Phantom F4K

Here's my first contribution 

resized_c425b7bb-5dad-47dc-8f27-a613de27

only only one option to go for. 892 Squadron from HMS Ark Royal from 1969. 

resized_fc1a45fe-e2da-424b-8761-217566a4

Sprues  Classic three colour Matchbox

resized_7ef494bc-2032-4a02-833e-7f8cad5b

Instructions

resized_763b9c2c-541a-45da-9643-97381447

Transfers

resized_a2ffdfbb-8f21-4a05-9db8-cb08e310

Off we go, tether to waist catapult and wind up the Speys. 

• Like 16

What a Ballsy subject choice, seeing that the Airfix kit will be released in (hopefully) a few months time. 

If I'm right, this may have been the first 'true' Spey engined Phantom kit made available to the modelling masses (I believe the Frog / Hasegawa kit was a modified J - I could be wrong here?). 

I hope you will be using those kit supplied ladders, which if true to scale would have required the poor crew to have hands the size of gorillas !!

Best of luck with the build and yet another kit that I'll be looking forward to seeing come alive.

Cheers.. Dave   

• Like 1

Watching with interest.

This looks to be the initial version with the squashed cockpit canopy? I believe Matchbox tweaked it later and reboxed it as a grey scheme bird.

Will you be correcting the nose area or going straight out of the box?

Trevor

Beat me to it - Was wondering to do the same one although I'd planned on the RAF version as I've got an Eggplane derived 892Sq one already.

IMHO the eggplane had a better shaped nose than the Matchbox one...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

What a Ballsy subject choice, seeing that the Airfix kit will be released in (hopefully) a few months time. 

If I'm right, this may have been the first 'true' Spey engined Phantom kit made available to the modelling masses (I believe the Frog / Hasegawa kit was a modified J - I could be wrong here?). 

I hope you will be using those kit supplied ladders, which if true to scale would have required the poor crew to have hands the size of gorillas !!

Best of luck with the build and yet another kit that I'll be looking forward to seeing come alive.

Cheers.. Dave   

Thanks Dave. I think it was the first Spey version. The Fujimi, which is probably the most accurate British Phantom, was a bit later I think. 

2 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Watching with interest.

This looks to be the initial version with the squashed cockpit canopy? I believe Matchbox tweaked it later and reboxed it as a grey scheme bird.

Will you be correcting the nose area or going straight out of the box?

Trevor

I didn't realise there was a canopy issue. I may just live with it, I do have another in storage so can always see if a swap is possible. I will have a look at the nose and see what is achievable with putty but life's too short for too much work. I think the ladders may be left off. I think there more appropriate for getting between the decks of the ship rather than into the cockpit of one of Her Majesty's expensive jets. 

2 hours ago, Bonhoff said:

Beat me to it - Was wondering to do the same one although I'd planned on the RAF version as I've got an Eggplane derived 892Sq one already.

IMHO the eggplane had a better shaped nose than the Matchbox one...

Will be good to see the RAF version build alongside this one. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

I was hoping one of these would turn up,takes me right back to 1976,hot summer night's,sailor on TV and this kit and the Buccaneer on the 

table.

IIRC The Summer of '76 was an absolute scorcher in the UK. I'm sure I have a Revell boxing of the Matchbox Buccaneer somewhere. So I could turn up the central heating, find my sound s of the summer CD and we are back there. The only thing missing is my youth. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Rob G said:

And your hair?

:o

Nope, I've still got a full head of hair.

• Like 1

On 14/10/2017 at 9:56 AM, Rob G said:

Lucky you.

Albeit with a bit of grey.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got off and going. The plastic was a bit 'sticky'. I presumed it was mould release or similar so the sprues were chopped up and given a clean in my ultrasonic bath. Apart from the fuselage sides which are too big. They were cleaned with washing up liquid and water. 

Got some white paint on a few bits. The plan is to spray the white eventually using Halfords appliance white, but I thought a base/primer of Citadel white would be a good start for some parts. The plastic colours of black, brown and even the white are challenging to get an even colour. Also, despite the mouldings being in good shape, there were a few sink markka and some intrusive ejector pins that will have to be dealt with. The panel lines, etc. are fairly restrained for Matchbox so shouldn't pose a problem. 

resized_aaeb2792-9882-44b7-8b89-b27a0e8f

resized_1497991c-7ef8-4d6e-bd1b-d81a5934

I'll probably knock up some seat harnesses from tamiya tape. Anybody know the colour at this time? Was it the grubby light blue? Or some other colour?

• Like 5

Ive done bits and pieces on this as well put on some paint. Also filled in a number of the sink holes and smoothed them off. At the point now to start glueing things together. 

The ejection seats aren't great and I'm keen to make this pure OOB in keeping with the Matchbox memories I have. However, I've fashioned up harnesses from Tamiya tape painted a brownish colour (courtesy of Citadel) which seemed to be the colour I saw when using Mr Google. They'll do for now.

resized_25d2bd95-338e-4a1c-bdbc-472ac482resized_25d2bd95-338e-4a1c-bdbc-472ac482

• Like 4

Cockpit in 

resized_7d0bb375-69ad-4216-8466-66b8bde2

resized_55e394e9-e794-42f7-b573-9a69ddf5

And fuselage closed up. Went together pretty well and although a small amount filler will be needed, not at all much required. A little bit of sanding of the upper fuselage joint was needed. 

resized_68ed25e1-e654-48b3-937e-de8c2524

resized_5f643d66-e629-46f9-bd95-ad61c102

• Like 3

Wings on now. A piece of sprue was needed as a spreader on the middle section but otherwise fine.

resized_1b5e2809-f645-49c5-b226-c79e664e

i also attacked the fin, literally as the plastic was pretty hard, to remove the RWR for an earlier version. 

resized_969ed7a4-d241-4724-acf1-31bf8f74

I was was going to add the tailplanes. In the instructions it shows options of two types, one set for the FAA version and another for the RAF version. In the box however, there are only two. But, and it's a big but. They are both the starboard planes, one from each version it seems. Pause for a I think. The F4K version seems a little smaller so hopefully I can sand  the other to shape and reverse the locating tag. 

resized_850f9e82-06ee-420a-8bfe-0a2b917a

• Like 5

How strange to have two Starboard tailplanes and no port ones? 

Did you buy this kit 2nd hand?, perhaps the previous owner has been at play here.

It would be hard to think that this is how it came straight out of the factory, however stranger things have happened I suppose.

Cheers and looking great so far... Dave   

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 6:31 PM, Brad said:

Interesting, I just got this model. I may join in too.

C'mon Brad.... the more the merrier. 

Let's see your F-4 and get on board.. 

Cheers.. Dave 

23 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

How strange to have two Starboard tailplanes and no port ones? 

Did you buy this kit 2nd hand?, perhaps the previous owner has been at play here.

It would be hard to think that this is how it came straight out of the factory, however stranger things have happened I suppose.

Cheers and looking great so far... Dave   

C'mon Brad.... the more the merrier. 

Let's see your F-4 and get on board.. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Strange indeed Dave. It's been in the stash for some time and may well have been picked up second hand. Everything else is in the box and just about everything was still on the sprue. A few random things were partly detached but they didn't look deliberate in any way. It is strange indeed. 

• 2 weeks later...

Intakes on. Needed a tiny bit of light sanding to get a tight fit.

resized_bd89d0d7-2949-4d15-a492-33f97472

Not a bad fit for a 40 year old mould. 

resized_0ee2c2aa-7912-4e79-a28e-23ae4db2

• Like 5