New 1/48th Scale Blenheim Announced by Airfix!!

tonyot

11 minutes ago, Aeronut said:

Has anyone else noticed that instead of their own 1:48 back catalogue Airfix appear to be revisiting that of Special Hobby. (Walrus, Sea Fury and now Blenhiem)

Oops I meant Classic Airframes. I must Czech what I type before posting. 

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Aeronut said:

Has anyone else noticed that instead of their own 1:48 back catalogue Airfix appear to be revisiting that of Special Hobby. (Walrus, Sea Fury and now Blenhiem)

6 minutes ago, Aeronut said:

A few years ago it seemed to be the Dynavector range with the Javelin & Sea Vixen, it's a shame they didn't keep going and do the Scimitar & Gannet too, alas they got beaten to the Wyvern by Trumpeter.

Can see them releasing the Typhoon in 1/48 eventually maybe, would really love a Mk II Tempest one day.  I guess that would be a bit much to ask though, still chuffed with this release!

14 minutes ago, AntPhillips said:

A few years ago it seemed to be the Dynavector range with the Javelin & Sea Vixen, it's a shame they didn't keep going and do the Scimitar & Gannet too, alas they got beaten to the Wyvern by Trumpeter.

Do forget their lovely Hornet!

55 minutes ago, Aeronut said:

Classic Airframes also did a Defiant and Meteor F.8 in 1/48, which Airfix have supplanted with a new kits. Now if we could just get Airfix to produce new 1/48 kits of the Vampire, Venom/Sea Venom, Gannet, Hornet/Sea Hornet, Whirlwind fighter, Fairey Battle, and Martin Baltimore ....

Edited by VMA131Marine
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Dave Batt said:

I drooleth!!!   (Any chance we might actually see this one in the shops, Airfix?)

I'm a bit confused by that as everything Airfix have released that I've wanted I've been able to get very soon after. There is one particular retailer not too far from me that gets Hornby and Scaletrix in immediately but only orders a new kit when people have asked for it. Then moans that 'warmongers' never return to buy them when they finally arrive months later delivered from the follow up shipment. If retailers without direct accounts can get them brick and mortar shops who can deal direct have no excuses. 

Compare the fact that this shop hasn't got the first P-40 in yet while another 15 miles away has two left from their first order which was huge (I was there when it arrived) and I got the first new purchase from the fifth carton after they'd set aside the pre-orders.

I really believe that when a company shows ANY perceived or real weakness then customers will blame them for everything rather than deal with the issues they create. 

Until recently distribution driving was my job and I have heard variations of 'Took you long enough to get them' when delivering stuff somewhere for the first time that we'd been delivering elsewhere for weeks.

EDIT: VMA131 you took the thoughts from my head. 1/48 Vampire T.11 should be easy enough. It was used as a trainer by air-forces who never operated combat types as well as everybody who did (I think).  

YES! Definitely flying home to roost in my stash.

I assumed that after their Walrus, the next announcement would be a 'safe' choice, so I'm VERY pleased with this. :thumbsup:

Thanks Airfix, may your moulds never go cold.

1 hour ago, Blitz23 said:

Can see them releasing the Typhoon in 1/48 eventually maybe, would really love a Mk II Tempest one day.  I guess that would be a bit much to ask though, still chuffed with this release!

Don't you like the look of the Eduard Tempest? 

1 hour ago, VMA131Marine said:

Classic Airframes also did a Defiant and Meteor F.8 in 1/48, which Airfix have supplanted with a new kits. Now if we could just get Airfix to produce new 1/48 kits of the Vampire, Venom/Sea Venom, Gannet, Hornet/Sea Hornet, Whirlwind fighter, Fairey Battle, and Martin Baltimore ....

No Hornet\Sea Hornet, Whirlwind fighter, or Baltimore I'm afraid.  No extant examples or plans.

18 minutes ago, Denford said:

No Hornet\Sea Hornet, Whirlwind fighter, or Baltimore I'm afraid.  No extant examples or plans.

Well they are beginning to restore a DH Hornet to airworthiness in NZ! Substantial parts recovered from Canada and elsewhere Per Classic Wings  magazine.

• Like 1

1/48 isn't my scale at all, but I may have to buy one of these! Nice choice Airfix....they'll sell out very quickly.

I will say though that reading the workbench article, I was keeping my fingers crossed for a 1/24 Blenheim...I would have been really excited about that!