1/48 - Sukhoi Su-17/22UM-3K "Fitter-G" by Kitty Hawk - released

Homebee

8 hours ago, exdraken said:

KH sprues look like su h a verdion was planned, and now we want it!

The fuselage was cut in three sections in order to do the single/dual-seaters options and show the engine. If an R-29 boxing had been intended the middle fuselage section would have stopped at the rear of the wing box. Yet KH could perhaps do one by making a new "mid & rear fuselage sections sprue". And the under fuselage profile could be fixed at the same time.

Edited by Laurent
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Seriously! What are the chances for this? They have already made the Su-17/-22UM3K and now lean back in the armchair and say OK we can take it out from the “Kits to be made” list. For those few dozen Tumansky engined aircraft ever built there is no sensible business reason to make the expensive tools! KH in this case simply got rid of the problem by including a Tumansky engined version on the decal sheet. An easy (and stupid) solution for them!

The only place where I see a real chance for a Tumansky engine Su-17 / Su-22 is in the line of Modelsvit 72nd scale kits. With the short run technology and good kit brakedown planning they are using it is possible make an “economic” production of a less known aircraft type. (Have a look at the latest Mirage 4000 kit they have made Modelsvit kit ID 72052).

Best regards

Gabor

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, ya-gabor said:

Seriously! What are the chances for this? They have already made the Su-17/-22UM3K and now lean back in the armchair and say OK we can take it out from the “Kits to be made” list. For those few dozen Tumansky engined aircraft ever built there is no sensible business reason to make the expensive tools! KH in this case simply got rid of the problem by including a Tumansky engined version on the decal sheet. An easy (and stupid) solution for them!

The only place where I see a real chance for a Tumansky engine Su-17 / Su-22 is in the line of Modelsvit 72nd scale kits. With the short run technology and good kit brakedown planning they are using it is possible make an “economic” production of a less known aircraft type. (Have a look at the latest Mirage 4000 kit they have made Modelsvit kit ID 72052).

Best regards

Gabor

hmmmm...... did not know the problem of the rear fuselage break....not good definitely!

only a fey dozen you, say, but some of the most interesting Fitters out there (save the Su-20 maybe ;) )

Peru, Libyia, Iraq, Hungary, Syria, .....

am am alos hoping for a M and M2 one day.... never stop hoping ;)

On ‎28‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 9:08 PM, madcop said:

I suppose that  Uncle Uncool  still hold the best nose shape by far also , but not only that , the meanest tongue as well ! 

KH scre..d it up ... that's all !

Madcop :angry:

Relax, bloke... My nose is of the Scandinavian sort - tiny and straight. ;)

:blink2: Oh? Me's sorry, but what's with Hobbit Boobs' effort then, I wonder...? Go check what they did not only with the nose shape, but also with the whole forward fuselage - it's even worse than that in the old Oez kit!

I've built the KoPro offer a lifetime ago, and now that there's a much better kit out there, I would certainly bash the KoPro kit up completely to use the rear fuselage section on that kit, to graft it onto this version of the Kitty Hawk kit - if I ever were to build a Tumansky R29-powered aircraft. What would you use as a base for yours, the Hubert Bobs one...? Sure you'd first have to blow the whole fuselage section to High Heaven just in order to try and correct its awful shape inaccuracies, and yet you would have to seriously think about asking Kitty Hawk to send you a replacement for the windshield. :bleh:

On ‎29‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 12:41 PM, Albeback52 said:

I cannot speak for others but, I am certainly not given to hysterical over reactions just because somebody puts an incorrect set of markings in a box. It's just a model after all and certainly not worth getting upset over.

1xJK8Gb.gif  

Exactly, as if it was the first time a manufacturer has included the wrong markings on a kit... :rolleyes: And were it not for that, then why not try to use your skull, be a little creative about it if somebody were so A*D*A*M*A*N*T on using those markings on the kit - how about some scratchbuilding? I bet it won't be that hard to modify the rear fuselage section to make the Hungarian version.

But I guess it's of much more use to throw a temper tantrum instead like, for instance, when certain manufacturer is said to be going to offer a tinted canopy with just their first 3000-kit run, huh, Gabor? For Christ sake! Then the next day someone's gonna start squealing because manufacturers are expected to release their kits already built. What about being a modeller for a spell, bloke? Most of the latest released kits in 2017 have come out with some sort of issue or another, so are you not going to go out of your way in order to try to correct them? Or is it better to you not to build 'em at all?

Cheers, Albie, my mate.

Unc2

• Like 1

Hello Uncle Uncool

We didn't overreact. These were only facts ! ( I am not talking about your nose !)

I just said that KH produced a very nice kit but a POC of a model  ( shape and buildability), and I never talked about the HB because it is not even worth to talk about it as this forum is dedicated to Scale Modeling.

K.H. and others of the same family are just interested in overflowing the market with their pieces of plastic. They are not at all concerned by quality and they really don't care a sh.it for the demanding customers.

Sometimes I ask myself if they've ever seen an aircraft !

Did they ever take the opportunity to correct the UU nose and the belly  with the release of the two seaters ?  You, see that kind of stuff is giving on my nerves. Maybe KH overreacted to the critcics by providing even more issues with their second release !

People who are buying this kind of product are participating in the oblivion of quality. The problem is , they are more and more, moreover they are ready to give a big sum of hard earned money for that...Something that I'll never understand.

Now , I suppose you will all be happy with your KH/HB kit but for me, that's the end of it. I do not see another serious manufacturer taking the risk of producing another New Tool 1/48 Su, now that KH scr...d the market.

