I built a single seater, F80 Shooting Star some years ago and really enjoyed the build, and the finished plane is one of my favourites.

So then, I picked up the trainer version not so long ago, with a bit of a plan on my mind.

Because I came across Tangmere museum back in the summer when I was out for a drive around with a map. Not enough time for a proper visit inside, but several Aircraft sitting outside and some being worked on in the hangers.

And look what was in the middle of it...

IMG_20170801_140930

SO, gotta be worth having a go at this...

IMG_20171011_224410

Here's the F80 got out for reference and motivation 

IMG_20171011_224816

Don't think I have ever had a real airframe for reference before.

Think I need another visit and a "walk around" session.

• Like 4

I built the same T-33. It was one of my 1st builds when i came back to modeling 3 yrs. ago. I did mine as a T-33 hack for a SAC Unit circa late’60’s early/mid 70’s. If you want i could post a few pix of it ? The build was for the most part good except around the wing join on the lower fuselage. Decals were horrid. I wound up using some old monogram F-80 national markings and U.S.AIR FORCE side panels from an F-86D kit. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
Added
  • Like 1

I'm always in a bit of a rush to get the fuselage joined up and then I can get on with sorting out the seams and get foiling.

But there's an issue with the Shooting Star around the intakes. Insides need foil, and the intake doors need doing before installation and the big join up.

IMG_20171013_213920

Also, a piece of exterior panel in front of each intake that the fence sits over.

IMG_20171013_214218IMG_20171013_214438

Gun- ports need the blanking plates fitting, front wheel well and the jet tail pipe installed, and a chunk of milliput for balance, and we're good to go!

IMG_20171013_224337

Seats etc can go in much later.

IMG_20171013_225302

Right! Let's go...

• Like 4

There's a lump moulded on to each side of the fuselage, on what I suppose to be the gun bays on the F80 fighter. I've removed them and foiled the panels smooth.

The plan is to recreate this type of vent,

IMG_20171014_143740

Strangely, it's what is illustrated on the Box art for the kit - definitely not what is supplied in plastic.

I had a go at making a vent out of foil, but it's a bit faint. If I can enhance it, it may be OK, or else I'll try a thicker Ali, like a pie dish.

Also a little disappointed to find the air brakes are just etched on the wing underside! 

After some consideration (may be not enough!) I decided to have a go at them.

IMG_20171014_143634

So, out with the Stanley knife...

IMG_20171016_001402

IMG_20171016_001608

Fitting the wheel well box helps to give some structure back, and a dry assembly looks like this,

IMG_20171016_002031

I need to build a box inside with a partition, actuator arms and remodel the doors.

Gotta be worth the effort though.

• Like 2

Right. Faint Heart never.....

IMG_20171016_212325

IMG_20171016_214035

IMG_20171016_215018

Another dry fit, make sure I haven't done anything daft.

IMG_20171016_215046

IMG_20171016_215125

Like they say, a man on a galloping horse wouldn't notice!

I'm not a great one for posing my models on a mirror.😃 

Edited by rob Lyttle
  • Like 3

Yeah, I noticed that in the pictures. I thought I ought to rise to the challenge. My hobbyboss F80 came with deployable brakes so I already have an example for reference.

And I thought if I'm going to do it, I'd better get the cutting and boxing done now, while I can get to it.

I've actually glued the wing underside to the fuselage now, to get the surfaces aligned.

Then I can fit the upper wings aligned with the fuselage sides, and make any adjustments necessary between!!!

Tired of having big steps to sort out.

I'm calling this - PLAN B ....

• Like 1

PLAN B;

So, I managed to relieve the aileron and trim surface on the port wing, to get a little bit of movement (down), and then assembly using the method outlined - concentrating on getting a flush surface on top.

IMG_20171017_225307

A little sliver of styrene - an offcut from scratching the airbrakes Box - was just right for holding the leading edge open to make the joint good.

IMG_20171017_225436

A fraction of a gap to deal with later, but it looks OK - and flush - to me so far.

May try this again sometime!

Edited by rob Lyttle
more
  • Like 2

Just tried it again.

Both wings assembled. Slight issue with the panel lines for the ailerons not exactly matching top and bottom, but all considering, I'm glad I tried this.

Fox4, you said you had a bit of trouble with the fit of the wings, which made me look twice at the situation.👍

Would this have helped, or were you dealing with another aspect of the fit?

• Like 1

It might have helped if you look at the photo. In it you can see on the bottom where the wings look sunk in to the fuselage. I used plastic strip to help shift the wings but still had some minor variations on the bottom of the fuselage. The rear line matches the Fuselage split for engine maintenance. The front doesn't. 

7Ap41SQ.jpg

Hope that helps

I cut and pasted here so you dont have to go back & forth between the two threads. 

