Royal Navy 2nd and 3rd Phantom squadrons ?

Robert

13 hours ago, 71chally said:

That is a bit of a misnomer, the AN-APS-20F fitted to the Gannet was actually a new version of the set, and not taken from Skyraiders.  These were removed and fitted to Shackletons, with some further mods.

There was a proposal for a Gannet AEW airframe with an AWACS style rotodome and twin fins.  More likely this would have seen service from British carriers than a Hawkeye, though the Navy succesfuly embraced rotary AEW

I stand corrected on the provenance of the sets, and I apologize for the mistake.

I did check several references on the F variant of the AN/APS-20 and in any case it seem to be a system that the USN considered obsolescent in the early '60s.... now we're talking early '70s if we consider FAA Phantoms, it's true the the E-2A had reliability problems in the beginning but by the time the E-2C was in service there was very little with better performance around in terms of radar.

Regarding the proposed variant of the Gannet, we don't know if this would have worked or not. Considering that again in this whif scenario the FAA fields Phantoms, we have to assume that the idea of spending money on an indigenous program with no sure success would have been hardly considered (although the RAF actually did the same with the Nimrod AEW...)

31 minutes ago, junglierating said:

What he said plus other stuff ;)

Please do tell us about the other stuff ! I'd be the first interested in knowing why several countries in the '70s preferred the APS-125 to the APS-20F if the latter was such a superior system

Edited by Giorgio N

Cost,in service modifications and 'put up shut up its all you are getting so make the best of it' bit like today really.

Still as its a what if then anything goes:smile:

As for indegenious design ...umm sea king AEW now AsACs appears to be doing ok ....its getting fitted to Merlin....although im not a fan of that platform.....put up shut up its all you are getting again lol

Edited by junglierating

23 hours ago, junglierating said:

Cost,in service modifications and 'put up shut up its all you are getting so make the best of it' bit like today really.

Still as its a what if then anything goes:smile:

As for indegenious design ...umm sea king AEW now AsACs appears to be doing ok ....its getting fitted to Merlin....although im not a fan of that platform.....put up shut up its all you are getting again lol

Hmm.... what he said was simply that the Gannet used a new build radar. And I've yet to read any of the other stuff... meaning that I've not seen mentioned any real reason why the Ganner was superior to the E-2... And I have a feeling that I'm not going to read any ;)