Another Do18

Hi Tony,

Welcome to the GB! A Do 18 is a nice choice to add to the other similar builds going on. It's always good to see different approaches to the same kit :)

Good luck!

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

I've assembled the bulk of the model now, filled and sanded seams and what nots and hit it with a bit of primer. Taking a long, hard look at it, I find that I can't carry on with plan A, the simple build sat on a simple base. The kit needs help.

The shape looks good to me, very graceful and of that happy period before the big punch up started. I like it a lot. The trench like panel lines are a bit overpowering though. Filling and re-scribing is an option that does not exactly fill me with joy, it has to be said. I have a pack get out of jail cards I use in situations like this, and I'm now going to use one of them to backdate the build somewhat. I'll finish the build as a sort of solid scale/Woodason type model. A model of a model in fact!

I'll have to take myself back in time a bit, much like this desktop picture I set up a few years ago, all period stuff in this case. I'll be aiming at a decently finished wooden kit look for this current Dornier.

IMG_0907.jpg

You didn't get much in the box way back in the days before plastic, as seen in the picture below, and you were pretty much on your own as far a references go. A copy of Aircraft of the Fighting Powers out of the library would be luxury for a modeller back then.

IMG_7550.jpg

I'll be cherry picking suitable period tips, styles and even some materials for my build. There's also going to be a fair bit of current tech used as well, glues, paints, plastic card etc. You can take this nostalgia thing too far sometimes! 

That's todays update filed, a decision has been made and work in that direction started. Epic stuff.

More pictures as it happens,

Tony.

• Like 3

Progress so far...

IMG_2171.jpg

IMG_2173.jpg

Trenches filled, and a whole lot of rubbing down commences. Fill, sand, repeat. This is the boring bit, paint will follow soon enough, along with a bit of period detailing. A couple of different display ideas are forming, more info as it unfolds at this end.

When the model is in bare primer, it starts looking very much like a wartime ID model.

I built a few in that style last year. I had a few less than perfect built kits with bits missing, silvered decals, etc etc. I filled and rubbed them right down and hit them with a bit of satin black aerosol.

They looked the part to me, especially when sat on a couple of cheapo paper spikes.

IMG_7935.jpg

IMG_7939.jpg

The Dornier could end up like this if I manage to cock up the build running at the moment. See what I mean about Get out of Jail cards!

Tony.

• Like 6

Not much to report today, more filling and sanding. Yawn.

I dug out a copy of Aircraft of the Fighting Powers from 1941. The Dornier makes an appearance and gets a bit of a pasting for being out of date, an easy target and generally not a lot of cop. I guess in 1941 the Germans were never going to get much praise from a UK publication.

The plans look impressive but the few pictures provided contradict them in a few places. The pictures look to have seen a bit of airbrushing, so it's all of passing interest only really.

IMG_2174.jpg

IMG_2176.jpg

IMG_2177.jpg

I've also been messing around with one possible display idea. There's the beginnings of a Lufthansa Travel Agent display here. Or not.

We shall see. There are a couple more ideas to try yet, but I'm waiting of an Ebay delivery or two before I can give them a go.

IMG_2179.jpg

More later.

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 4

Your idea of an ID model looks good, as well as using it like in a travel agency display.

Great pictures in the book!

Cheers

Jaime

The real world got in the way of modelling for a bit, back on track now though. Returning home found an envelope on the mat containing a 1939 Readers Digest map of the Atlantic...

IMG_2181.jpg

Initial thoughts were to hack it up and mount part of it on a curved backdrop base for the Dornier. Now it's here I can see that the map is a fair old size, and that it might look even better used whole on the back of a display case with appropriate models inside. I have an Airfix Sunderland and Catalina that would look good in front of the map, for instance.

There's also part of me that struggles with damaging something that has survived in one bit since 1939! Cutting the map up feels wrong now it's here. Copying any required sections is an option I guess. I'll be having a think over this one for a while...

Tony.

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 4

Hi Tony,

I think it would be a shame to cut such a beautiful map with almost 80 years old. Your idea of using it for a larger display with period flying boats sounds excellent!

Cheers

Jaime

8 hours ago, TonyW said:

There's also part of me that struggles with damaging something that has survived in one bit since 1939! Cutting the map up feels wrong now it's here. Copying any required sections is an option I guess. I'll be having a think over this one for a while...

I'm with you on cutting up that map.   I like your display case idea.... could you have the map inside the display case but with the bottom of the map on the bottom of the case, then a nice curve allowing it to flow up the back of the display case?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, hendie said:

I'm with you on cutting up that map.   I like your display case idea.... could you have the map inside the display case but with the bottom of the map on the bottom of the case, then a nice curve allowing it to flow up the back of the display case?

I think that's the way forward with the map.

B+Q sell sheets of pre scored MDF board that takes a curve very well. The map could be mounted on a sheet or two built to fit. 

• Like 1

Here's an old FROG 1.96 scale airliner set on a BEA route map, giving an idea of how the Atlantic map might get used with the Dornier.

I restored the plane from a rather beat to death built model and now it displays OK for me.

IMG_0756.jpg

• Like 5

A bit of silver paint applied, just to see how things look. Rattle can silver, over white car primer.

IMG_2225.jpg

There's a bit of sinking going on. Curses. Some of the panel lines are peeking through here and there. I'll leave the model in the warm overnight and take another look in the morning.

Tony.

• Like 3

I've mocked the globe and plane up a dozen times, trying to find a way forward. it looks good for a minute, then somehow looses balance and the globe starts to dominate things.

It's early days yet, I've yet to try out the map in any way. It's always possible neither option will work here. Fooling around, trying ideas is a nice way to spend a bit of hobby time though.

IMG_2231.jpg

• Like 3

On 21/10/2017 at 11:37 PM, hendie said:

I dunno if I'm entirely sold on the globe option.  (purely a personal opinion)

What about half a globe ?

or half a globe coming out of the map? (not the good map though)

Half a globe could well work, well spotted that man! It would be more in proportion with the plane, dominating it less. 

The globe shown is also an old one going by some of the country's shown. I can't hack that up, I'll have a look around to see if I can find anything else that fits the bill.

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 1

Got a bit more done on the Dornier.

Decals on now, no problems to report. Red band painted onto the tail and a bit of artistic license used where the swastika should be. I'm not comfortable with the thing. I can respect a desire for authenticity and historic accuracy, but don't ever use them on my builds. My compromise has been to use a Lufthansa logo, that was on the Matchbox decal sheet, in the middle of a white circle on the fin. It works for me.

IMG_2264.jpg

I've pencilled in a few panel lines on the wing top and made a start on the glazed areas. I'm using black paint here, it helps with the simple look I'm after. A couple of clear plastic discs have been pressed into service as running props and look like they will work just fine.

The plane is shown flying over a gigantic tin of Humbrol paint, just off the coast of Brazil!

More later.

Tony.

Edited by TonyW
Punctuation.
  • Like 3