GWH = Great Wall Hobbies. Yeah i still have most of that decal set. My situation may have been unique Rob. My decals sat in storage for 11 years before i used them. For a small period of that time in what was less than desirable storage. You could try one of the korean or Luftwaffe decals as a test

• Like 1

Good idea for the decal sheet .

The sheet does look like it's in great condition - still bagged.

They are a strange mystery sometimes.

You can have an ancient, yellowish sheet from a 30 year old kit, and they work perfectly.

Then, the latest product breaks up before your very eyes .

Still, I guess we'd get bored if every thing went perfectly!

• Like 1

I find the worst decals are the thinnest. When a company thinks they're doing the modeler a favor by giving us a super thin decal, with  a minimal surround so they lay flat and wont silver. Those kind either disintegrate or curl and get ruined. Some people trash monogram and other manufacturers but i never once had any problems with there decals. Ive probably made about  a 150 of them since i was 9. The T-33 of mine is an example of this the tail codes and stars & bars are from the old monogram kit of the F-80. I built that f-80 in 1988. And not a problem in 2014 when i did my T-33. 

Added

Well, a bit of progress on the T33.

Getting a bit of foil on and I'm pleased with the way the wing -fuselage join has worked out.

This is not my usual way of putting things together. And usually I've got surfaces protected by Ali from the effects of glue coming out of joints.

But I didn't make too much of a mess, and a flush match up of the surfaces.

IMG_20171019_234928

IMG_20171019_235021

IMG_20171019_234853

I'm hoping the underside goes well too. It feels OK.

Starting to think about overlays of kitchen foil in places. I'm not seeing anything as pronounced in appearance as the Sabre wing, but I'm looking through my walk- around photos.

IMG_20171014_143227

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

How are you set for research material ? I happen to live a few miles from an T-33,

Well, I've found this example at Tangmere museum, which is reasonably close by.

IMG_20171014_144505

Apparently, it was with the French AF- that's where the blue paint underside originates - with a Spanish built RR engine. Came back to UK and stood as a gate guard at a USAF base.

Theres no connection to Tangmere history, and I think they'd quite like to get rid of it, and use their limited space more appropriately for their purpose.

IMG_20171014_143215

Do you recognise the emblem that remains on the tail?

kind of Statue of Liberty graphics that looks familiar.

So, she's not an example that I'm going to copy, but I've got a good selection of walkaround pictures for general airframe information.

The one near you, is it in good shape and well preserved?

• Like 2

Its in decent shape its painted a Dark silver/steel color for preservation. I believe it carries the 49th Fighter Interceptor Squadron markings out of Griffiss Air Force Base in the 60’s -70’s. Not much sense there since im in chicago. But maybe it has a history with the unit as a hack. The cockpit is intact and visible through the canopy. Canopy is slightly crazed from the sun light. But not to bad. Cockpit is accessible for photos since there is a viewing stand for the public to climb up to use. Thats what i can think of off the top of my head. I havent been there in a year or so but im pretty sure its still there. Hope that gives you an idea. 

As for the Statue of liberty patch, it belongs to the 48th Fighter Wing out of Lakenheath. I did find a couple of photos while looking for the patch. There two T-33’s with blue bellys and white uppers with the 48th Fighter interceptor squadron out of Connecticut. I think someone crossed wires and mixed Squadron and wing markings together when they painted yours. I cant repost the photo’s as they're from a Facebook page. But i could email them if you are interested ? 

Additional

I'd like to see them. If you paste them here the site sends an email anyway, but I can pm you the e.address.

That sounds interesting background info.

I wonder if she's been doing gate duty- at lakenheath? All kinds of action has taken off from there over the years!

I bet the canopy looks similar to this,

IMG_20171014_144021

I am not going overboard with historical accuracy of an airframe, I won't be searching out another aftermarket decor scheme here.

I got enough to work with, what is with the kit, what's left on the F86 sheets from AeroMaster, and the rest of the spares box.

IMG_20171020_223545

Been getting a bit of foil. This was an interesting manoeuvre over the top and around the fin. Thought I'd better document it with a few pictures - I'll put them up with an explanation shortly 

• Like 1

Should have said this earlier. Since youve got yours done maybe it will help someone else. But for fillets like that on tails and wings i cut a triangle of foil. It lays better then you can trim it once its in place. 

I think that's pretty much what I just done - have a look...

IMG_20171020_223252

i got the fin covered, and the"saddle" that sits on the fuselage.

Then I got one piece to go over the fuselage, but split to go either side of the saddle.

Likewise underneath, the triangle fillets that run back from the trailing edge got covered first, then the main panel applied"around " them....

IMG_20171020_234541

IMG_20171020_234614

is that the kinda triangle type application you mean?

• Like 2