Scratch building... scale?

Hi All,

I have a few years of plastic model building under my belt, but have built relative few ships/ subs. With the interest now pointing to a long-term project of scratch building, mainly a diesel-electric British sub. I have what I consider, a good set of drawings but the question is what scale? I'd like to scratch build must of it but if my skills are not up to the small stuff, what scale has the best range for things like guns/ mounts, anchors/ chains etc? 

Regards,

Stuart

I would suggest 1/192 would be a good scale to consider if you had large-ish in mind. The r/c modellers tend to stick to certain scales (1/72 being another) for just the same reason. If you had something smaller in mind, then same argument applies but arguably to 1/350 and/or 1/700 scale.

2 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I would suggest 1/192 would be a good scale to consider if you had large-ish in mind. The r/c modellers tend to stick to certain scales (1/72 being another) for just the same reason. If you had something smaller in mind, then same argument applies but arguably to 1/350 and/or 1/700 scale.

1/72 would be a bit big but  1/192 scale would be nice size if it was 'stand alone', it would make my T Class sub 17"-18" long. But, as is my way, I'd want to build others, including ships and 1/350 would be better as a collection.

What is the AM range like in this scale?

There are plenty of companies that do 1/350 AM sets. Just googling Atlantic Models 1/350; Flyhawk 1/350, or L'Arsenal 1/350. There's even 3d printed AM available. It's just a matter of scrolling through until you find something you need (guns, binnacle, mooring bits etc)

Tom

• Like 1

On 12/10/2017 at 6:26 PM, Modelholic said:

There are plenty of companies that do 1/350 AM sets. Just googling Atlantic Models 1/350; Flyhawk 1/350, or L'Arsenal 1/350. There's even 3d printed AM available. It's just a matter of scrolling through until you find something you need (guns, binnacle, mooring bits etc)

Tom

That's fine but much depends on the subject you wish to model. As with many things there are plenty of after market items for WW2 Naval surface ships but not so much for other eras. And scratch building normally implies a desire to model a subject not readily available in kit form which would limit after market items. 

I am currently experimenting with 3d modelling using Sketchup so that I can get 3d prints from Shapeways. I have discovered it is easier to model at the larger scales due to limitations in the printing material.