Pigments - pastel vs real stuff

Cromm Cruac

Guys, I've been doing the weathering using pastel pigments and PVC glue/water solution for a while now as they are cheaper. The problem I experience is that although they built up nicely they tend to darken as soon as I apply a coat of the matt varnish over them. See the picture - the pigment on the left is just PVC coated, the right hand side is matt varnish coated. It looks like the varnish dissolves them a little and the lighter tones disappear.

86929435212790225233.jpg

I was thinking about moving on to real Vallejo or MiG pigments. My question is, do they darken as well or stay the same are after varnish application?

Edited by Cromm Cruac
  • Like 1

I have no experience but would absolutely expect the same behaviour since you fill up the structure of the surface you just created. I always thought pigments were simply applied onto a moist surface and left as is. Am I wrong there?

This of course wouldn't work an models that are handled a lot after finishing. I think in this case after creating the structure and sealing it a touch up with paint is unavoidable.

Well, when I make washes from the pastels, the dissolve completely leaving just coloured water and some residue. I guess that's why they react with varnish as well. I just hope that real pigments are not and after drying up they retain their colour and graininess. But before I start buying them I'd like to know for sure. Otherwise it would be simply a waste of monies.