Mr Modelsvit , if you hear me , pleaaaaaaaaazzzzzzzzz !

Madcop :sad:

• Like 1

On 1/30/2018 at 9:20 PM, madcop said:

Hello Uncle Uncool

Hello madcop

We didn't overreact. These were only facts ! ( I am not talking about your nose !)

Yes, you did. This would be you and that other Gabor bloke. :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVlQ7Ac5ULI

Oh, and those were not facts, but it was just your opinion, as what's right for you ain't right for everyone.

I just said that KH produced a very nice kit but a POC of a model  ( shape and buildability), and I never talked about the HB because it is not even worth to talk about it as this forum is dedicated to Scale Mod

Well, Kitty Hawk surely nailed the complex shape of the nose-windshield joint on the Fitter, something which was awfully hard for me to correct on the old Oez/KoPro/etc, kit. That was a limitation for me as a modeller, and I had no doubts at all when I saw what the CAD piccies showed about the Kitty Hawk Fitter with regard to that issue. Only evident issue left shapewise was the banana-like belly, which was now fixed by Mr Stanislav Petkov's awesome resin correction bit. As for the buildability, everyone was whining about the fuselage being comprised of six parts and how bad the fit was, until someone came up with the brilliant solution of building the three pieces on each half first and then gluing both fuselage halves together. Everything else is just a whiny sod to me.

K.H. and others of the same family are just interested in overflowing the market with their pieces of plastic. They are not at all concerned by quality and they really don't care a sh.it for the demanding customers.

Oh, every manufacturer has had their flaws, as there ain't (and will ne'er ever be) a kit that is perfect, and, taking that premise as a starting-point, the idea of modelling to me was always to try to build the most accurate replica of any given aircraft from a kit which is the best available in the market. I come to the forums to check how the fellas have tackled with correcting the issues on a kit, and stuff like that.

I'm quite sure I would be bored as hell if I ever had to build a kit out of the box, that it didn't need any attetion of some sort.

Did they ever take the opportunity to correct the UU nose and the belly  with the release of the two seaters ?  You, see that kind of stuff is giving on my nerves. Maybe KH overreacted to the critcics by providing even more issues with their second release !

People who are buying this kind of product are participating in the oblivion of quality. The problem is , they are more and more, moreover they are ready to give a big sum of hard earned money for that...Something that I'll never understand.

Me thinks your idea of modelling is very opposed to mine, which is why we would ne'er agree on anything; like, according to the way you think - your reasoning - you wouldn't get to buy many kits in your modelling life. That's a pity, 'cause there're a lot of kits out there that you'll be missing in the hope that some manufacturer releases a better one in future, like when you're ninety-nine years old and your eyesight, Alzheimer or Parkinson botches it completely for you. That's where your money is going to.

Cheers,

Unc2

• 1 month later...

So to sum it up, can someone please just list the pros and cons of buying and building this kit? 

I have been looking forward to build at least one Fitter and Kopro and its different brand incarnations has its basket full of own issues. I thought a new Fitter from another manufacturer will be able to address those issues but it seems KH has created more issues. 

So please I need some clarity from you experts :) 

1 hour ago, stalal said:

So to sum it up, can someone please just list the pros and cons of buying and building this kit? 

I have been looking forward to build at least one Fitter and Kopro and its different brand incarnations has its basket full of own issues. I thought a new Fitter from another manufacturer will be able to address those issues but it seems KH has created more issues. 

So please I need some clarity from you experts :) 

unfortunately I did not build mine yet, but KH seems to be the best shape, especially aound the canopy/ nose.

If you are concerned by the belly shape, add a CWS resin replacement.

You will definitely have to do something about the missing intake splitter plate.

(HAD models, Kasl,  scratch, )

if you are not too concerend with the front canopy shape, go for the Hobbyboss kit. It will be easier, as no corrections are actually available.....

refrain from buying a KP kit if it is not really really  cheap!

good luck!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, exdraken said:

unfortunately I did not build mine yet, but KH seems to be the best shape, especially aound the canopy/ nose.

If you are concerned by the belly shape, add a CWS resin replacement.

You will definitely have to do something about the missing intake splitter plate.

(HAD models, Kasl,  scratch, )

Just as my mate Werner has said, stalal. I got the Cold War Studio resin belly correction set, and it fits like a glove. Also got the HAD Models splitter plate correction bit. Kitty Hawk's hands down the best shaped Fitter kit in 1/48 in spite of the inaccuracies regarding the belly and the splitter plate.

4 hours ago, exdraken said:

if you are not too concerend with the front canopy shape, go for the Hobbyboss kit. It will be easier, as no corrections are actually available.....

refrain from buying a KP kit if it is not really really  cheap!

I wouldn't go the Hobby Boss way 'cause the whole forward fuselage is just like that on the old KP kit - if not worse still. There are pictures somewhere which show the transversal section of the front fuselage being square instead of round - that is worse than in the old Oez/KoPro kit! And the canopy/nose issue is just the same as that in the old kit.

• Like 4

On 1/9/2018 at 2:27 AM, lesthegringo said:

I'm sorry to say that unless this kit comes to the shelves for a lot less than the prices we were seeing for the original KH Su-22 kit, I won't be bothering. If I am going to spend that sort of money I expect to not have to deal with that absolutely farcical error of the the nose centrebody by having to to pay extra for a resin unit that is actually simpler in execution than the models effort.

I can deal with the multi part fuselage and the other more esoteric errors, but I can't get past that nose at that price. Fix the nose or drop the price, KH

Les

I cant agree more! If I m paying this type of money, I m expecting a 100% accurate kit without lazy instructions layout errors and compromises in engineering.