent paint shades, ie colours that matched the official British colours and not substitutes ie colours that, while not matching British colours, were officially approved as being acceptable alternatives. The paint used by Grumman throughout the war on camouflaged British aircraft may not have been made in Britain but it was indistinguishable from paint that was.

Eastern-- Olive Drab ANA 613 (FS 34130), Sea Grey ANA 603 (FS 36173), Sky (FS 34504).

Sea Grey ANA 603 was British Extra Dark Sea Grey so wasn't a substitute as such.

Sky Type S Gray ANA 610 was meant to be equivalent to British TSS Sky as well but there was apparently a difference.

There was no ANA equivalent for Sky simply because at the time of the ANA consolidation it was not required by any service as a paint colour. 'Sky Type S Gray' (or Grey) was terminology used by Dupont for its Sky equivalent paint 71-021 and is nowhere near FS 36373 in appearance by any measure. British requirements for Sky under surfaces were commonly communicated and specified as 'Duck Egg Blue' rather than as any form of grey. The ANA 610 standard for Sky is close to FS 24424 and was retained until 1949 when it was superseded by FS 34424.

note FS595 is a post war US Government paint standard, and as such the matches quote are close, but not exact. (oft discussed point)

the above quote is from here, for more detail.

Note the only Hellcat producer was Grumman, so all  had MAP specified colours, until the switch to Gloss Sea Blue,  which was acceptable to the British,  so later FAA US Lend Lease planes were  overall Gloss Sea Blue.  (Wildcats,  Corsairs, Avengers, Hellcats)

18 hours ago, Brad Cancian said:

which I used, but to my eye they seem quite a bit off based on photos of other models that I have seen.

not a good thing to judge against!

factory fresh

30858203445_307c41d803_o.jpgR.N. Grumman F6F-3 Hellcat,1942. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

well used in the Pacific

2527541926_bbc702fb04_o.jpgHellcat by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

your weathering is really good, the panel lines are a bit too stark, but perhaps that's just the lighting?

Very neat work overall,  :goodjob: 

cheers

T

Edited by Troy Smith
tidying up, corrections
  • Like 4

That looks fine to me Brad, not with standing Troy's excellent advice, your colours are  OK ,  given photos & monitors, they surely don't jump up & smack you in the eye. All in all, it is a very smart piece of modelling.

Steve.

I think that is fantastic modelling in the Gentleman's scale, very nice indeed. My only negative comment would be that the panel liner you used is too stark to my eye, a lighter colour would still bring out the detail but hey, I'm nit picking, I'd be proud of a finish like that as it is.

Duncan B

Very nice! I really liked the weathering job.

I would like to point out that the wheel doors are interchanged. I´m sure it´s an easy fix if you want to do it. 

Please don´t take the wrong way my observation, your model looks awesome to me!

best regards.

Ignacio

• 1 month later...

Beautiful build, superb paint and weathering.  Pretty good photography too.

BUT - and I hate to have to say this - JW321 of 809 Sqdn was a Mk ll and not, as H-Models would have it, a Mk l

Now it can be difficult to distinguish the two variants, especially from certain views.  At least for FAA machines the matter is simplified by the serial.  According to the FAA Museum (at Yeovilton), serials up to JV 222 were  Mk l and thereafter Mk ll

And I think I can see how this error came about.  The B&W photo with the decal sheet shows the front of a Hellcat resplendent with white cowl and crest.  Though of rather poor quality (no criticism intended) is more or less identifiable as a Mk l: curved windscreen, rear windows, exhaust area of cowling etc.  No individual marking or serial visible as it's the 'front end'.

Now somewhere there must have been another view of an 809 Sqdn Hellcat at the rear showing serial, codes etc.  However from this veiw it's very hard to distinguish Mks unless one is aware of the significance of the serial.  It took me a while to establish the changeover of Mks via serials so H Models have my sympathy. So it would appear that this aircraft was assumed to be the same Mk as that in the B&W photo above.

Now here's a puzzle and a question.

MAM Sept 2005 shows a finished model of JW321 coded K*6J (804 Sqdn) vs K*6l (809 Sqdn) om the H-Model sheet.  Which is correct or was it re-coded/re-assigned ?  Both 'renderings' have it as with HMS Ameer.

It was common practice to paint an identification visible from the front.  Nothing on the cowl (according to the B&W photo), so presumably on the front u/c door, though not distinguishable in photo.  What, if anything, might have been painted?