Revell Routemaster any tips?

Soloturk

Hello all,

Anyone who has built the 1/24 Revell Routemaster is there any tips to building it it? I feel like taking this on but I have never built any vehicle kits. I've mostly built a handful of airline models and often I've had tips on ignoring sections in the instructions and doing things differently to make it 10 times easier. 

Can the this be built following the instructions in order? Is it best to paint the panels before gluing it together? Or is it best to paint it once it's all put together?

I'd quite like to do this one

RML 2716 (CT) at Piccadilly Circus. Saturday 21st April 2001. 394-35.

Any help appreciated!

I built the bus when it was first released. The thing to watch before you get very far is matching the seat decals to the seats. There is one extra seat but no spare decals. As the seats are handed (left and right) it is all too easy to finish up with seat you need and no decal. I noticed in the nick-of-time. The outer panels were painted before attaching to the body. I used plastic card to fit inside the advertising panels on the sides of the bus and then add the decals to the flat surface. This is how it was done on the real thing, the posters were attached to hardboard panels.

You also need to be spot on with aligning the outer panels to avoid hard to cure gaps at the end of the job. Good Luck - Alan

Thanks Alan! I picked this up at the Yeovilton show when it was on for £20, seemed to recall thinking it was a bargain because it came with etched brass, a small LT red paint pot and I think an extra seat decal as extras. Its in the attic at the moment so haven't checked but I seem to recall the bloke telling me he did ask Revell for an extra decal to be sent, might have been more than one but I'll see when I get it down.

Thanks for the plasticard tip too, I shall try to remember to do that :)

rayprit - thanks for that link! Looks amazing with lights! I'd love to try something like that, will have a look around for LEDs

Having started this kit a while back ( about 2 years ago ) and getting most parts off the sprues and cleaned up , I would recommend starting the seats and frames first , put a good film on or some music get a few beers in and crack on , with each seat mark up on the underneath with a permanent marker what it is via the instructions , this part of the prep work is brain numbing , well it was for me !

saying that I`m not knocking it , I paid £28 for this kit and for the size of the box and the amount of sprues you get its fantastic value .

Richy

• 3 years later...